Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:29 am

Well, as expected, the brown truck didn't show up with my new metal.

Did I not place the order early enough? The request was made directly through the website on 03/30/2017, around 9:15am PST.

I'd like to test drive it on my TX vacation next week.

Just checked the website and it shows a delayed message with no shipping date estimate.

Last edited by radiolarian; Apr 1, 2017 at 12:37 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:18 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
There is one bank in Singapore which issues such a card. See HERE. No information about how well it works.

And if anyone thinks that cost of a Plat Charge card in the US is high, the premium card made from metal from DBS cost around USD2,200 a year. But it does get you 100k airmiles and 2 free nights at luxury hotels

Last edited by Lonsinla; Apr 1, 2017 at 6:11 am
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by radiolarian
Well, as expected, the brown truck didn't show up with my new metal.

Did I not place the order early enough? The request was made directly through the website on 03/30/2017, around 9:15am PST.

I'd like to test drive it on my TX vacation next week.

Just checked the website and it shows a delayed message with no shipping date estimate.
I ordered mine at 9:30 AM eastern and it shows the same thing. hear its pretty delayed
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:54 am
kyh

This is ridiculous. Don't give me a next day delivery date and then switch the delivery date to "Currently Unavailable" after not being able to fulfill the delivery.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Got an email this morning saying that my card had been shipped via UPS and was in transit. However, the tracking number field was left blank. What a disaster.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Well, the CSR I talked to was super nice and apologetic, but AMEX really doesn't have a lot of backup options.

I ordered the replacement because I am at home this week and they said I would get it Friday, but I didn't get it. Unfortunately, I will be away from home next week and I don't want the card sitting at my front door for possibly days.

Here were my suggestions:

1. Can I cancel the replacement request? - nope
2. Can I switch the shipping method to USPS? - nope
3. Can I have the processing center delay shipping my card until I return? - nope

One interesting thing to note. The CSR clearly put the blame on UPS/FedEX saying they (UPS/FedEx) couldn't process the volume.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 12:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by TWAforever

1. Can I cancel the replacement request? - nope
2. Can I switch the shipping method to USPS? - nope
3. Can I have the processing center delay shipping my card until I return? - nope

One interesting thing to note. The CSR clearly put the blame on UPS/FedEx saying they (UPS/FedEx) couldn't process the volume.
4. Can I sign up for (free) UPS MyChoice and have a vacation hold set until I'm home? Yup.

As for the blame game, I can tell you from first-hand experience that FDR in Omaha (where UPS says my card is coming from) lacks the output capacity to overwhelm either UPS or FedEx except when they forget to mention until 6 PM that they are going to have a slight 3,000% spike in daily volume.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL PM, BA Gold, UA Gold, Bonvoy LT PLT
Originally Posted by rjtfdx
4. Can I sign up for (free) UPS MyChoice and have a vacation hold set until I'm home? Yup.
Yes, that is my backup plan.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: 1K, HH Gold VIP, Plat PC, Ex National, Plat Amex
Originally Posted by TWAforever
Yes, that is my backup plan.
My experience with ups mychoice is that you have to pay every time a package is held back while you are on vacation. USPS is the only one that has free on vacation holds.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:33 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by miketravelparty
My experience with ups mychoice is that you have to pay every time a package is held back while you are on vacation. USPS is the only one that has free on vacation holds.
IIRC, you can have it redirected to a nearby UPS store for free. They hold for a week or two.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
Well, despite being told that my card would be delayed by a week, this evening I received an email from UPS telling me that the card had shipped and will be here on Monday. TBD!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Looks like I'm one of the few lucky ones to actually receive my metal card yesterday (Friday 3/31). I called Amex at 9:23 AM Eastern on Thursday, and the rep sent FedEx First Overnight (AM delivery next day) without me even asking. Sure enough, the card came to my office at 8:30 Friday morning. First use was for a $3.00 coffee cake at the Capital One Cafe--yes, ironic as it is that they accept Amex.

One potential disappointment is that the new card has a different 4-digit security code and 03/2022 expiration date. The Amex phone CSR assured me the expiration date and security code would be the same on the metal card as they were on the plastic card. I have about 20 monthly recurring charges of various sorts that go to my Platinum card, so it'd be a hassle to change the card info on every single one.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
One potential disappointment is that the new card has a different 4-digit security code and 03/2022 expiration date. The Amex phone CSR assured me the expiration date and security code would be the same on the metal card as they were on the plastic card. I have about 20 monthly recurring charges of various sorts that go to my Platinum card, so it'd be a hassle to change the card info on every single one.
wahooflyer: my business does A LOT of credit card processing (over the Internet). I'm pretty sure your recurring charges will continue to go through.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
Looks like I'm one of the few lucky ones to actually receive my metal card yesterday (Friday 3/31). I called Amex at 9:23 AM Eastern on Thursday, and the rep sent FedEx First Overnight (AM delivery next day) without me even asking. Sure enough, the card came to my office at 8:30 Friday morning. First use was for a $3.00 coffee cake at the Capital One Cafe--yes, ironic as it is that they accept Amex.

I'm pretty sure Amex will authorize the recurring charges and the vendor won't know the difference. This has happened to me before on a few occasions, but it was the first time it happened that I was caught off guard. I had a recurring payment I didn't want to pay, so instead of cancelling, I just let it roll since I had downgraded my credit card to a new product (number stayed the same, but other codes changed). To my surprise I found the recurring charge on my new card. It's some kind of feature I guess.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by nyc2cal
wahooflyer: my business does A LOT of credit card processing (over the Internet). I'm pretty sure your recurring charges will continue to go through.
Good to know. I had a vague recollection that this was the case for recurring charges on some credit cards, but I didn't remember if it was Visa, MasterCard or Amex.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.