Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card and Centurion Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card or Centurion Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kyh
Hi all, is anyone able to see the Uber VIP option for those that are in NYC? Anyone mind posting a screenshot on how it should look like? I have the $15 credit showed up on my account but did not see anything related to the VIP option.
I would like to know this as well. I don't see VIP anywhere in my profile.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sparviero
Las Vegas, NV. Unfortunately the activation fee of $2.50 did not get reimbursed.
Also, this was my first time trying it, and apparently you don't prepay for the rides, you just prepay the activation fee for all of them and then you have flat rates for 30 days.

More info: https://www.uber.com/info/plus/lasvegas/
I don't think this will work either. I have Uber credits from gift card and purchased the option to get flat rates in the past. Charged my credit card instead of using gift card credits. I assume this would be the same.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I just ordered Uber Eats for lunch with my Platinum card and it appears that the $15 credit was NOT applied. It shows in my apps (both Eats and passenger) but the receipt shows the full $16.06 for my lunch was charged to my Amex. Very disappointed although not surprised.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:08 pm

Confirming credit is valid for Uber EATS. After delivery, received email with $0.00 charged on credit card. Order was less than $15, remaining balance/credit appears on Uber and Uber EATS apps.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by wahooflyer
I just ordered Uber Eats for lunch with my Platinum card and it appears that the $15 credit was NOT applied. It shows in my apps (both Eats and passenger) but the receipt shows the full $16.06 for my lunch was charged to my Amex. Very disappointed although not surprised.
Has the food been delivered? Mine showed the same until after the delivery email.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Troopers
Has the food been delivered? Mine showed the same until after the delivery email.
Oops, you're right. Once the driver got here, the receipt came through in my email for just $1.06. I suppose the $16.06 charge to the Amex will just drop off in a few days.

My tummy and wallet are happy!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
It's about lunch time in Bay area and I plan to order lunch now. Since this is my first use of Uber Eats and I got the free delivery code from Uber Eats once I downloaded the App. Can I use this promotion code with $15 credit?

Last edited by tomwhom; Mar 30, 2017 at 12:53 pm
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by tomwhom
It's about lunch time in Bay area and I plan to order lunch now. Since this is my first use of Uber Eats and I got the free delivery code from Uber Eats once I downloaded the App. Can I use this promotion code with $15 credit?
Yes. I signed up for Uber Eats today, applied a new member $15 promo, and ordered something for ~$17 total. $15 was deducted from the promo, bringing the total to ~$2. After the food was delivered, I got an email that showed the ~$2 was covered by the $15 Amex credit and my new credit balance is ~$13.

Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kyh
Hi all, is anyone able to see the Uber VIP option for those that are in NYC? Anyone mind posting a screenshot on how it should look like? I have the $15 credit showed up on my account but did not see anything related to the VIP option.
I only see UberX VIP. Nothing over on the Premium tab. Posting from my phone using FT attachments, so my apologies that this is probably going to be a giant screenshot for desktop users.
Attached Images  
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:33 pm
kyh

Originally Posted by tomwhom
I just did. This is my first time ordering Uber Eats and I had a $22 promo code. My lunch was about $27, and it came to $5 with $22 off. I have a pending charge of $5 on Amex and I just checked my credit balance for Uber and it dropped from $15 to $10.

So my $27 meal was free ($22 first order promo code + $5 Amex Uber credit) and I still have $10 remaining credit to use.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
I only see UberX VIP. Nothing over on the Premium tab. Posting from my phone using FT attachments, so my apologies that this is probably going to be a giant screenshot for desktop users.
I got the credit on my account but don't see VIP as shown in the screenshot. I'm in NYC as well, so the service is available.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JHake10
I would like to know this as well. I don't see VIP anywhere in my profile.
I dont see it either under UberX. There is no Uber Black VIP, since Uber Black is considered "VIP" by default.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
Originally Posted by sparviero
Yes. I signed up for Uber Eats today, applied a new member $15 promo, and ordered something for ~$17 total. $15 was deducted from the promo, bringing the total to ~$2. After the food was delivered, I got an email that showed the ~$2 was covered by the $15 Amex credit and my new credit balance is ~$13.
Yes I just finished my lunch, it's working like a charm!

Last edited by mia; Mar 30, 2017 at 2:05 pm Reason: Remove quoted image
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:02 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
I dont see it either under UberX. There is no Uber Black VIP, since Uber Black is considered "VIP" by default.
I am in the same boat. I am wondering if only certain cities have VIP? From a quick google search, NYC, DFW, DC, and Denver come up. But no others. I'm in Chicago right now. Won't be traveling for another two weeks to try it in SDF.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:18 pm

Yes, only certain markets have VIP.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.