American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 7, 17, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Any update as to when this is coming to the UK?
Old Sep 7, 17, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold,Club Accor Conci
Originally Posted by Gomac View Post
Any update as to when this is coming to the UK?
Most likely never, no UK cards are metal, so Amex have no real reason to do it as they don't need to compete. The same goes for Canada.
Old Sep 21, 17, 6:01 am

Does Amex offer a plastic card instead for platinum? With all the other cards I carry, I hate the added weight of the metal card.
Old Sep 21, 17, 8:05 am

Man, wish these cards would come to Canada...
Old Oct 24, 17, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by brillb View Post
My attempts to get an amex representative to even listen to what I was trying to explain have been futile. I literally just had one of them tell me "your card isn't contactless" <facepalm>!!
Iím finding I have better luck with online chat customer service these days. I had called to request a contactless card, CSR tried to tell me they didnít exist, and had the nerve to be annoyed when I insisted they did. He took more than 5 minutes to figure out it was possible, and then tried to rush off the phone even though I had another question. Which of course he could not answer so I told him he was very unhelpful and hung up. Proceeded to do online chat and the CSR was so much more helpful and effective.

Havenít tried my contactless feature yet but will be sure to report back when I do.
Old Oct 24, 17, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I got the contractors metal card back when they were first released. Have used it here and there (granted, all within the US), mostly at vending machines and kiosks, etc. Works great IME. Took me a few times to realize it's really just a tap that's needed, not hold it there until something happens.

I have another contactless credit card and a transit card and usually a hotel key in my wallet, so currently unable to do the swipe-the-whole-wallet trick.
Old Dec 12, 17, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by baydude View Post
Does Amex offer a plastic card instead for platinum? With all the other cards I carry, I hate the added weight of the metal card.
Any information on this? I have a new AMEX platinum account, and I've been issued metal cards for myself and my companion cards. We don't want metal. I don't want the weight (and will it set off the metal detector at airports?), the pretentiousness, and the occasional questions from servers/merchants as to why I have such a weird card (I average one such query a week). The only plus to me on the metal is that it's now much easier to read the card numbers on the back: the old plastic cards had a unique problem with that where the logo obscured the numbers. I think I'd still rather have the old cards, though.

If I call AMEX, will they ship me plastic replacement cards?

BTW, I already have a US Bank Altitude metal card (I haven't called about that one yet). It weighs 16 grams. My AMEX Platinum weighs 19 grams. It's a lot of weight. FYI, 19 grams is the equivalent of 5 plastic cards.

Last edited by iahphx; Dec 12, 17 at 4:05 pm Reason: more
Old Dec 12, 17, 4:05 pm

I asked last week about getting a plastic card instead. The answer was a resounding no.
Old Dec 12, 17, 4:28 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Any information on this? I have a new AMEX platinum account, and I've been issued metal cards for myself and my companion cards. We don't want metal. I don't want the weight (and will it set off the metal detector at airports?), the pretentiousness, and the occasional questions from servers/merchants as to why I have such a weird card (I average one such query a week). The only plus to me on the metal is that it's now much easier to read the card numbers on the back: the old plastic cards had a unique problem with that where the logo obscured the numbers. I think I'd still rather have the old cards, though.

If I call AMEX, will they ship me plastic replacement cards?

BTW, I already have a US Bank Altitude metal card (I haven't called about that one yet). It weighs 16 grams. My AMEX Platinum weighs 19 grams. It's a lot of weight. FYI, 19 grams is the equivalent of 5 plastic cards.
Might be time to start working out a bit more in the gym.
Old Dec 12, 17, 4:34 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
A workaround is to order a free supplementary Gold card in your own name. It will be plastic. I think you would still need the physical Platinum card for lounge access at Airspace, Centurion, Delta and Escape.
Old Dec 12, 17, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by iahphx View Post
Usually the metal cards do not set off metal detectors.

I did discover the lamination is poor on the AMEX Plat; I do not recommend using it as an ice scraper.
Old Dec 12, 17, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
Might be time to start working out a bit more in the gym.
It's funny, but for men, large wallets CAN actually be harmful for your health. Sitting on a large wallet can cause severe back pain. I know it's true -- it happened to me. I now keep my wallet in my front pocket, and try to carry as few cards as possible. No more back pain.

https://www.axesswallets.com/blogs/b...ower-back-pain
Old Dec 13, 17, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Usually the metal cards do not set off metal detectors.

I did discover the lamination is poor on the AMEX Plat; I do not recommend using it as an ice scraper.
The Platinum is meant to dig lines in a coke stash, not to crush ice for cocktails, you are at te wrong end of the party.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old May 13, 18, 4:39 pm

I just received an email that a replacement card is in the mail. My current (plastic) card doesn't expire until 2021 and I had no intention of replacing it with the pretentious, pointless and wasteful metal version. The annual fee is coming up on this account in June and I will be cancelling. What a waste - why are they sending it now? They could at least wait until they annual fee comes up. It seems Amex is intentionally sending me the metal card right after my anniversary date hoping this will somehow convince me to keep it - it can't be a coincidence that the email came just a couple of days after my anniversary date of May 9.

As part of our dedication to your Membership, and to ensure you have the latest version available, you will receive a new Card to begin using for your purchases.
What a load of c......
Old May 13, 18, 4:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

In my wallet, actually the AmEx Platinum card is the best.

The Chase CSR gets dirty from dust and even water's hand. The first card already separated.
The Chase Ritz card is a piece of solid metal. It is so heavy, so raw. It is not even a piece of art. It can be used for self defense.

The Plat card is still shinny, refined and the weight is just perfect. It feels like a piece of art. I would not want to go back to the plastic Plat.

Search this Thread