Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: C W
General Information:

Please note this thread only currently applies to US-issued personal Platinum cards. There have been no official announcements of foreign-issued metal cards. It also applies to all co-branded personal Platinum cards such as Mercedes and Morgan Stanley.

All new and and replacement cards are now stainless steel, as of March 30, 2017.

Amex Press Release

This thread is for discussion of the physical metal card. Please see this thread for all other new Amex Platinum features:

USA: New personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Contactless

There are contactless (NFC) and non-contactless version of the Platinum Card.

If you previously had a contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a contactless replacement.

If you previously had a non-contactless card and requested a replacement you will receive a non-contactless replacement unless you ask specifically for contactless.

Some reps do not know about contactless, HUCA or speak to a supervisor. If you are told you cannot request a contactless card because you requested another replacement within 10 days, ask to speak to fraud prevention and they will override this restriction.

When you apply for a new Platinum account you will be sent a non-contactless card by default.

The contactless and non-contactless cards are physically different. Detailed description and photos in Post 204.

Welcome Kit

Some members have received a Welcome Kit with a wooden display for the card that can be repurposed as a phone stand.

Pictures and description in Post 282.

All new cardmembers should receive the Welcome Kit whereas replacement cards generally seem to arrive in an envelope.
Print Wikipost

American Express personal Platinum (USA) metal card

Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by Sintaku
If you are living there and commuting a lot you probably will want to get an Oyster with a travel card on it, as it can get quite expensive using your contactless card at peak times. Most unmanned machines won't work with signature cards. I've had good luck on sub 20 GBP purchases at unmanned machines with my amex plat, however no luck with any of my other MC/Visa cards.
It depends on your needs but contactless is cheaper than Oyster pay as you go. The daily cap is the same, but contactless adds a Monday to Sunday cap equivalent to the price of a seven day Travelcard. But since it is a cap, you don't need to decide in advance if you need it.

Monthly and Annual Travelcards are cheaper, yes... But it's somewhat false economy. You don't commute on holidays, so that's 40ish work days a year for most of us we don't necessarily commute. In the summer, you may walk or cycle. Etc...

I'm not convinced Travelcards save the average person that much, tbh.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by Explorer789
So what's the deal with some of the metal cards are EMV capable and some aren't? I ordered on 3/30 like most people did and got the non-EMV version, while I am seeing some DPs on that others did get the EMV.

Was it completely randomized distribution? Should I contact Amex and ask for another one?
I don't believe there are any without EMV.

The shocking thing is some are contact only, no contactless. Given they have a metal contactless at all. That's an engineering feat. It is impossible to make a contactless card the normal way and have it be metal, so this is impressive!
Old Apr 4, 2017, 10:42 am

Mine arrived today (only one day late). Like the old card, it has EMV. No contactless. The thing is hefty as well.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AllieKat
I don't believe there are any without EMV.

The shocking thing is some are contact only, no contactless. Given they have a metal contactless at all. That's an engineering feat. It is impossible to make a contactless card the normal way and have it be metal, so this is impressive!
Well I have one without the EMV as do others. So, the only other explanation I have received elsewhere is that Amex sent whatever version you had before. If you previously had a contactless plastic one, they sent a contactless metal one.

I don't really care for it right now since I have no immediate plans to go to Europe, but I'll probably order another replacement with EMV in a few months.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by C W
Most checkpoints have backscatter machines now anyway
NO checkpoints in the US have backscatter machines any more. When they first started installing body scanners, some were backscatter and some were millimeter wave. All backscatter machines (which used X-rays) have since been replaced with millimeter wave machines, so now not even a low dose of ionizing radiation.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:25 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Steve M
NO checkpoints in the US have backscatter machines any more. When they first started installing body scanners, some were backscatter and some were millimeter wave. All backscatter machines (which used X-rays) have since been replaced with millimeter wave machines, so now not even a low dose of ionizing radiation.
My mistake. Thanks for the clarification
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Anyone else notice that their replacement metal card has contactless payment? I had it on my old chip plastic version and I guess there is a contactless metal version now. It looks like the back is a different layer to the metal front but it has the contactless logo on it. I should clarify that it also has EMV just like the plastic version with contactless had.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:47 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by websteth
Anyone else notice that their replacement metal card has contactless payment? .
Yes, scroll back to post 131 and read forward. What we do not have is any report of someone USING the contactless feature or scanning the card with an NFC equipped smartphone.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Bonvoy, Virgin Atlantic FlyingClub, Hilton HHonors, World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by mia
Yes, scroll back to post 131 and read forward. What we do not have is any report of someone USING the contactless feature or scanning the card with an NFC equipped smartphone.
Thanks, I scrolled back but it looks like I didn't go back far enough. I'll have to give the scan a try tonight.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:02 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by mia
I'm happy to fly to London and try it. That is, if a kind FlyerTalker wants to give me an award ticket to do so. In J, naturally
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:14 pm

Received my card today and it is not contactless. When I applied for the card on Thursday I didn't request a contactless card so I'm ok with it. I really like the weight to it.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by TJMAC
Received my card today and it is not contactless. When I applied for the card on Thursday I didn't request a contactless card so I'm ok with it. I really like the weight to it.
The weight is really impressive. Would love for someone to put it on a scale to compare with the Centurion card.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TJMAC
There's not actually an option to do so when you apply for an AmEx. You have to get the non-contactless one first, then wait 10 days before you can request one. I mean, it's nice that they even provide the option, but it's almost as though they're discouraging it.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by TexasTea
The weight is really impressive. Would love for someone to put it on a scale to compare with the Centurion card.
Apparently it weighs more. 18g vs 14g

https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/th...it-cards-list/
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
There's not actually an option to do so when you apply for an AmEx. You have to get the non-contactless one first, then wait 10 days before you can request one. I mean, it's nice that they even provide the option, but it's almost as though they're discouraging it.
Interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.