Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:35 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by gwade
Deleted the card and re-added...credits are there. What a lousy implementation.
Same here.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by antonius66
I was waiting for this kind of high and mighty response. Definitely the FT way these days. . Yeah furious because I expected things to continue the way they have been functioning for about 6 months straight from the very implementation of the program, yes. Considering Uber and Uber eats use the same log in info, the same stored payment info, the same profile, I hardly think it is absurd to expect that they be treated the same. If someone bases a decision to renew for a year based on the last HALF year, that is not unreasonable.
For the past 6 months, you've been speeding through a school zone going 10 mph over the limit, but one day the police decide to park a cruiser out there. They pull you over and tell you that you're not getting a warning, but if you continue to use that road you have to observe the lower speed limit within the school zone. Even though it's the same road, with the same lane markings, accepting the same vehicles as what exists a half mile before and after the school, you must follow the slower speed limit in the school zone.

You'd find that absurd and be furious about it?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:41 pm

Oh brother. Not the same thing at all. Not in the slightest. Whatever, I am not going to argue this anymore, because like I said, that is the Flyertalk way these days. Just argue against everything and act sanctimonious like every single person here is trying to abuse. If you honestly think that what you said is the same, and my points about the implementation and the use of identical accounts for the services offered by the same company are invalid, fine.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Oh brother. Not the same thing at all. Not in the slightest. Whatever, I am not going to argue this anymore, because like I said, that is the Flyertalk way these days. Just argue against everything and act sanctimonious like every single person here is trying to abuse. If you honestly think that what you said is the same, and my points about the implementation and the use of identical accounts for the services offered by the same company are invalid, fine.
I don't think it's a "trying to abuse" issue. I think it's that most of us think that when something happens where we get something extra, we can take full advantage of it, but if the bug is fixed or the enforcement changes to be accurate with the policy, it's something to be disappointed about or annoyed with - but not "furious" with the company. It's like how you can use the airline allowance on AA gift cards. If that stopped, I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't be mad, as the policy doesn't really allow for it.

In this case, most of the cost of uber eats is going to the restaurant, which isn't really the intent of the $200 credit. Again, a nice thing when it happens, but not really something that should be relied on as a determination of whether to get the card or not.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrisny2
In this case, most of the cost of uber eats is going to the restaurant, which isn't really the intent of the $200 credit.
Doesn't most of the cost of an Uber car ride go to the driver also? I assume in either case Uber funds the $15 (prob with some Amex assistance) and the driver/restaurant still get their normal un-discounted amount, no?

Again, a nice thing when it happens, but not really something that should be relied on as a determination of whether to get the card or not.
Agreed -- fine to be annoyed/disappointed, but seems a bit ridiculous to be "furious."
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I'm with you. I haven't even had the card a year yet, and in my short tenure the AF went up, Uber credit was introduced, and the IAP was changed. Without embarrassment I would say that UberEats has been playing into my decision to keep the card. Some people forget that we are in a business arrangement with Amex. And just as they have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders, I have a fiduciary responsibility to myself.

If it had never worked, I would have a different valuation of my YTD of Platinum membership. Same with the low value gift cards being reimbursed as 'incidentals'; if that stops working there would be more defections to CSR, and it's the same $200 value of the Uber credit.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
...we are in a business arrangement with Amex...
Precisely, and business decisions are best made based on a cold calculation of which product provides best value for you now. Anger because American Express raised the price, changed a policy, or corrected an error should play no role in the decision. The comparison will not be American Express Platinum 2018 vs Platinum 2017, it will be American Express 2018 vs the best product you can find. All issuers change polices and adjust practices, and none of them care if they have your business or mine.
chrisny2 likes this.

Last edited by mia; Oct 9, 2017 at 2:19 pm
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:53 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
There is a fine line between trying to get the most value from an FT Program, using a loophole, and trying to game the system. They never said Uber Eats would work. I think this is in the "using a loophole" area. I don't really have any sympathy for the people complaining though.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stc
There is a fine line between trying to get the most value from an FT Program, using a loophole, and trying to game the system. They never said Uber Eats would work. I think this is in the "using a loophole" area. I don't really have any sympathy for the people complaining though.
I agree with you. It's very similar to cashing out the airline credit with the United MileageplusX app to buy gift cards. It was clearly never the intended use, but for one reason or another it worked for quite a while, until Amex changed it. We didn't really have a right to complain but it was nice while it lasted. I feel the same way about Uber Eats, though I have only had to rely on using it to use up the credit twice so far.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mia
Precisely, and business decisions are best made based on a cold calculation of which product provides best value for you now. Anger because American Express raised the price, changed a policy, or corrected an error should play no role in the decision. The comparison will not be American Express Platinum 2018 vs Platinum 2017, it will be American Express 2018 vs the best product you can find. All issuers change polices and adjust practices, and none of them care if they have your business or mine.
I wouldn't say I'm angry, although I don't begrudge someone who can't benefit from the Uber credit as being angry at the raised AF. They have a right to be upset, and the UberEats was mitigating the fee.

Originally Posted by stc
None of us are looking for sympathy. Just as there are approximately eight threads about using the $200 airline credit, those of us to whom the Uber Eats was important, have been using this thread to track its success.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Agreed -- fine to be annoyed/disappointed, but seems a bit ridiculous to be "furious."
This. Also ridiculous to think it's "absurd" that a business chooses to actually enforce their stated T&Cs.

Just as it is ridiculous to think it is absurd and be angry about the police enforcing a well-signed speed limit. Whether you agree with the limit or not, and whether you've gotten away with it before or not, it still exists.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Yeah in Uber but not Eats here. I am going to be furious if I paid a 550 fee and I just lost 200 in value.

I am pretty furious about this as well. October 1, saw $15 Uber Eats credit, and now, its gone. Still exists in regular Uber. It is very irritating as it appears to be deliberate, but not a surprising trend for airlines/credit cards to issue devaluation after devaluation, raising fees, and diminishing benefits. Uber Eats is the only way I will get to use the Uber credit. I take actual Uber rides less than 5 times a year. By deliberately eliminating this option is quite a ripoff in my opinion.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:22 am

Since we know there's nothing we can actually complain about, as UberEats was never officially allowed, just remember when non-renewing the card to explicitly point to the Uber credit situation. Worst case, the feedback goes into the circular file, but perhaps they'll offer a retention bonus or if enough people mention it, the new CEO might re-evaluate.

I'd like to see Amex drop Uber because I don't like Uber as a company - so far I've only used Uber / UberEats because of the Amex credit, never "just because".
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Uber Eats still works, I used it today, $5 uber eats specials.

The credits don't show in uber eats but it still works.

I had a targeted 2x $5 delivery fee also applied.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by mhdena
Uber Eats still works, I used it today, $5 uber eats specials.

The credits don't show in uber eats but it still works.

I had a targeted 2x $5 delivery fee also applied.
Plenty of other DPs over on r/churning as well that the credit still works for UberEats even though it doesn't appear to post there.

What do you mean by "targeted 2x $5 delivery fee"? Uber charged you a $10 delivery fee on your order?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.