American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 3, 18, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: C W
Wiki Link
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 16, 17, 4:41 pm

Has it been established that NFC metal card looks/feels the same as regular metal card? or there are some noticeable (adverse) differences?

I'm curious if I should update the card to contactless without sacrificing much. (No need for contactless option now, and can always do it later down the line).
Old Apr 16, 17, 4:44 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer View Post
Has it been established that NFC metal card looks/feels the same as regular metal card? or there are some noticeable (adverse) differences?

I'm curious if I should update the card to contactless without sacrificing much. (No need for contactless option now, and can always do it later down the line).
My post #204 covers this in detail.

Short answer, the contactless card is not as nice.
Old Apr 16, 17, 4:49 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by C W View Post
I have just received the contactless metal version while I got my non-contactless metal card on Monday.

Direct comparison is interesting. The EMV chip is significantly larger on the contactless version, otherwise the fronts are identical.

The backs of the cards are very different, however. Naturally, the contactless version has the contactless logo in the lower righthand corner. On the non-contactless card the back is covered with a clear plastic coating that allows the light-reflecting nature of the stainless steel to be appreciated. On the contactless version the back cover is fully opaque with an appearance much closer to that of the old card, but less sparkly.

The back cover on the contactless card also seems to be thicker than on the non-contactless card, which in turn makes the metal part of the contactless card thinner.

The contactless card is much easier to bend and only weighs 16g, whereas the non-contactless card weighs 18g.

My contactless card also came very slightly warped. Whether this is from manufacturing or shipping is unknown.

Ultimately, the differences are small, but I do find the non-contactless to be more pleasing aesthetically and to handle. Unless you will regularly use contactless, I would recommend staying with the standard non-contactless card.

In all the images the contactless is on top.

On the image from the sides you should be able to see the white/silver plastic layer of the contactless.

Yep, I went with non-contactless for these reasons. Here in the USA, for contactless card payments I can and do just use my iPhone or Watch.
Old Apr 16, 17, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Not sure if my question has been answered yet...is this coming to markets outside the US?
Old Apr 16, 17, 8:02 pm
C W

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Not sure if my question has been answered yet...is this coming to markets outside the US?
I have not seen any official announcements about foreign rollout. There has not been substantiative discussion of it in this thread.

I can't imagine they'll be able to wait too long, however.
Old Apr 17, 17, 1:11 am

It does indeed cover in detail!

thanks for the description. I guess I'll hold off updating to contactless.
Old Apr 17, 17, 5:14 am
C W

It does indeed cover in detail!

thanks for the description. I guess I'll hold off updating to contactless.
You're welcome! Glad it was useful
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
The new stainless steel Platinum Amex

I currently have the plastic version, with contactless. The card was damaged, so I ordered a replacement this morning.

Does anyone know if it will feature contactless?
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Lot's of discussion around this in the thread around the metal card

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...etal-card.html

Apparently the card does. See post 204
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:31 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by fliesdelta View Post
Does anyone know if it will feature contactless?
If you use Search this Thread with the term: contactless you will see that if your existing card has this feature it will also be present on the replacement.
Old Apr 17, 17, 12:46 pm
C W

I have created a Wiki for this thread to hopefully answer some of the questions that have been coming up. I understand that reading 20 pages in search of an answer is inefficient, so hopefully this will be helpful.

Please contribute to and edit the Wiki!
Old Apr 18, 17, 8:06 am

Amex incompetence

Called in March to request a contactless card for myself and my wife. Received one card in the mail on March 30th and it wasn't even contactless. I called customer service and told them, but the insisted it was contactless, even though it wasn't. Anyways, since it was the 30th I decided to just have them send me a new metal card.
30 March...email notification card sent
31 March...email notification card sent
6 April....email notification card sent
13 April....email notification card sent
Amex acct card management status: Request date Apr 6; Expected delivery Apr 11.
As of today, still nothing so I called Amex. 25 minute call mostly on hold to find out that there was supposedly a glitch when they originally placed my order, and the card was reordered on April 6 and sent out on April 12.
I was offered up a follow up call, nothing else.
And I thought the USCIS was incompetent.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:36 pm

Surprise my thread was merged with this one since it was about Amex customer service and not necessarily the metal card.
Old Apr 18, 17, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have created a Wiki for this thread to hopefully answer some of the questions that have been coming up. I understand that reading 20 pages in search of an answer is inefficient, so hopefully this will be helpful.

Please contribute to and edit the Wiki!
I made a Wiki! I've made it!
Old Apr 18, 17, 1:05 pm
C W

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl View Post
I made a Wiki! I've made it!
Sorry?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: