Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:54 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jhartvu
...signature requirement. It is such a worthless piece of security,....
The signature is not intended for the merchant to verify your identity, it's used later if you dispute the transaction.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jhartvu
I get so irked by the signature requirement. It is such a worthless piece of security, and I can't imagine any rational person feels better knowing he or she has to sign for a purchase. At least at a gas station, I have to put in my ZIP code. I long for the Chip-and-PIN that's so common in Europe--at least a PIN offers some level of security.
I don't really think the ZIP code adds much if anything. Putting in the ZIP code where the gas station resides (or one of the neighboring ones) will work for a significant fraction of the cards that are skimmed from there, for instance.

Originally Posted by mia
The signature is not intended for the merchant to verify your identity, it's used later if you dispute the transaction.
Why do the merchant rules require verifying it with what's on the back of the card, then? (Of course, that's mostly a theoretical point as almost no one in the US does.)
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Originally Posted by tmiw
I don't really think the ZIP code adds much if anything. Putting in the ZIP code where the gas station resides (or one of the neighboring ones) will work for a significant fraction of the cards that are skimmed from there, for instance.
I'm not doubting that it does. But it's *something* at least.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
A quick look at the new card:

I created this video shortly after receiving the card.

Interestingly, when I called to request it, AMEX told me they were backlogged and it would go out via First Class Mail and not ship out for like 5 days. But, they still shipped it out the next day and via overnight FedEx.

Last edited by Mediahound; Apr 11, 2017 at 8:48 am
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Tried to look back on this question, but hadn't seen anything posted recently on it- I travel a ton (primarily US domestic) - will this card set off the metal detectors at the airports? I have Global Entry/Pre-Check.. Got mine last week and traveling this week through a few airports (EWR/DFW/IAH/FLL). Wondering if I need to take my wallet out now.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
Originally Posted by LesPaul30
Tried to look back on this question, but hadn't seen anything posted recently on it- I travel a ton (primarily US domestic) - will this card set off the metal detectors at the airports? I have Global Entry/Pre-Check.. Got mine last week and traveling this week through a few airports (EWR/DFW/IAH/FLL). Wondering if I need to take my wallet out now.
Ok I can confirm this card did NOT set off the pre-check detectors at EWR today. Tried it...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by LesPaul30
No issues at SFO (PreCheck) and I have the CSR in my wallet as well.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, HHonors Gold
Question: anyone know does the old plastic card continue to work after we activate the metal one?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by mia
It's also intended to be checked against the signature on the back of the card. You sign the receipt to agree to the "card holder agreement" that needs to match the signature on the back of the card, which also confirms a signature for the "cardholder agreement." The problem is nobody cares about credit card security in this country.

There's a reason signatures are waived below a certain amount, because a merchant should be checking signatures above $50 or whatever the merchant deems necessary below that amount for the purpose of additional security to make sure the person using the card is in fact the cardholder.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by gooselee
This. And trust me, I tend to be very skeptical of new payment technology.

Contactless is definitely a convenience thing for me on transit systems, vending machines, and similar that allow it. And while yes, I could get the same function out of Android Pay, something still just feels "weird" about paying with my phone. I don't even think I'll be getting the free $15 out of the Android Pay Amex offer I just got, because I feel that weird about paying for stuff with my phone.

Yes, I could look more into it and go through all the various technical aspects and security things and stuff...but at the end of the day I'm just more comfortable swiping my card vs. a phone. Definitely wouldn't begrudge anyone else for making the opposite choice.
Swiping is being phased out at a rapid pace now, so you're going to have to use a different payment method regardless by either dipping or tapping your card. You most certainly have every right to do what you're comfortable with, though.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
Swiping is being phased out at a rapid pace now, so you're going to have to use a different payment method regardless by either dipping or tapping your card. You most certainly have every right to do what you're comfortable with, though.
Could you identify your locale? Contactless payment adoption varies dramatically by region, with some countries having it almost universally now, while others not so much. The US is in the latter category.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Steve M
Could you identify your locale? Contactless payment adoption varies dramatically by region, with some countries having it almost universally now, while others not so much. The US is in the latter category.
New York, United States.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:51 pm

It seems Amex has removed the online radio button for a metal card replacement. Amex still has the online radio button to replace a damaged card. Both radio buttons offered UPS next day at no extra cost.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:12 pm

anyone got a Platinum box they wanna send me?
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:41 am

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Just called to get my metal card. Was told contactless wasn't available for metal card. Thought this was a bit odd. I'll just wait and re-order in a few weeks. I have a wallet that blocks RF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.