Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
No, just the app. My workaround is to assume it’s switched away from Uber cash, and I switch it back with each ride.
Is this really that cumbersome for everyone? I like being forced to make the choice of when I use my Uber Cash - especially when I'm travelling for business and want to apply my Uber rides to my business card and not waste my credits.

Admittedly, as a city dweller, I use Uber at least 5-6 times a week, so if I do forget to switch my payment over to Uber Cash early in the month I have plenty of additional opportunities to use the benefit. But, beyond that, it seems to work flawlessly for me.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nmenaker
The SCAM continues. got my monthly credits, 15$.. CONFIRMED that all my profiles were set to UBER CASH first. Then, requested a ride at SFO. The app requested how to pay the fare difference.. I selected WITH XYZ CREDIT CARD. Got a ping to my credit card for the difference of the FARE (which ended up being wrong by over 20% mind you) and the UBER cash balance, so that seemed all good.

Receipt and UBER CASH balance shows they took out 5$ only, NOT the BALANCE of 15$. NEVER ANYWHERE DID I SELECT TO ONLY USE 5$.

Ride ended up costing 42.78 and not the 37.95$ that was quoted at the beginning AND it only took out 5$, leaving 10$ in my UBER CASH balance, which I now probably won't be using.
Please report this to Amex. They need to know.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by PHLondoner
Is this really that cumbersome for everyone? I like being forced to make the choice of when I use my Uber Cash - especially when I'm travelling for business and want to apply my Uber rides to my business card and not waste my credits.
What's the point of being able to select a default payment option then? If the system allows me to set a payment option as default, I expect it to stay that way, or the system is flawed.

If Uber removes the default payment option and forces us to select a payment option every time, then fine. But that's not how it's currently set up.
dhuey and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
So this is a new one for me. Not really an issue, just confusion. My Uber cash currently has 4 buckets: Amex Benefit ($15), Uber Rewards ($5 for hitting Gold), Visa Local Offers, and Uber Credits (~$12). Only the Amex one expires, and IME Uber pulls from what is expiring the soonest and then goes to the non expiring credits. But anyway I took a ride on June 2nd for about $11 and it pulled from my Uber Credits. So now I'm left wondering about the hierarchy of these various buckets.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
... I'm left wondering about the hierarchy of these various buckets.
Have you checked what the other posts in this thread are about?
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I used my credit yesterday as follows:

Made sure that "Apply Uber Cash" was toggled ON.

Selected specific credit card to pay the difference.

Booked a trip greater than my Uber cash balance, which triggered the difference immediately charged to that card.

What may cause slight concern/confusion is that afterwards there was confirmation of the higher gross amount; however, the receipt itself correctly applied the Uber cash with the payment-at-booking having covered the trip.

There is no more selecting Uber Cash as a payment method along with the registered credit cards; toggling replaces that function.

Hope that helps!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I don't think Uber gave me the Uber cash for January, February, March, or April.

I messaged them in May and they gave me the May credit and then on June 1 I got the June credit.

I messaged them back several times to say "Hey you will owe me $15 x 4 = $60 for January through April" and got non responsive gibberish back from them like "Sorry, the credits don't roll over" and "Sorry, we can only give you the $15 credits on one account per month (I only have one account).

I called AMEX just now and asked for a $60 statement credit and got a very helpful agent who offered that or 4800 points. I took the points.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:45 am

Ubercash with Platinum Amex

Last month all went well with me using my Ubercash. This month (June 2019) Uber switched my default to my Amex, so the ride credits are not being used. I noticed it and was able to switch my ride to use Ubercash. I also set the default back to Ubercash before my ride back. Still Uber charges my card and now claims a partial charge cannot be switched to use Ubercash. Even the default is Ubercash for that ride.

Anyone else having trouble like this? Started for me this month.

P.S.
Neither remaining Ubercash nor charges to my card add up either. Rides add up to $17.xx, my card was charged that amount and my Ubercash is down to $5.xx overcharging $9.xx
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by FSiepm
....Anyone else having trouble like this? Started for me this month....
I have moved your post into the established thread discussing the Platinum card Uber benefit. Scroll back to read reports of similar technical problems when trying to use the credit.
FSiepm likes this.

Last edited by mia; Jun 11, 2019 at 9:25 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Admittedly, as a city dweller, I use Uber at least 5-6 times a week, so if I do forget to switch my payment over to Uber Cash early in the month I have plenty of additional opportunities to use the benefit. But, beyond that, it seems to work flawlessly for me.
Same here. Just used my June credits this past weekend for a ride home from the airport. I actually accidentally requested the ride from my Business profile in the app, then switched it to Personal during the ride which showed my $15 of credit alongside my desired CC.

Ride was $28.xx. Receipt shows $15 paid with credits and the remaining $13.xx charged to my Amex. he $13.xx is also what posted to the Amex a couple days later.
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Anyone know if Amex credits can be used for Lime scooters now? I haven't tried booking one
Tried to do this today; it said you could use Uber Cash but then it only provided my credit cards as payment options. Has anyone else tried this?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by FSiepm
Anyone else having trouble like this? Started for me this month.
Oh yes. The operative theory is that it's Uber running tests to see how badly they can cheat their customers and still retain them as customers.

it seems to work flawlessly for me.
Well I guess that's all that matters. Case closed.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Tried to do this today; it said you could use Uber Cash but then it only provided my credit cards as payment options. Has anyone else tried this?
I did use Jump scooters / bikes and it was paid with the Amex credit benefit last time I was in LA, back in April. Haven't tried with Lime scooters though.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Kacee

Well I guess that's all that matters. Case closed.
Well as someone who frequently has to troubleshoot tech “problems” for his Boomer parents, I’ve found that about 90% of their “issues” are simply User Error.
Statman and gooselee like this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:17 pm

Well as someone who frequently has to troubleshoot tech “problems” for his Boomer parents, I’ve found that about 90% of their “issues” are simply User Error.
Duh, everyone in this thread must be aging and tech impared!

Last edited by MaxVO; Jun 12, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.