Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card and Centurion Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card or Centurion Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
Has anyone ever tried to load two account holders' worth of Uber credits into a single Uber account?

My wife might pick up a personal plat card and we'd rather have her credits added to mine for larger fares or food orders. I can see why Uber wouldn't allow it, but am not sure if it is explicitly blocked?
Just add her credit card number to your Uber account. Shouldn't be a problem.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Just add her credit card number to your Uber account. Shouldn't be a problem.
In my experience, it works until it stops working. Then you have to delete the card and add it again. And maybe you need to keep telling the app to use Uber cash, rather than charge one of the cards on file.

It sure seems like Uber is trying hard to have your $15/mo/card expire without being used.
Thunderroad and Diplomatico like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by dhuey
It sure seems like Uber is trying hard to have your $15/mo/card expire without being used.
Can drop the "seems like" from that comment.
dhuey, Thunderroad and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey

In my experience, it works until it stops working. Then you have to delete the card and add it again. And maybe you need to keep telling the app to use Uber cash, rather than charge one of the cards on file.

I normally use Uber 6-7 times a month and have the payment method set to Uber Cash. The Amex credit is always the FIRST credit listed (and first to be used) when I click on the breakdown of amounts stored in my Uber Cash account.

Maybe I am just lucky so far because I have not had a single issue with using up the full $15 credit each month and when I don't use the full amount, I just roll it over to the next month.
747FC likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Statman
Maybe I am just lucky so far because I have not had a single issue with using up the full $15 credit each month and when I don't use the full amount, I just roll it over to the next month.
The Amex credits don't roll over to the next month, so not sure what you mean.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The Amex credits don't roll over to the next month, so not sure what you mean.
There is an easy way to make them roll over. I have done it for the months when I don't use Uber.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:19 am

There is an easy way to make them roll over. I have done it for the months when I don't use Uber.
Cryptic! Care to describe for the rest of us?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by lax01
Cryptic! Care to describe for the rest of us?
Just sent you an PM with instructions on how to roll over the credit.

I don't want to post publicly for fear of Uber or Amex shutting it down.
lax01, katstarr, Gasolin and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 5:49 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Can drop the "seems like" from that comment.
I have never had a problem with my $15 getting used in a month I used Uber. Knock on wood. But, then again, I don't try to game the system.
lax01 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:02 pm

Just sent you an PM with instructions on how to roll over the credit.

I don't want to post publicly for fear of Uber or Amex shutting it down.
Interesting! Can you please share your method of rolling over unused credit? Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by stc
I have never had a problem with my $15 getting used in a month I used Uber.
Sounds like you're rather clueless concerning the changes that Uber recently implemented. If you only do cheap rides, you may not have a problem. But if your rides typically exceed the credit (mine are mostly airport trips using Uber Black), Uber has made it very difficult to use the monthly credit.

Originally Posted by stc
But, then again, I don't try to game the system.
lol I have no idea what you're talking (and I don't think you do, either).
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
The poster may be referring to the "trick" to roll over the Uber credits from one month to another. That would be "gaming the system".
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:55 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Sounds like you're rather clueless concerning the changes that Uber recently implemented. If you only do cheap rides, you may not have a problem. But if your rides typically exceed the credit (mine are mostly airport trips using Uber Black), Uber has made it very difficult to use the monthly credit.

My rides are also to / from the airport and exceed the $15. Without fail, the first ride of the month the $15 gets deducted.

Stop being obtuse, this board if full of people gaming the system. The credit is supposed to be for rides, not meals, not anything else. From the Amex site:

Platinum Card Members receive $15 in Uber Cash for Uber rides in the U.S. every month plus a bonus $20 in December. Thats up to $200 for Uber annually.(1)
To be fair, I've gamed the Amex system too - getting the $200 airline fee credit turned into ticket credit. But when that loophole was closed, I didn't whine about it.
Statman and gooselee like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by stc
...The credit is supposed to be for rides, not meals, not anything else. From the Amex site...
Uber Eats appears to be an intended use for AmEx credit, not a loophole. If the AmEx promo materials do not list it, perhaps it's due to the service being relatively new (and somewhat chaotic). Uber Eats is also not a good value for the credit (albeit better than nothing).
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:50 am

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by stc
The credit is supposed to be for rides, not meals, not anything else.
From the Amex terms and conditions:
"Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders."
IndyHoosier likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.