American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

Old May 28, 19, 9:57 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
I have a non-contactless Plat with a thin plastic layer on the back- ....
Ah. I will have to find the cancelled card that I think is all metal and check carefully, but of course it could have changed.
Old May 28, 19, 1:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, United Silver
Go back to old card?

Is it possible to go back a plastic card rather than staying with the metallic card?
Old May 30, 19, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup View Post
I have a non-contactless Plat with a thin plastic layer on the back- I know this, 'cause just like with my previous plastic cards, I'm starting to wear the metal card "out", too- the plastic lamination is beginning to lift on one side.

If there's an actual, all-metal card I'd like to get one, too- but the magstrip is on the plastic layer on my card (which is less than 18(...?) months old) and I didn't think they could put one on a metal card.
DP - my "all metal" card wore out like this as well. Asked for a replacement and got a contactless version of the metal card.

Question - do you have to activate the contactless function somehow? Mine didn't work the first (and only) time I tried.
Old May 30, 19, 7:26 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by andreraw View Post
....do you have to activate the contactless function somehow? Mine didn't work the first (and only) time I tried.
No, but you may need to have the BACK side of the card facing the sensor.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ekwang View Post
Is it possible to go back a plastic card rather than staying with the metallic card?
I was told no, but to echo this...

Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
I've been asking on my last couple calls with them to see if they can issue me a plastic car and have been told that Amex doesn't offer plastic versions of their metal cards, unless I want a "sleeper" green card (which doesn't work for me because it tends to cause confusion at airport lounges, etc.).
... I did add myself as an additional gold card user (free) and that's plastic. To your latter point I have not attempted Centurion Lounge access with it though, but can imagine it will cause confusion (if not outright denial since CL access isn't a benefit of additional gold cards)

I guess I could carry both with me and only use the metal card for CL admission
Old May 30, 19, 10:45 am
mia

Originally Posted by Zorak View Post

I guess I could carry both with me and only use the metal card for CL admission
You might also need the physical Platinum card for Skyclub admission (although there is a way to avoid this), and to enter Airspace or Escape lounges.
Old May 30, 19, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by mia View Post
You might also need the physical Platinum card for Skyclub admission (although there is a way to avoid this), and to enter Airspace or Escape lounges.
I have it linked to my SkyMiles account and have entered the SC just with a BP. But noted for the others as with CL.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 30, 19, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by andreraw View Post
DP - my "all metal" card wore out like this as well. Asked for a replacement and got a contactless version of the metal card.

Question - do you have to activate the contactless function somehow? Mine didn't work the first (and only) time I tried.
how does the card weight compare?
Old May 31, 19, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
No, but you may need to have the BACK side of the card facing the sensor.
Yes I I tried the back side - perhaps the fact it was in Europe.. So many times the locations that "accept Amex" (have the logo) actually find out that they don't with me...
Old May 31, 19, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by WantsAmex View Post
how does the card weight compare?
The weight didn't seem different, but I didn't think of measuring at the time.

And I ended up destroying (as much as I could) the other card. It took me a while and a couple of tools but managed to bend it and remove the card number info, etc. Wish they had sent the envelope to ship it to recycling
Old Jun 7, 19, 5:31 pm

Amex told me because I'm in New York, they can only send me a contactless card (because MTA is now contactless here). No longer possible to get a full metal card. I wish I had requested my replacement sooner.
Old Jun 7, 19, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Amex told me because I'm in New York, they can only send me a contactless card (because MTA is now contactless here). No longer possible to get a full metal card. I wish I had requested my replacement sooner.
I was under the impression that this was the case regardless of whether you're in NY.

(Yep, per this article. No specific mention of Platinum but I imagine that falls under "all".)
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:46 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
What? That is very weird. Why would they do that? I don't think people who use a AMEX even use the subway or the bus...
Old Jun 8, 19, 10:55 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
What? That is very weird. Why would they do that? I don't think people who use a AMEX even use the subway or the bus...
What's wrong with using the subway even if you have an Amex card? Have you seen the traffic in NY?
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:49 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / AF Silver
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
What's wrong with using the subway even if you have an Amex card? Have you seen the traffic in NY?
Sorry, I suppose my view is biased because I live near work within Manhattan so I just walk most of the time.

Search this Thread