Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Re: those who want a metal-less card, I typically use a Gold AMEX card to avoid the flashiness of the platinum/metal card. I don’t like the ostentatious attitude associated with using a Platinum card when around employees, colleagues, etc.
I thought that was more a Centurion card stuff. Platinum is pretty common now, isn't it?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Gasolin
I thought that was more a Centurion card stuff. Platinum is pretty common now, isn't it?
One of the single most common cards I see these days
kennycrudup and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yeah, here in Cali they're everywhere. Nobody GAS.

... but apparently in some circles there's cachet attached to certain AmEx cards; I still get a chuckle out of the poster who asked "who has a plat that rides public transportation?"
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:55 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kennycrudup

... but apparently in some circles there's cachet attached to certain AmEx cards; I still get a chuckle out of the poster who asked "who has a plat that rides public transportation?"
I do ride public transit, and sometimes even pay for it with the metal Amex Plat or plastic Centurion cards. Most people pay no attention to which card someone else is using. Cards are cards. Except the plastic on the metal Amex cards is giving me more problems than the plastic-plastic Amex cards.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GUWonder

I do ride public transit, and sometimes even pay for it with the metal Amex Plat or plastic Centurion cards. Most people pay no attention to which card someone else is using. Cards are cards. Except the plastic on the metal Amex cards is giving me more problems than the plastic-plastic Amex cards.
Yeah I've found the only time people really pay attention to the metal cards is when they get jammed in card readers or start delaminating and won't swipe properly. Outside of that, nobody cares.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Are you in the service industry where other people hand over their cards to you for payment processing?
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
Are you in the service industry where other people hand over their cards to you for payment processing?
Can't speak to @Adelphos' experience, but I quite often find myself in the situation of "standing in line behind someone currently paying".
Adelphos and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
My only concern is whether more metal cards will set off the scanner when I go through security. I currently have two: Amex Plat and Chase SR. It’s not a big deal, but I’d prefer to keep my wallet in my pocket.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 10:21 pm

They don't. Neither does my office's entry keyfob, also in my wallet. Nor my metal smartwatch, come to think of it.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 1:07 am

Can't speak to @Adelphos' experience, but I quite often find myself in the situation of "standing in line behind someone currently paying".
Surely people with metal Amex cards don't do anything as mundane as actually stand in line ??? Especially not while waiting for anything as uncivilized as a bus or a tram
Old Jun 25, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
They don't. Neither does my office's entry keyfob, also in my wallet. Nor my metal smartwatch, come to think of it.
I feel like I once learned that WTMDs scan in vertical zones. If I'm wearing a heavy watch, I will walk through the metal detector with that wrist across my chest (basically looks like I'm scratching my opposite shoulder as I'm walking through). This raises the metal in my watch up and away from my lower body where my wallet and belt are.

In my very unscientific testing when I learned about this - I used the ATL PreCheck checkpoint three times in the course of a week. Literally the same line and WTMD each time. Same shoes, belt, watch, wallet. Similar clothing (jeans and a polo shirt). WTMD alarmed the first time when I walked through normally and I had to dump my watch into my bin (which thankfully was still on the conveyor thing). Did not alarm the next two times when I raised my watch hand up.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 8:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
I feel like I once learned that WTMDs scan in vertical zones. If I'm wearing a heavy watch, I will walk through the metal detector with that wrist across my chest (basically looks like I'm scratching my opposite shoulder as I'm walking through). This raises the metal in my watch up and away from my lower body where my wallet and belt are.

In my very unscientific testing when I learned about this - I used the ATL PreCheck checkpoint three times in the course of a week. Literally the same line and WTMD each time. Same shoes, belt, watch, wallet. Similar clothing (jeans and a polo shirt). WTMD alarmed the first time when I walked through normally and I had to dump my watch into my bin (which thankfully was still on the conveyor thing). Did not alarm the next two times when I raised my watch hand up.
Most WTMDs scan based on vertical zones. Also some WTMDs have indicators showing which vertical zone was triggered when the passenger walk-thru alarmed the machine.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Most WTMDs scan based on vertical zones. Also some WTMDs have indicators showing which vertical zone was triggered when the passenger walk-thru alarmed the machine.
There can also be a few lateral zones, but the number of vertical zones are most commonly way more in number than the number of lateral zones. 20 x 3 would make for 60 localization zones.

Procurement information would probably inform how many localization zones the TSA wants.
gooselee likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jun 25, 2019 at 10:50 am
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold

I think that was me who asked it. But to be fair, the context was NYC, and they were talking about forcing contactless in NYC because supposedly MTA is going full contactless.

But maybe it was just me then, I rarely take the subway even when I live in NYC but listen, apparently I am wrong so. Didn't think that was any sort of comment related to cachet or whatever. There is a huge distance between not necessarily taking often the subway and being truly wealthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.