American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 8, 19, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
What? That is very weird. Why would they do that? I don't think people who use a AMEX even use the subway or the bus...
Nothing wrong with using public transportation. It is the best way to get around the city. I've seen a guy getting on a bus reaching for his transit card, and he had a Centurion card in his wallet.
Old Jun 8, 19, 3:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Starriott Platinum, Hyatt FreeBottleofWaterist
Originally Posted by WantsAmex View Post
Amex told me because I'm in New York, they can only send me a contactless card (because MTA is now contactless here). No longer possible to get a full metal card. I wish I had requested my replacement sooner.
That sounds really random/made up. I mean how many stations have contactless? Like 5? If it's a legit reason it's an incredibly stupid one, but it wouldn't surprise me if they stopped putting out the full metal cards because of the roll out of contactless.
Old Jun 8, 19, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck View Post
That sounds really random/made up. I mean how many stations have contactless? Like 5? If it's a legit reason it's an incredibly stupid one, but it wouldn't surprise me if they stopped putting out the full metal cards because of the roll out of contactless.
I kinda wonder how many would opt out of contactless if that were still an option. I would hope that it's not that many but who knows?
Old Jun 9, 19, 10:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
What I don't understand is that apparently, we can order Platinum metal without contactless and that was cleared up. But that has changed for people in NYC?
Old Jun 9, 19, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
What I don't understand is that apparently, we can order Platinum metal without contactless and that was cleared up. But that has changed for people in NYC?
That was true before, but their push for contactless might have eliminated that option for everyone.
Old Jun 11, 19, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger View Post
My contactless Platinum card is plastic, not metal. I use the contactless Hilton Amex for better rewards on day to day spending. Worked flawlessly with London Underground (kept card in my shirt pocket).
The weight of the card feels the same.Metal Plat vs. Contactless Plat (with metal front and plastic back).

Without a scale, I couldn't tell you the weight difference.

I also have the contactless Gold, which is metal front and plastic back. My contactless Plat is still heavier than my contactless Gold, even though they are both metal front/plastic back.

Hope that helps
Old Jun 11, 19, 10:31 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Moderator action

Two dozen posts discussing contactless cards have been moved:

American Express USA contactless cards

If there are specific posts that you think ended up in the wrong thread, please click the triangular Alert icon in the bottom left of the misplaced post, and I will look at it.
Old Jun 17, 19, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, AAdvantage Gold, SPG/Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards
FYI, a metal, contactless Charles Schwab version of this card is available by request. Here it is next to two of Amex’ other metal, contactless cards. These feel slightly lighter than the “regular” Amex Platinum, but still pretty rigid and heavier than the Chase metal cards.

Statman likes this.
Old Jun 18, 19, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
That was true before, but their push for contactless might have eliminated that option for everyone.
I called back and got someone else recently. The rep made it sound like it'd take a bit of explicit explanation on his end when requesting the replacement in order for them to send me chip & signature being that I am in the tri-state area. He said he couldn't 100% guarantee it would not be the contactless card given my location, but if it wasn't, to call back and it would have to be escalated to senior management.

I received my card and it was the full metal, non-contactless (chip and signature). While its not impossible like rep #1 made it appear, if you really really dont want a contactless, it might take you a few calls/few replacements to get the legacy metal, chip & signature card. I wouldn't have escalated if they sent me a contactless again, but it seems like the push for contactless from Amex is pretty evident.
Old Jun 18, 19, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
FYI, a metal, contactless Charles Schwab version of this card is available by request. Here it is next to two of Amex’ other metal, contactless cards. These feel slightly lighter than the “regular” Amex Platinum, but still pretty rigid and heavier than the Chase metal cards.

To add a related datapoint, I opened a new Schwab plat about a month ago and received the contactless so it looks like that's the default now.

Last edited by mia; Jun 19, 19 at 7:46 am Reason: Remove quoted image
Old Jun 19, 19, 1:58 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Re: those who want a metal-less card, I typically use a Gold AMEX card to avoid the flashiness of the platinum/metal card. I don’t like the ostentatious attitude associated with using a Platinum card when around employees, colleagues, etc.
Old Jun 19, 19, 6:57 pm

the gold is metal too. and gold is more flashy than silver. So, not sure you're accomplishing what you think you are
Old Jun 19, 19, 7:27 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Supplementary Gold card issued on a Platinum account is plastic.
Old Jun 20, 19, 2:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
I don't think people who use a AMEX even use the subway or the bus
.... you're kidding, right?
Old Jun 20, 19, 2:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Tit Forever, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN CP, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WantsAmex View Post
No longer possible to get a full metal card.
What is a "Full Metal AmEx Card", though? Is/was there actually a metal Plat that doesn't have the plastic backing layer on the back (and I'm pretty sure on the front, too)?

Search this Thread