American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)


Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 26, 17, 7:49 pm
  #316  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 499
Does anyone know if the Schwab AMEX Platinum comes in contactless ?
steve4 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 17, 10:53 am
  #317  
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 3,531
Originally Posted by C W View Post
Does anybody know if activating your contactless card will deactivate your current metal non-contactless card?

I want the contacless for some cities, but mostly I prefer the non-contactless.
The contactless card can be used in contact-only terminals as well. There is no security risk to having a contactless card, unlike fearmongers sometimes claim.
AllieKat is offline  
Old Apr 27, 17, 1:34 pm
  #318  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by AllieKat View Post
The contactless card can be used in contact-only terminals as well. There is no security risk to having a contactless card, unlike fearmongers sometimes claim.
I'm not worried about security, after all that's Amex's liability, not mine.

I iust dont don't like how the contactless card looks and feels. See comparison linked in the wiki.
C W is offline  
Old Apr 30, 17, 4:05 am
  #319  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Posts: 2,031
Originally Posted by C W View Post
I'm not worried about security, after all that's Amex's liability, not mine.

I iust dont don't like how the contactless card looks and feels. See comparison linked in the wiki.
The contactless Platinum does seem to look uglier than the non-contactless version, which is weird because my contactless PRG looks better than the non-contactless version.
mikesyr18 is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 5:28 am
  #320  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: BOS/PVD/BDL
Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Posts: 725
I want to say that having the metal card for the month in my wallet with little use, the card is now stained all over and the mag swipe is gone in a lot of spaces. This doesn't happen with my plastic cards. The card went from something cool to something embarrassing to show people.
ktremor is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 7:43 am
  #321  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: RDU
Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Posts: 2,229
Originally Posted by ktremor View Post
I want to say that having the metal card for the month in my wallet with little use, the card is now stained all over and the mag swipe is gone in a lot of spaces. This doesn't happen with my plastic cards. The card went from something cool to something embarrassing to show people.
How often do you show your cards to people?

I must live on a different planet. For all I care, all cards could go back to the days of plain looking plastic things. As long as the purchases go through and I get my points/miles/cash back/rewards/etc, I'm fine regardless of how cute/precious/wallet candy the cards are.

</rant>

Had to get that off my chest. So far, my three week old metal Plat Amex looks pretty much as it did when I got it.
fliesdelta is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 7:48 am
  #322  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,270
Being from ATL, I grew up using credit cards as ice scrapers for car windshields in the winter. Can metal cards still serve this purpose or would they scratch the glass?

I would think they might actually work better after an actual ice storm (vs. just a frost dusting).
gooselee is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 8:59 am
  #323  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 225
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Being from ATL, I grew up using credit cards as ice scrapers for car windshields in the winter. Can metal cards still serve this purpose or would they scratch the glass?

I would think they might actually work better after an actual ice storm (vs. just a frost dusting).
This made me laugh! I remember using casette tape cases in the high school parking lot, LOL. Maybe just buy an ice scraper?
manda99 is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 9:17 am
  #324  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,270
Originally Posted by manda99 View Post
This made me laugh! I remember using casette tape cases in the high school parking lot, LOL. Maybe just buy an ice scraper?


It was only partially a joke . I've used cassette tapes too! Whatever works.

I had an ice scraper once. I left it in the shed behind by house in Maryland when I moved back home, along with my snow shovel. Sort of a symbolic gesture of one of the reasons I left that area.
gooselee is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 10:16 am
  #325  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Being from ATL, I grew up using credit cards as ice scrapers for car windshields in the winter. Can metal cards still serve this purpose or would they scratch the glass?

