Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by geoffk
I put my request in 8:10EST
you have to go under card management > request replacement card.
it asks why you want a replacement and "metal card" is an option

it gave me 2 shipping options, both $0 one arrive by april 4th and another by march 31st so i selected tomorrow
Weird - 'Metal Card' is not an option for me. I just did 'Damaged Card'.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 7:58 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gunner14
Weird - 'Metal Card' is not an option for me. I just did 'Damaged Card'.
Does your current card have the contactless feature?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by mia
Does your current card have the contactless feature?
It does
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:17 am
mia

Ms mia's personal Platinum card also has the Contactless feature, and also does not show the online option to order a metal card. Based on this sample of two I predict that you will receive another plastic card, with Contactless, and that the only way to switch to a metal card will be to call and opt out of Contactless. This seems to be further evidence that Contactless will not be available on the metal cards.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond
I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me. It is being sent UPS next day at no charge
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by ehuang03
Just got off the phone also with a rep and she told me we could request the metal card starting at 9 am EST. I'm chatting with a customer rep online now and asked if I could request the metal card now. After a few security questions, he processed it fine.

Also, make sure to tell them to next day air it if you want the card ASAP. The rep sent mines via USPS and when I asked about it, he says he can't change it since he already submitted it. He didn't even ask me what shipping method I want. I've always been asked if I wanted it via UPSP or UPS.
Just wanted to update this. For anyone who did it yesterday like myself. I just called the rep to see if they could expedite it and she told me, the one I'll be getting is a plastic one. She mentioned to me that the system wouldn't let them do metal replacements until today, so the online chat reps who did it yesterday are sending out plastic cards. So The service rep over the phone went ahead and processed a metal card for me and I'll be getting that tomorrow. Luckily I called this morning.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by mia
Ms mia's personal Platinum card also has the Contactless feature, and also does not show the online option to order a metal card. Based on this sample of two I predict that you will receive another plastic card, with Contactless, and that the only way to switch to a metal card will be to call and opt out of Contactless. This seems to be further evidence that Contactless will not be available on the metal cards.
Bleh
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Hertz #1 Club President's Circle; National Executive Elite; Marriott Titanium; AA Executive Plat
Originally Posted by davidgrahammd
I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me. It is being sent UPS next day at no charge
where did you see that option when ordering a replacement for a damaged card?

i don't see one
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:39 am

You don't have the option to explicitly say you want the card to be metal. By requesting a replacement card, they send metal by default (per CR rep I spoke to)
Old Mar 30, 2017, 8:43 am
mia

Originally Posted by geoffk
...card management > request replacement card.
it asks why you want a replacement and "metal card" is an option
Originally Posted by davidgrahammd
I just ordered online and "metal card" was an option for me.
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
You don't have the option to explicitly say you want the card to be metal. By requesting a replacement card, they send metal by default (per CR rep I spoke to)
We have two reports that metal card is an explicit online option. Regardless of what a CSR states, I expect that if you don't see it offered, you will receive plastic.

Last edited by mia; Mar 30, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:13 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I ordered mine online this morning and for my account, there was a single combined option for Damaged Card / Metal Card.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Tried to order mine online when I got to work, but you need the 3 digit security code off the back, and as usual when I'm not traveling, my Platinum card is resting comfortably in my credit card stack at home. Guess it'll have to wait until I get home.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: Etihad Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Called about 30 minutes ago, because I needed the metal card shipped to a different US Address than my billing. Was told that because they're overwhelmed, the card could not be shipped overnight, and could only be send First Class Mail. Card should arrive by end of next week.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by mia
We have two reports that metal card is an explicit online option. Regardless of what a CSR states, I expect that if you don't see it offered, you will receive plastic.
Despite earlier reports I've also noticed several co-brand people report they lack the "metal card" option and I haven't seen any explicit DPs that co-brands are getting it. I wonder if they aren't prepared for the extra printing so those aren't available yet.

Last edited by gregsfortytwo; Mar 30, 2017 at 10:41 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Sounds like the expected demand may have been too low to make it worthwhile to have a separate line just for metal contactless cards. I'd almost go as far as to say that contactless for US AmEx cards in general is only worth the trouble for them because of the aggregate demand across all of their cards; metal is apparently desired by consumers way more considering the posts here about them being "overwhelmed".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.