American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)


Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

Old May 15, 18, 6:11 am
  #391  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,395
Moderator reminder

Please do not post if you do not have anything helpful to add to the discussion.
blaz, dpy940307 and cplush like this.
mia is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 8:14 am
  #392  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SJC/SFO
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Wow, just wow. If something as seemingly trivial as the physical characteristics of your credit card makes you this aggravated, then perhaps it's time to do something different. Switch to cash maybe?
When the metal card was originally released, there were literally pages of posts on this thread about how to get the card as soon as possible. There were even people from other countries voicing their displeasure with the fact they can't get it in their respective country. Nobody seemed to have found that weird.

I'm trying to provide a data point. My account is not compromised or expiring and my card is not damaged, lost or stolen. Yet Amex somehow feels the need to replace it early. The only reason I can find for that is that this is some kind of preemptive retention offer and the shiny metal object is supposed to convince me to keep the account. Honestly, I find that a sad move in the wrong direction. Instead of focusing on rewards and benefits, Amex is focusing on bling.
blaz is online now  
Old May 15, 18, 11:52 am
  #393  
Hilton Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: LGA, JFK
Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, AMEX Plat (Marriott Gold), AMEX Hilton Aspire (Hilton Diamond)
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
When the metal card was originally released, there were literally pages of posts on this thread about how to get the card as soon as possible. There were even people from other countries voicing their displeasure with the fact they can't get it in their respective country. Nobody seemed to have found that weird.

I'm trying to provide a data point. My account is not compromised or expiring and my card is not damaged, lost or stolen. Yet Amex somehow feels the need to replace it early. The only reason I can find for that is that this is some kind of preemptive retention offer and the shiny metal object is supposed to convince me to keep the account. Honestly, I find that a sad move in the wrong direction. Instead of focusing on rewards and benefits, Amex is focusing on bling.
It's just competition and marketing. chase sapphire reserve and citi prestige are both metal. AMEX doesn't want their product to fall behind the competitors. there's no need to read too much into it or get aggravated. if you don't like it you can switch
dpy940307 is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 12:09 pm
  #394  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: PHX, SEA
Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Posts: 3,195
Originally Posted by blaz View Post
Yes, it is in fact a waste of MY money. The metal card was introduced at the same time as the AF went up to $550, so I'm paying for this nonsense through the AF. But this is not the only reason I object to the metal card:

1. It is a waste of resources that could be better spent on meaningful things (like improvement to benefits, even if minor).
2. Sending out replacement cards when it is clearly not needed (mine expires in 2021) is environment pollution.
3. The metal card can not be shredded.
4. There is no contactless version of the fully metal card. There is a separate contactless version which is partly plastic and partly metal. The fully metal card can not be contactless, as it simply would not work.
5. You say they couldn't know that I won't be renewing. Yes, they could. I'm sure Amex has statistics on how many people renew their cards. Also, common sense dictates that most people cancel their cards *after* the AF is billed, not before.
6. Why do you assume that more people like the metal card? Am I missing something? What exactly is the attraction? As someone in this thread said "it is a payment object" and I will add "and not a piece of jewelry".
Hi blaz, I thought some of your questions were on-topic enough to reply to (after the moderator warning).

You associate the metal card with your AF increase, but are overlooking that Amex added the Uber benefit and started including guest access with Priority Pass. It isn't a $100 piece of metal.

Regarding environmental concerns, I think that in your efforts to "throw shade" on Amex, you have forgotten that it's plastic most environmentalists are upset with, not metal. Amex has sent me a postage-paid envelope to return the card for destruction, and they might be recycling the metal!

And finally, regarding #6 , and why I assume most people like the metal card, you answered your own question when you said:

Originally Posted by blaz View Post
When the metal card was originally released, there were literally pages of posts on this thread about how to get the card as soon as possible. There were even people from other countries voicing their displeasure with the fact they can't get it in their respective country. Nobody seemed to have found that weird.
I don't find it weird that folks like a little bling, especially the type of person who frequents a "Credit, Debit, and Prepaid Card Programs" forum! But as is established, the plastic card can still be used and the included envelope can be used to send the card back.
Gig103 is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 2:11 pm
  #395  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: FL
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,168
Correct.

They added: 2 free guest with priority pass.
More centurion lounges.
5x points on airlines and 5x on prepaid hotels.
$200 to spend on Uber or UberEats.
lotrbfme is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 3:25 pm
  #396  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,395
Originally Posted by dpy940307 View Post
... chase sapphire reserve and citi prestige are both metal. ...
True, but American Express started this by issuing the $2500 Centurion as a metal card, and now metal has become a standard feature of cards in the ~$400+ range, which means the distinctiveness has been eroded, and they need to think of something else.

