Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Contactless not working in metal cards

I'm now on to my 2nd metal AXP Platinum card with contactless. In both of them, the contactless chip is somehow defective. At terminals where the vendor lets me see the whole error, it says either "read failed" or "unknown card type". My blue cash amex also has contactless and works totally fine at the same merchants and same terminals.

My attempts to get an amex representative to even listen to what I was trying to explain have been futile. I literally just had one of them tell me "your card isn't contactless" <facepalm>!!

Has anyone had any luck actually using contactless in their new metal Platinum card? For reference both defective cards say card stock id 5528 CS 02/17 in bottom right on back, under the contactless logo.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by brillb
Has anyone had any luck actually using contactless in their new metal Platinum card?.
Yes.
Old May 19, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Originally Posted by jhartvu
Yes.
Hmm.. Was your card rush-processing or arrived via normal mail, and is yours printed on the same card stock that I have? Both of mine were printed and delivered next-day emergency replacement, so I'm suspicious they are programming something wrong in their overnight creation of the metal cards.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Hmm.. Was your card rush-processing or arrived via normal mail, and is yours printed on the same card stock that I have? Both of mine were printed and delivered next-day emergency replacement, so I'm suspicious they are programming something wrong in their overnight creation of the metal cards.
I haven't tried contact less on my Plat yet, but FWIW I have the same 5528 code on mine and it was NOT a rush replacement as I didn't really have an urgent need... I was just upgrading to conntactless after learning it was available. IIRC mine shipped two days after I ordered it and arrived a couple days after that.
Old May 20, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
My metal Plat card was overnighted, and contactless works fine.
Old May 20, 2017, 7:26 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Contactless worked at Best Buy today for $200
Old May 20, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
My attempts to get an amex representative to even listen to what I was trying to explain have been futile. I literally just had one of them tell me "your card isn't contactless" <facepalm>!!
Not sure why companies hire people, fail to train them, and are willing to embarrass themselves to save a few bucks. The people who help customers with inquiries on chat and on the phone represent the company.

A customer service rep needs to understand that customers know what card they have.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Not sure why companies hire people, fail to train them, and are willing to embarrass themselves to save a few bucks. The people who help customers with inquiries on chat and on the phone represent the company.

A customer service rep needs to understand that customers know what card they have.
In fairness, contactless isn't exactly a common request. Not that it excuses AmEx CS but it probably explains at least some of the issues.
Old May 23, 2017, 11:14 am

Just another DP: I'm not a "new cardmember" but upgraded from PRG to Plat and got the welcome kit with the wood display.
Old May 24, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
I'm now on to my 2nd metal AXP Platinum card with contactless. In both of them, the contactless chip is somehow defective. At terminals where the vendor lets me see the whole error, it says either "read failed" or "unknown card type". My blue cash amex also has contactless and works totally fine at the same merchants and same terminals.

Has anyone had any luck actually using contactless in their new metal Platinum card? For reference both defective cards say card stock id 5528 CS 02/17 in bottom right on back, under the contactless logo.
Just curious as a sidebar issue with contactless payment-- I have a foreign international dollar card. When I travel to Canada, I NEVER have a problem using the contactless payment. (In fact, when I recently visited Toronto by air, I found that AMEX was so wide-spread, I never exchanged any money! I paid for everything from the public transport to/from airport and in city, bread shop, souvenirs, hotel, theater, museum admission and restaurant meals using contactless payment.) . When I use the card in the U.S., I have consistent problems making payments on terminals that advertise contactless payment. Over time, I have come to the following assumptions: (a) some terminals may advertise the contactless payment but may have it turned off; (b) some terminals may advertise contactless payment but it does not activate until the cashier presses the right button; if I try too early, it does not work; (c) some terminals may possibly be rejecting me because I am making a high cost transaction and it reverts to Chip & PIN while it may accept a contactless payment if the cost had been lower. Even McDonald's used to advertise contactless payment at every terminal; now that I have the contactless card, it appears they are dropping the technology at many locations...

Just curious if others have a similar experience...

Last edited by LAXRuss; May 24, 2017 at 12:30 pm
Old May 24, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
Just curious as a sidebar issue with contactless payment.
Hello LAXRuss, I believe it's because AmEx enforces EMV contactless payments and will reject if it's MSD contactless. Check on this thread. There were some posts about AmEx contactless payments having issues in the US.
Old May 24, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
Over time, I have come to the following assumptions: (a) some terminals may advertise the contactless payment but may have it turned off; (b) some terminals may advertise contactless payment but it does not activate until the cashier presses the right button; if I try too early, it does not work; (c) some terminals may possibly be rejecting me because I am making a high cost transaction and it reverts to Chip & PIN while it may accept a contactless payment if the cost had been lower. Even McDonald's used to advertise contactless payment at every terminal; now that I have the contactless card, it appears they are dropping the technology at many locations...

Just curious if others have a similar experience...
The US doesn't have a contactless limit so that shouldn't be the reason why you can't tap.

As for "dropping" support it's more that they're putting the reader inside the display now instead of having an external attachment. Which would be fine except that a lot of these places don't obviously show that you can still tap.

Originally Posted by Majuki
Hello LAXRuss, I believe it's because AmEx enforces EMV contactless payments and will reject if it's MSD contactless. Check on this thread. There were some posts about AmEx contactless payments having issues in the US.
I think AmEx and MC mandate support for both, actually, at least for physical cards. It's Visa that usually causes problems.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:01 pm

I'm now on to my 4th physical card that still isn't working. I even got to try this one at a new kind of point of sale, a handheld device connected to Ethernet. As usual, it reported "unknown card type" for any taps of the Platinum, while my amex blue cash card then proceeded to work just fine via contactless.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I'm now on to my 4th physical card that still isn't working. I even got to try this one at a new kind of point of sale, a handheld device connected to Ethernet. As usual, it reported "unknown card type" for any taps of the Platinum, while my amex blue cash card then proceeded to work just fine via contactless.
I'm not sure why bad luck like that. I got my metal Plat card not long after they became available, and I've been able to use it without problems at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's by tapping (as a test, I don't use that card much, but wanted to make sure it worked).
Old Jul 9, 2017, 7:39 pm

For what it's worth, I initially requested the metal card, but I kept the plastic one as a backup. I noticed that the plastic card still works. It may not work right away though (merchant may have to swipe it a second time).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.