Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by gengar
I've already switched my default over to Lyft since the different issue I had starting two months ago (I even signed up for Lyft's ride pass). I'd still like the backup option that Uber provides, not to mention use the Plat credit.

As noted above, this was done today to the AMEX representative I spoke to on the phone and will certainly be expressed when/if the promised follow-up contact is made.
Though it often costs more, I like Lyft's double dipping (triple with airport rides).
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Does uber eats pickup work as an option for other people? Is it only certain locations? The website seems to say it exists but I don't see it in the app https://help.uber.com/ubereats/artic...e-b87ae7c28de9
Is anyone able to use pickup? Delivery fee plus tip eats away most of the $15 credit rendering it a little pointless (and obviously wasteful to have a car drive around to pick up and deliver this meal when the alternative is walking to pick up food)
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
So I was contacted by a higher-up at AMEX as promised. We didn't speak for long but I was asked to detail my experiences with Uber and we discussed both my issue in past months with difficulty using the credit and my problem this month with the credit not showing up at all (and especially the hassle in resolving the issue with Uber). I won't get into details because nothing specific was provided/promised on AMEX's end, but here are my takeaways from the conversation:

1. AMEX seems well aware that many Plat holders are having issues with the Uber credit;
  2. AMEX is concerned with how Uber's customer service is handling these situations (esp. timeliness of response);
  3. compensation provided by AMEX will be a consideration should my issues continue; but
  4. it is my impression that AMEX does not currently believe they can compel Uber to resolve these issues satisfactorily in all cases.
Given our dialog I'd strongly encourage others experiencing problems to call in and express their dissatisfaction.

I was also promised a followup call during the first week of July to check on the status of my credit for next month. Hopefully it just works, but either way I'll update here.
dhuey likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Uber customer service

🤔😱😢
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:51 pm

I've been having a similar issue with the Amex Plat credit. It's loaded into my account on the app, along with other Uber Rewards cash, however when I select Uber Cash (where the Plat credit is stored) to pay for the ride, the app won't hail a ride, goes back to the main page and then freezes.

I've gone through Uber Support to resolve this. This got me a back and forth that ultimately lead to a message indicating my account being suspended for violating Terms of Service (which didn't actually suspend my account).

I emailed the executive contacts listed here and got an appropriate response 2 days later. They credited my ride by $20 and let me keep my credits. They said they would send the screen video I sent them to the engineer team to address the issue.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/uber/

Still haven't been able to use the credits. App doesn't work.

I'd much prefer the Amex Plat credits to go to Lyft. Considering Lyft's partnership with Delta, and Amex's partnership with Delta, transitive property, right?
angra likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by LionNYC
I've been having a similar issue with the Amex Plat credit. It's loaded into my account on the app, along with other Uber Rewards cash, however when I select Uber Cash (where the Plat credit is stored) to pay for the ride, the app won't hail a ride, goes back to the main page and then freezes.

I've gone through Uber Support to resolve this. This got me a back and forth that ultimately lead to a message indicating my account being suspended for violating Terms of Service (which didn't actually suspend my account).

I emailed the executive contacts listed here and got an appropriate response 2 days later. They credited my ride by $20 and let me keep my credits. They said they would send the screen video I sent them to the engineer team to address the issue.

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/uber/

Still haven't been able to use the credits. App doesn't work.

I'd much prefer the Amex Plat credits to go to Lyft. Considering Lyft's partnership with Delta, and Amex's partnership with Delta, transitive property, right?
Lyft now seems to have an agreement with Mastercard - $10 credit each month after you take five Lyft rides and pay with a World Elite Mastercard (I maxed out this credit this month). I have also had poor customer relations with Lyft regarding their Hilton benefit. Both Lyft and Uber have bare bones, poor customer service. The only way to truly make the credit foolproof is to administer it like they do the Saks, Grubhub and other credits (charge your Amex Platinum card, get a $10 credit every month). I still think it makes more sense for Amex this way as I have not billed a single Uber charge to my Amex Platinum this year despite having the Uber benefit (I pay for Uber with Sapphire Reserve).
Gig103 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Rolled over my June credit successfully just now so that trick still works.

Lyft has been offering me a 50% off ($6 max) all month so haven't had to use Uber at all.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gengar
Welp, another adventure with the Uber credit.

Long story short: This month, my $15 credit never showed up and Uber had to manually add it (but only after trading multiple messages with Uber's horrid customer support, even after they started identifying themselves as part of the Priority Support Team - including one who claimed my AMEX Plat was invalid , and another claiming my credit had been issued but sending me a receipt for a ride in May that obviously used last month's credit).

The level of incompetence that would be required for this beggars belief, so it's no surprise at all that many here don't think it's merely incompetence.
Did you have issues even after being transferred to the Priority Support Team? I am no fan of Uber (as I have posted on the rideshare forum here, I am currently on my fourth account or payment method suspension with Uber - each of the past three times the Priority Support Team has stated the suspension was incorrect), but my problems have always been resolved quickly upon being handled by the Priority Support Team. The problem is the huge mess in getting in touch with them.

If anyone has any advice on getting in touch with the Priority Support Team directly, I would appreciate it. With the standard customer service representatives, it is always nothing but form responses claiming they cannot handle the issue. I have to get nastier than I like (usually threaten never to use Uber again) to get to the Priority Support Team. It is an awful way to treat customers.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 1:53 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
The way this benefit works is so convoluted. It is unsurprising to me that there are so many issues. I wish it were simply a statement credit through Amex each month once a certain amount of spend was triggered, that would be so much simpler.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cfabar1
The way this benefit works is so convoluted. It is unsurprising to me that there are so many issues. I wish it were simply a statement credit through Amex each month once a certain amount of spend was triggered, that would be so much simpler.
It used to be very simple. Pay with your Plat card and the credit was applied!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Yes, it was very simple... I think Uber wanted to try to convince Amex users to use Uber Cash instead, but since then it has become a real nuisance. That said, I’m grateful for the credits, but still, such a pain!
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cfabar1
Yes, it was very simple... I think Uber wanted to try to convince Amex users to use Uber Cash instead, but since then it has become a real nuisance. That said, I’m grateful for the credits, but still, such a pain!
The only reason I can come up with for the change, is there wasn’t enough breakage when the credit posted automatically with the charge on our Amex.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:34 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Is there any way to get the credit to carry over to the next month if not used? Prior to it being part of Uber Cash, there was a way to cancel a ride and the credit would not be tied to the Amex credit any longer and be able to be utilized the following month.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by strife
If anyone has any advice on getting in touch with the Priority Support Team directly, I would appreciate it. With the standard customer service representatives, it is always nothing but form responses claiming they cannot handle the issue. I have to get nastier than I like (usually threaten never to use Uber again) to get to the Priority Support Team. It is an awful way to treat customers.
Gold level members have access to the Priority Support team directly. Anyone using UberBlack has access to Premium Support team for 24 hours after trip completion.

Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:04 pm

RE Lime scooters - When you scan one in, the text tells you you can pay with credit, debit or uber cash, but the app does not provide an option to pay with uber cash. Add payment only allows adding a new credit card. I've sent an inquiry into uber but am not optimistic this is going to work. The text is probably just wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.