I would think they might actually work better after an actual ice storm (vs. just a frost dusting).
Stainless steel and most other metals cannot scratch glass. If there are any coatings on the windshield it may scratch them. Metal may also be more likely than plastic, due to its greater strength, to press gravel and grit against the glass in a way which may result in scratches.
C W is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 11:25 am
  #326  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 10,270
Originally Posted by C W View Post
Stainless steel and most other metals cannot scratch glass. If there are any coatings on the windshield it may scratch them. Metal may also be more likely than plastic, due to its greater strength, to press gravel and grit against the glass in a way which may result in scratches.
Jeez, dude. Way to be all smart and on-topic. Here I was just having some Friday morning fun.

Kidding, of course. That's a good point about the coatings and stuff. Though I've had instances where sand or something actually gets "stuck" in a plastic card and then that drags across the windshield.

I should just stay at home if there's frozen stuff outside.
gooselee is offline  
Old May 5, 17, 2:49 pm
  #327  
C W
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: LON, PDX
Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Posts: 2,064
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Jeez, dude. Way to be all smart and on-topic. Here I was just having some Friday morning fun.

Kidding, of course. That's a good point about the coatings and stuff. Though I've had instances where sand or something actually gets "stuck" in a plastic card and then that drags across the windshield.

I should just stay at home if there's frozen stuff outside.
Sorry, it's the chemist in me talking
C W is offline  
Old May 7, 17, 6:50 pm
  #328  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: IPT
Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Posts: 131
Originally Posted by Corsair66 View Post
OK, where else would one keep such a card? All of my other cards are in my wallet and the notion of keeping one or more in a separate location doesn't appeal. I'm still having trouble imagining what I'd gain from a contactless card over Apple Pay. It seems like a solution in search of a problem.
You're misunderstanding the order in which the technologies came in to existence. Apple Pay (and Android Pay, and NFC Samsung Pay) are phone-based implementations of contactless. Cards came first, phones came later - we just didn't get them here in the USA.

Contactless (NFC) payments are ISO/IEC 14443 protocol defined by EMVCo:
http://www.emvco.com/specifications.aspx?id=21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_smart_card

The physical cards with contactless chips in them have been around for more than a decade. At some point, the phone manufacturers realized they could put a chip in the phone that did the same thing as the chip in the plastic cards, with the added security of a PIN or fingerprint scan before the chip activates itself.
brillb is offline  
Old May 7, 17, 7:16 pm
  #329  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Posts: 14,464
Originally Posted by brillb View Post
You're misunderstanding the order in which the technologies came in to existence. Apple Pay (and Android Pay, and NFC Samsung Pay) are phone-based implementations of contactless. Cards came first, phones came later - we just didn't get them here in the USA.

Contactless (NFC) payments are ISO/IEC 14443 protocol defined by EMVCo:
http://www.emvco.com/specifications.aspx?id=21
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contactless_smart_card

The physical cards with contactless chips in them have been around for more than a decade. At some point, the phone manufacturers realized they could put a chip in the phone that did the same thing as the chip in the plastic cards, with the added security of a PIN or fingerprint scan before the chip activates itself.
I remember having a contactless-capable old Blue Cash card back in 2007 or so, actually. Of course, the novelty kinda wore off after the second or third time I tried using it at CVS--mainly because it was the only place around me that had the necessary readers. (And that doesn't get into their current--possibly undeserved--reputation for poor security that caused issuers to make them only available on an opt-in basis. Assuming they bothered having them at all.)
tmiw is offline  
Old May 7, 17, 9:31 pm
  #330  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: IPT
Programs: DL Diamond, Hilton Life Diamond, Hertz Presidents, former US former Charimans
Posts: 131
How do I get a plastic one again?

So my question after reading this whole thread - does anyone know how to get a plastic card again? I thought I was good for another 5 years but my number was stolen so Amex had to replace - and the new card I got is naturally metal. Except I don't want metal, and I'm being told there's no option for plastic. Clearly there must be some option - I just want the same plastic card as the rest of the world has, I don't need to "show off" with a metal card. And more importantly, I need to walk through a metal detector on a regular basis without a problem.

Does anyone know someone I can call or write to get a plastic card again?
brillb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: