Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Fourteen dollars for green beans. Wow.
It's a perfect example of the intended purpose of this "benefit" -- to increase net spending, while fooling customers that it would offset the AF.
GTITAN, Diplomatico and cuthroat like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MaxVO
It's a perfect example of the intended purpose of this "benefit" -- to increase net spending, while fooling customers that it would offset the AF.
I don't disagree on Amex/Uber's intent, but in this case this is a restaurant I order from (or go to) all the time, and those prices are exactly what you'd pay in the restaurant or for carryout. The Amex credit covered my delivery fee plus a little more and saved me a drive to/from the restaurant. This was family-style Chinese so giant portions - this particular order covered dinner + next day's lunch for both me and my wife plus some leftover veggies for the following night's dinner.

Not everything is terrible all the time.
chrisny2, GTITAN, Statman and 6 others like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Here's an image of a recent UberEats order where my Amex credit was applied. Email arrived literally as the delivery driver was backing out of my driveway and IIRC this is essentially how they have always shown since UE became an "official" use method for the credit.

My recent UberEats receipt doesn't look like the above. It's missing the credit card line below Uber Cash. I looked at my credit card statement and I now have 3 pending transactions, Uber $0 (incorrect), Uber $3.07 (correct), Uber $18.07 (incorrect), so if the two incorrect pending transactions drop away then it all works it out. But what happened?? Somehow Uber had my recent order all fouled-up, just because I used a different credit card this time?!
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Magna
My recent UberEats receipt doesn't look like the above. It's missing the credit card line below Uber Cash. I looked at my credit card statement and I now have 3 pending transactions, Uber $0 (incorrect), Uber $3.07 (correct), Uber $18.07 (incorrect), so if the two incorrect pending transactions drop away then it all works it out. But what happened?? Somehow Uber had my recent order all fouled-up, just because I used a different credit card this time?!
Interesting. It sounds like you may have added a new CC just before this order? If so, a possible explanation of the CC authorizations is:
1. $0 just to validate the card being added to the app
2. $18 for the full cost of the meal (this is normal IME)
3. $3 for the cost after credits (can't remember if I see this also or if the final reduced charge just posts off the initial full-cost authorization)

That doesn't explain the missing line from your receipt, but the multiple authorizations don't sound too weird at least.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Not everything is terrible all the time.
but but Uber sucks and it's all Amex's fault! Cancel yo plats! And the trick still works

Anyway my Mom went to use her credit for Uber Eats for lunch a few days ago and the delivery guy marked it as delivered to her office even though she tried to find him and he was nowhere to be found. She said a quick complaint to Uber and they not only refunded her order, but also sent her a promo for waived delivery fees on her next 5 orders or something over the next couple weeks. I was surprised after pretty much always being told to go pound sand whenever I have the misfortune of needing to contact Uber customer service.
gooselee likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:15 pm

In the Bay Area, California, we just started to have the pickup service about 2 weeks ago. I rather pickup it up myself than having some unknown people to delivery to me. You just don't know what they did to your food when they were driving.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by Racky
In the Bay Area, California, we just started to have the pickup service about 2 weeks ago. I rather pickup it up myself than having some unknown people to delivery to me. You just don't know what they did to your food when they were driving.
Yep...

1 In 4 Food Delivery Drivers Admit To Eating Your Food
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
I use Uber (and Uber Eats) so frequently in my normal day to day that my Amex credit is generally exhausted by days end on the first day of each month. I live in a city where this behavior is not uncommon. This is indeed $200 that I would have otherwise spent out of my own pocket.
GTITAN, Statman, gooselee and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:52 am

In the Bay Area, California, we just started to have the pickup service about 2 weeks ago.
Where in the Bay Area are referring to? I've been using Uber Eats for a while now.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:38 pm

Interesting. It sounds like you may have added a new CC just before this order? If so, a possible explanation of the CC authorizations is:
1. $0 just to validate the card being added to the app
2. $18 for the full cost of the meal (this is normal IME)
3. $3 for the cost after credits (can't remember if I see this also or if the final reduced charge just posts off the initial full-cost authorization)

That doesn't explain the missing line from your receipt, but the multiple authorizations don't sound too weird at least.
It was a newly added credit card. I added it a few hours before ordering.

Originally Posted by IndyHoosier
Yeah, I don't order fries because of that.

I rather pickup too, but pickup choices are quite a bit fewer than delivery.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
but but Uber sucks and it's all Amex's fault! Cancel yo plats! And the trick still works

Anyway my Mom went to use her credit for Uber Eats for lunch a few days ago and the delivery guy marked it as delivered to her office even though she tried to find him and he was nowhere to be found. She said a quick complaint to Uber and they not only refunded her order, but also sent her a promo for waived delivery fees on her next 5 orders or something over the next couple weeks. I was surprised after pretty much always being told to go pound sand whenever I have the misfortune of needing to contact Uber customer service.
I contacted their customer service a couple of times and they didn't even answer me, just because the issue fixed itself they should still respond to customer service messages.

Last edited by mia; Aug 2, 2019 at 6:47 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies. Please use the Multi-quote function.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Where in the Bay Area are referring to? I've been using Uber Eats for a while now.
I'm seeing it now in Oakland. I'm almost never interested in getting delivery (wasteful when I can walk to a plethora of restaurants and delivery fee + tip eats up much of the $15) so this is great for me. I usually ride uber 0-1 times a month so this will guarantee I can use the credits every month.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Quite unexpectedly, my AMEX credit showed up today after not showing up for two consecutive months. It is now explicitly listed as an AMEX Benefit under Credits in the app (as opposed to just Uber Cash or whatever). Hopefully this issue remains resolved.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
San Francisco, Daly City , San Mateo, Oakland, all the way up to Vallejo and Walnut Creek for my Android phone . If you use IOS and don't see it, maybe need to wait til Uber to update the app.

Originally Posted by Magna
I rather pickup too, but pickup choices are quite a bit fewer than delivery.
At this moment, "Yes". But it is just a matter of time. Once all the other restaurants sign the new agreement for consumer pickup , it would have more. Form their points of view, pickup is a pickup, it doesn't matter it is picked up by the consumer or by a Uber driver.

Last edited by mia; Aug 2, 2019 at 6:49 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:27 am

My monthly Uber credit keeps come in even though I cancelled my Plat 3 months ago. Has this happened to anyone?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by asdfghjk
My monthly Uber credit keeps come in even though I cancelled my Plat 3 months ago. Has this happened to anyone?
Remember Uber/Amex are evil so you definitely shouldn't take the free money. This benefit could never, ever work in the customer's favor. =P

But seriously, that's a very interesting effect. Have you been able to actually spend the credit? Obviously do not call and ask about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.