American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 17, 1:36 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Airmiles, RBC Rewards, British Airways Avios, American Airlines Aadvantage
Do we know if it's coming to Canada or other countries and any word (estimate) on a timeline if it is?
Old Apr 18, 17, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by C W View Post
Sorry?
Info I posted made it into a wiki on FT. Was being sarcastic.

IE - My 'welcome kit' post is linked in Wiki so I feel special.
Old Apr 19, 17, 9:53 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
Info I posted made it into a wiki on FT. Was being sarcastic.

IE - My 'welcome kit' post is linked in Wiki so I feel special.
Ahh I see haha. Nice pictures by the way ^
Old Apr 19, 17, 11:40 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
What a great way to treat loyal cardmembers who've been paying the fee for years
Mrs. nnn got the wooden box as a new cardmember. She thought it was useless and a waste. She's not an FTer obviously.
Old Apr 19, 17, 2:55 pm

Finally received the metal card (not contactless). It is actually really nice, and even though it won't get much spend, it has taken pride of place in the front card slot of my wallet.
Old Apr 20, 17, 12:23 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, UA Gold
I must be the only one that doesn't like this card. It is a dull color (not "metallic" silver like the plastic one), heavy, and makes it more difficult to get adjacent cards in & out of my wallet.

Like many others I don't use it much, but when I do carry it, I'll probably bring my old plastic one.
Old Apr 20, 17, 12:55 pm

I don't mind the card by itself but this recent trend of metal cards is making my card holder heavy and I don't like that.
Old Apr 20, 17, 9:14 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, UA Gold
Does spend on the free Gold cards for authorized users count toward the sign on bonus $5k requirement?
Old Apr 20, 17, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Kadomony View Post
Does spend on the free Gold cards for authorized users count toward the sign on bonus $5k requirement?
Yes
Old Apr 20, 17, 9:48 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, UA Gold
Originally Posted by mhdena View Post
Yes
Thank you.
Old Apr 20, 17, 10:45 pm

There are several posts in this thread with folks receiving the contactless card-how many of you are having issues getting one? I've been told by AMEX CSRs that they're having a hard time keeping up with those as of late and to check back in about a week, and the two times I requested a contactless metal card I got metal cards without the feature...
Old Apr 21, 17, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by steveman518 View Post
There are several posts in this thread with folks receiving the contactless card-how many of you are having issues getting one? I've been told by AMEX CSRs that they're having a hard time keeping up with those as of late and to check back in about a week, and the two times I requested a contactless metal card I got metal cards without the feature...

It really has nothing to do with the stock, and more to do with the ineptness of the CSRs and their processes for shipping new cards.
95% of CSRs don't even know what contactless is or the fact that they exist. One CSR thought I was talking about the chip and she started going on about the security features of the chip. I ordered contactless when they were still plastic and I received a non-contactless card. Same with metal. I give up.
Old Apr 26, 17, 4:49 am
C W

Does anybody know if activating your contactless card will deactivate your current metal non-contactless card?

I want the contacless for some cities, but mostly I prefer the non-contactless.
Old Apr 26, 17, 6:00 am

Does anybody know if activating your contactless card will deactivate your current metal non-contactless card?

I want the contacless for some cities, but mostly I prefer the non-contactless.
From what I know, if you get a new card replacement on the same account, and even going from gold to platinum, the old card will continue to work.

the reps will say something like: "you can continue using your old card, until the new one arrives." well, you can continue to use after the new card arrives as well!
Old Apr 26, 17, 10:52 am
C W

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer View Post
From what I know, if you get a new card replacement on the same account, and even going from gold to platinum, the old card will continue to work.

the reps will say something like: "you can continue using your old card, until the new one arrives." well, you can continue to use after the new card arrives as well!
Great, thank you.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: