Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card and Centurion Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card or Centurion Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Old Sep 21, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by samwise6222
2x annual fee paying cards.
Huh. Surprised at that, but I'm sure you have good reasons.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Huh. Surprised at that, but I'm sure you have good reasons.
Not the OP but if you use the credits and value them close to face value, the net annual fee of having a 2nd account is cheaper than adding an AU for $175/yr, especially if you're only adding 1 (since it's a flat fee for the first 3 AUs).
Statman and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 1:52 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of variable UberEats delivery fees transferred to Ride Services forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ride...very-fees.html
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:01 pm

Question about Uber. I entered my new amex number into Uber payment options, but didn't take any trips yet. Today I logged into my amex account and see 2 pending charges - $1.00 each from Uber. Any idea what it is??
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:08 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Green_eyes
.... 2 pending charges - $1.00 each from Uber. Any idea what it is??
That's Uber verifying that your card number is valid. The transactions will expire without posting. Many merchants do this. $1.00 is a common amount, but some use $1.01 or $0.01 etc.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
That's Uber verifying that your card number is valid. The transactions will expire without posting. Many merchants do this. $1.00 is a common amount, but some use $1.01 or $0.01 etc.
vok,thanks. So now that they verified, I am still not seeing Uber VIP in the app. should I call Uber or Amex?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:13 am

Not seeing Uber VIP in the app, I am in Miami area. Anyone knows if it's offered here?
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:28 am

Not seeing Uber VIP in the app, I am in Miami area. Anyone knows if it's offered here?
If you are using your Platinum as your payment card, and are seeing the $15 credit in the app (it's not a statement credit like Gold food credit is), then you have Uber VIP. Do some research on it, but they only do VIPs when they have an abundance of qualified drivers that they can offer to you in a reasonable amount of time. I live in Center City PHL, so there are thousands of drivers at any given moment within a mile or so of me... I'm not sure how it works way out in the suburbs. There's not much of a VIP benefit if there's only 2 or 3 qualified VIP drivers near you but they each will take 25 minutes to get to your house b.c they are so spread out.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 7:40 am

I guess there are none in my area. I do see bunch of Uber poor, Uber extra pool or whatever, some cheapy options, and then Uber X and XL.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I guess there are none in my area. I do see bunch of Uber poor, Uber extra pool or whatever, some cheapy options, and then Uber X and XL.
The newest Uber sub-category: Uber poor. Tandem bicycle.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I don't see Uber VIP either, and I'm in the SFBA. Huh.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:51 am

Did anyone else notice a change in how the Amex credit is being applied?

I took an Uber this week and was charged the full fare, despite having $15 of Amex credit available. The credit was instead moved to something called Uber Cash, which seems to be a new-ish feature. On my next ride I was able to use that cash as a payment method.

I was was initially miffed about it but then realized it is a game changer. I mostly use Uber for rides to and from airports. My travel is concentrated in certain months, so I go months without taking an Uber, effectively wasting the credit.

With Uber Cash, it seems I should be able to reload the balance once per month and then use the accumulated balance on months I actually take Uber rides.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by blaz
Did anyone else notice a change in how the Amex credit is being applied?

I took an Uber this week and was charged the full fare, despite having $15 of Amex credit available. The credit was instead moved to something called Uber Cash, which seems to be a new-ish feature. On my next ride I was able to use that cash as a payment method.

I was was initially miffed about it but then realized it is a game changer. I mostly use Uber for rides to and from airports. My travel is concentrated in certain months, so I go months without taking an Uber, effectively wasting the credit.

With Uber Cash, it seems I should be able to reload the balance once per month and then use the accumulated balance on months I actually take Uber rides.
That was not my experience on a charge this month.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
That was not my experience on a charge this month.
Weird. Do you use Amex or another card to pay the fare? I used my CSR for the fare that had the credit moved to Uber Cash.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by blaz

Weird. Do you use Amex or another card to pay the fare? I used my CSR for the fare that had the credit moved to Uber Cash.
Where is the Uber Cash function on the app? I don't see it on my app.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.