Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by uneeq
Not sure what or who decides the mark up, but I've only tested/tried a couple of orders. Amazon PrimeNow will send me food with no mark up and $0 delivery fee, so I only use UberEATS on a place not on Amazon.
Ahh. Amazon Restaurants just came to my area and I got a couple $10 codes. Ive been wondering what their pricing scheme is. Awesome news if delivery is included with Prime!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by acarney
What's the catch with UberEATS? (And does this credit apply to that? There seems to be some mixed data points here...)

Do you pay per mile the distance between the restaurant and where you are PLUS the $4.99 fee, or is it just the $4.99 fee? (Of course the cost of food, but that's a give in :P)

I highly doubt I'll ever use Uber, I just don't use taxi's or ride sharing apps to begin with. I like light rail when the option is there or renting a car/booking a professional private car for airport transfers or something. That said, I totally can see myself wanting food delivered to my hotel at 9pm or something after a full day of doing stuff and if I can use my credit for that I totally would. Heck, if it's seriously just $4.99 I could see myself using that for dinner the night I fly in, breakfast the next morning, and maybe a late snack that night too just to use the credit up :P

Anyone know if Serious Pie in Seattle is part of UberEATS? Oh god that would be awesome :P
I have checked 5 restaurants in my area and they have the same price. I guess Uber charges $5 plus a commission from the sale (like 10-20%). I value the $15 a month only $10 because $5 goes to the delivery.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Juanefny
Does the VIP option come up in any city?
New York has it. Haven't noticed any noticeable increase in estimated waiting time for VIP vs. regular UberX, not more than 1-2 minutes, if that. And interestingly, last night on my trip from JFK, the VIP option was a few $ less than regular UberX. ^
Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I have checked 5 restaurants in my area and they have the same price. I guess Uber charges $5 plus a commission from the sale (like 10-20%). I value the $15 a month only $10 because $5 goes to the delivery.
Wait, can you use the $15 credit towards the FOOD cost too?! Does Uber just bill it as a single item. (I was thinking it would be food cost billed via whatever place you ordered and then Uber fee + whatever tip processed via your Uber account).

That would be awesome, I'll totally use free food!
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Wait, can you use the $15 credit towards the FOOD cost too?! Does Uber just bill it as a single item. (I was thinking it would be food cost billed via whatever place you ordered and then Uber fee + whatever tip processed via your Uber account).

That would be awesome, I'll totally use free food!
Yes, you can apply the $15 toward food. It all posts as a single charge to your Amex (or whatever CC you use).

So:
$11 hot wings (incl tax)
+$4.99 Uber fee
$15.99 total bill

Without applying a credit, you'd just see $15.99 appear as a single charge on your credit card bill.

With applying the credit, you'd see $15.00 taken off on your receipt, and $0.99 as a single charge appears on your credit card.

Last week I ordered some Malaysian food and ended up with a $0.16 charge to my Amex. Probably one of the smallest charges I've ever processed on my Plat card.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Yes, you can apply the $15 toward food. It all posts as a single charge to your Amex (or whatever CC you use).

So:
$11 hot wings (incl tax)
+$4.99 Uber fee
$15.99 total bill

Without applying a credit, you'd just see $15.99 appear as a single charge on your credit card bill.

With applying the credit, you'd see $15.00 taken off on your receipt, and $0.99 as a single charge appears on your credit card.

Last week I ordered some Malaysian food and ended up with a $0.16 charge to my Amex. Probably one of the smallest charges I've ever processed on my Plat card.
That's fantastic! This totally helps with my attitude to the new perks/increased fee! So... never used UberEATS before, will they deliver to hotels, and do they expect lofty tips or they'll down rate you or anything? I don't mind a small tip but I feel like some of these food delivery services and stuff expect big tips because they think only rich people that have money to waste are using their services...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:19 pm

Anyone know if Serious Pie in Seattle is part of UberEATS? Oh god that would be awesome :P
You can search in the UberEATS app...
and for the record the answer is no
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
That's fantastic! This totally helps with my attitude to the new perks/increased fee! So... never used UberEATS before, will they deliver to hotels, and do they expect lofty tips or they'll down rate you or anything? I don't mind a small tip but I feel like some of these food delivery services and stuff expect big tips because they think only rich people that have money to waste are using their services...

They deliver anywhere. They use Uber drivers to pick up the food in the restaurant and deliver it to the address you put. The best thing is that drivers dont expect at all tip. Its a seamless transaction just as regular Uber. You can track when your order is being made, when its ready and even the position of the driver when he is coming. Once the driver gives you the food he just leaves. Overall MUCH better than any other delivery company.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:06 am

They deliver anywhere. They use Uber drivers to pick up the food in the restaurant and deliver it to the address you put. The best thing is that drivers dont expect at all tip. Its a seamless transaction just as regular Uber. You can track when your order is being made, when its ready and even the position of the driver when he is coming. Once the driver gives you the food he just leaves. Overall MUCH better than any other delivery company.
oh and they dont rate you and you dont rate them. So it doesnt matter if you tip. As I said before. So far I have ordered 5 times (we have several amex plats) and all of the times they just come, give you the food and leave really fast.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oh and they dont rate you and you dont rate them. So it doesnt matter if you tip. As I said before. So far I have ordered 5 times (we have several amex plats) and all of the times they just come, give you the food and leave really fast.
+1 on both of these.

Though last night, my delivery driver decided to use his own nav app vs. linking out from the Uber app (I assume the UberEATS driver app has much of the same functionality as regular Uber).

He ended up typing the wrong street name and drove 30 mins in the wrong direction (from a restaurant 0.5 mi from my house) before calling me. Food arrived late and cold - I'm requesting a refund from Uber and am unsure how that will work with the Amex credit applied.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:32 am

The best thing is that drivers dont expect at all tip.
While theoretically this is true; I had drivers ask for a tip.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gsxsilver
While theoretically this is true; I had drivers ask for a tip.
At which point, I somehow happen to not be carrying cash and their rating drops a star from whatever it would have been before.

Uber drivers are specifically instructed to NOT solicit tips, since that's one of the selling points of the program for riders.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 12:43 pm

Now on my THIRD 'disabled' message after they claimed to have 'fixed' the issue...

I am curious whether there are others in this thread who only signed up because of the AXP benefit.

The inability to use either app (uber or uberEats) is seriously and rapidly devaluing the Platinum card and will cause me to question whether I want to maintain it come renewal time...
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Glad to see UberEats counts. I use it a bunch. Far more than the car service. Except when delta has a meltdown over a thunderstorm
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Horrible, horrible AmEx Platinum experience this month. My AmEx platinum is THE only payment methodology in my Uber app. Took two trips on April 1st, but could not select the Uber credit in the app (it was there, visible, but nothing happened when I selected it).
Called AmEx today to inquire as to where my credit was (as I was billed the full amount on my AmEx statement) and they gave me a 30 minute run-around with four (count 'em) different CSRs, none of which explained anything to the next CSR, and only one of which spoke english as their primary language. They kept passing the buck telling me it was an Uber app problem (which it very well may be). Ultimately, for a card with a $450/year annual fee, I expect better service, more "ownership" being shown by the CSRs in question and in the final analysis, I expect them to fix the issue, not pass the buck to Uber.
Given the increase in annual fee (for my next renewal in 2018), has me thinking I should maximize my benefits this year - travel credit, Rewards points, credit for Global entry/TSA pre-check -- and then move on to another card.
Has anyone else noticed a bit of a dip in the quality of service provided by the phone CSRs? They used to be so good. They weren't particularly fast, but when I called, I always felt like they would resolve whatever issue I was having.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.