Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Old Jan 4, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
​​​​​​Mine appeared promptly. I then had a short ride where I did not want to use the credit, selecting a credit card instead, other than Platinum Amex of course, which resulted in the ride being applied to my credit balance anyway.
That doesn't make a difference. You have to toggle the credits on or off no matter what CC you use.

All my Uber rides/meals are charged to my CSR but the credits always apply properly when I have them selected.
747FC, SuperKirby and cuthroat like this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I guess I have never understood where the actual "toggle switch" itself is located?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Purchased a new phone and Uber Cash disappeared. AMEX credits are still there but delineated separately, as they were prior to the roll-out of Uber Cash. (No complaints since the Uber Cash sleight-of-hand isn't something I found to be of value.)
Actually, I noticed my credits disappeared after I got a new phone as well. I didn’t think that mattered because it’s the same login but now I wonder if Uber has some sort of protection to prevent duplicate credits from being given each month.

The other thing that’s odd is that I. Any delete my AMEX cards. I have 3 and none can be deleted. For ex, my Plat card (say, 1001) shows up twice in the payment cards. First, it’s there and is labeled “AMEX credits” but there’s another 1001. I can delete the 1001 labeled AMEX credits but every time I delete the other 1001 entry, it immediately pops up again. I suspect this is a major reason my credits don’t show up. This only happened after I got my new phone.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by DaveInLA

Actually, I noticed my credits disappeared after I got a new phone as well. I didn’t think that mattered because it’s the same login but now I wonder if Uber has some sort of protection to prevent duplicate credits from being given each month.

The other thing that’s odd is that I. Any delete my AMEX cards. I have 3 and none can be deleted. For ex, my Plat card (say, 1001) shows up twice in the payment cards. First, it’s there and is labeled “AMEX credits” but there’s another 1001. I can delete the 1001 labeled AMEX credits but every time I delete the other 1001 entry, it immediately pops up again. I suspect this is a major reason my credits don’t show up. This only happened after I got my new phone.
I'm encountering the same although it began happening prior to switching phones. I try to delete a card, it gets deleted initially, then reappears the next time I open the Uber app.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I'm encountering the same although it began happening prior to switching phones. I try to delete a card, it gets deleted initially, then reappears the next time I open the Uber app.
Mia your the AMEX Platinum card? Have you gotten your credits?
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by DaveInLA

Mia your the AMEX Platinum card? Have you gotten your credits?
Yes and yes.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I guess I have never understood where the actual "toggle switch" itself is located?
In Uber Eats it is under my profile, then "Payment" at the bottom.

In Uber (Rides) I have separate Business and Personal profiles. IIRC when I set up payment method for each profile, I could choose whether to use credits or not. So my "toggle" is now just switching between those profiles.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:41 pm

Weird... I have two Amex Platinum cards, and I have both of them going to one Uber account.

Each month I have been receiving a $30 credit (2 x $15.00) with no exception...except for December when I get a $70 credit (2 x $35.00).

Today, I just checked my Uber account and my account was only credited $28.00 (or $14.00 per card)... What am I missing? Should I contact Amex? I am confused.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 6:32 am

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
Weird... I have two Amex Platinum cards, and I have both of them going to one Uber account.

Each month I have been receiving a $30 credit (2 x $15.00) with no exception...except for December when I get a $70 credit (2 x $35.00).

Today, I just checked my Uber account and my account was only credited $28.00 (or $14.00 per card)... What am I missing? Should I contact Amex? I am confused.
Contact Uber support.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the information in this thread. I've gotten three different replies from Uber Support on why my Amex Plat monthly credits aren't being applied when I use Uber and how I can correct this via Uber Cash. All three have been rather confusing and even contradictory. I called Amex today about this, I was told that if I retained my Plat card, rather than canceling over this problem, I could have my choice of either a $100 statement credit or 15K MR points if I spend $2,000 within the next three months (which I was planning to do anyway, mainly via air fare purchases). I chose the latter.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Anyone know if Amex credits can be used for Lime scooters now? I haven't tried booking one
I rode a Lime scooter this morning but forgot to try using the Uber app - has anyone tried this yet?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:07 pm

Anybody not gotten their uber credits for February? Uber cash is $0

::: Re-adding the card to the account fixed it
Old Feb 2, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by lax01
No
lax01 likes this.

Last edited by 747FC; Feb 3, 2019 at 8:52 am
Old Feb 3, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by lax01

::: Re-adding the card to the account fixed it
Same here
Old Feb 3, 2019, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by 747FC

No
Same here
Remove card and re-add - mine showed up instantly

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.