Some people have mentioned that they find metal cards more durable, but this may be as much due to the elimination of embossed text as the metal itself.
mia is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 4:19 pm
  #397  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 13,187
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Some people have mentioned that they find metal cards more durable, but this may be as much due to the elimination of embossed text as the metal itself.
That seems to only apply if the card is completely metal, right? My CSR is pretty scratched up due to it being plastic on the outside.
tmiw is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 6:34 pm
  #398  
Suspended
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: EWR/PHL/BWI
Posts: 2,574
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post

That seems to only apply if the card is completely metal, right? My CSR is pretty scratched up due to it being plastic on the outside.
The Chase CSR is very laminated. AmEX Plat has the protective coating on the outside. Also, light colored cards are better to keep clean.
RedSun is offline  
Old May 15, 18, 7:38 pm
  #399  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SJC/SFO
Posts: 308
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
You associate the metal card with your AF increase, but are overlooking that Amex added the Uber benefit and started including guest access with Priority Pass. It isn't a $100 piece of metal.
Of course I didn't think that the entire $100 increase went into producing a metal card, that would be silly. I was responding to a comment from someone else who claimed that I shouldn't care, because I didn't pay for the metal version. I stipulate that I did, because the cost of issuing the metal card is included as part of the increased AF.

Regarding environmental concerns, I think that in your efforts to "throw shade" on Amex, you have forgotten that it's plastic most environmentalists are upset with, not metal. Amex has sent me a postage-paid envelope to return the card for destruction, and they might be recycling the metal!
I just received the replacement and they did no such thing. Also, what bothers me is not the fact that the card is metal, but the fact that they are sending me one when it is not needed. I could have used the plastic one until its expiration date in 2021. Obviously, a single card sent to me won't make a difference, but keep in mind that there are millions of Platinum cards in circulation and Amex is presumably reissuing all of them.
blaz is online now  
Old May 15, 18, 7:41 pm
  #400  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SJC/SFO
Posts: 308
In an interesting twist, the Platinum replacement I received in the mail today came with contactless. If I look at the card from the side, I can see that it is made of multiple layers, which is similar to the CSR, i.e. it is not one solid piece of metal. I guess that answers my questions of why they reissued it, it wasn't because of plastic vs metal, it seems like they're starting to push contactless. My previous plastic version didn't have contactless while my EveryDay, which I acquired way before the Platinum, did have contacless. Amex seems to be all over the place regarding that feature.
blaz is online now  
Old May 16, 18, 6:39 am
  #401  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,887
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Some people have mentioned that they find metal cards more durable, but this may be as much due to the elimination of embossed text as the metal itself.
Interestingly, I was checking into a hotel last night and their computers were down, so they were doing old-school card imprint slips. Anyone trying to use a metal card like the Amex Plat or CSR or whatever had to fill out by hand a CC authorization form instead, since the lack of embossed numbers means you cant use the card for imprints. I thought it was mildly funny.
gooselee is offline  
Old May 16, 18, 7:42 am
  #402  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,889
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Interestingly, I was checking into a hotel last night and their computers were down, so they were doing old-school card imprint slips. Anyone trying to use a metal card like the Amex Plat or CSR or whatever had to fill out by hand a CC authorization form instead, since the lack of embossed numbers means you cant use the card for imprints. I thought it was mildly funny.
The new CSR card they mailed out has embossed letters and numbers both front and back. Name only on front. Name, numbers, exp date, and the 3-digit code on back.
Need is offline  
Old Oct 3, 18, 12:39 pm
  #403  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Philly, Madrid
Programs: Alaska MVP
Posts: 2,547
New Plat card is too fat!

Just got a new Plat card in the mail and it is annoyingly fat and inflexible. Why do they keep changing these cards and sending new ones out before the old ones expire? If all the cards in my wallet follow suit they won't all fit.

My old one doesn't expire until 11/19, so I don't think I'm gonna active this new one if I don't have to. I guess I'll call to ask if I can just keep using the old one and see what they say.
srodr is offline  
Old Oct 3, 18, 12:59 pm
  #404  
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 38,395
I assume you mean the replacement card is thicker? Are both cards metal? Does either card have the Contactless feature?
mia is offline  
Old Oct 3, 18, 1:01 pm
  #405  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: IAD/DCA
Posts: 31,510
metal is inflexible. am i missing a reason to desire flexibility?

i did not notice fatness, i only noticed heaviness leading to sliding out of old wallet 'pocket' in some situations

i will see if i can measure

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 3, 18 at 1:46 pm
Kagehitokiri is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread