Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit begins 30 March 2017

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit begins 30 March 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 11, 19, 12:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: CKDGM
Wiki Link
Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
It appears that multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.

Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 29, 17, 5:25 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
...it's a bigger concern that they started this stupid promo right after Uber went through probably its worst PR month in history....
It's unfortunate timing, but this would have been negotiated and scheduled last year.
Old May 2, 17, 1:29 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Gold
Has everyone received their credit for May yet? Just checked my uber account and the credit is not in the account yet.
Old May 2, 17, 4:29 am

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Originally Posted by kylie79 View Post
Has everyone received their credit for May yet? Just checked my uber account and the credit is not in the account yet.
I have received my credit, but it wasn't loaded until sometime in the morning on 5/1.
Old May 2, 17, 5:03 am

I too didn't have it. I deleted/re-added the card and the credit appeared. I hope I don't have to do it every month.
Old May 2, 17, 5:50 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer View Post
I too didn't have it. I deleted/re-added the card and the credit appeared. I hope I don't have to do it every month.
same. i have to delete and re-add before it appeared.

Last edited by Lonsinla; May 2, 17 at 9:43 am
Old May 2, 17, 6:38 am

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by bedelman View Post
Is there a good way to get feedback to the Amex staff who designed this promotion with Uber? Surely they'd be disappointed to learn that, two months in, smart folks like patrick, justdoinjjs, and maybe me are concluding "meh", "not worth the headache", and similar.
As long as most of those people aren't cancelling their cards, or they're getting new signups as a result of marketing the promotion, people giving up on using the credit is actually a plus for Amex. Collect the higher AF and they don't have to shell out for the Uber credits.
Old May 2, 17, 7:07 am

No issues here for both Uber and UberEATS (and x2 Platinum accts equaling $30).
Old May 2, 17, 6:59 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
It's a shame that using this credit has to be so complicated for many FTers.
Old May 2, 17, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Amex Plat
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
As long as most of those people aren't cancelling their cards, or they're getting new signups as a result of marketing the promotion, people giving up on using the credit is actually a plus for Amex. Collect the higher AF and they don't have to shell out for the Uber credits.
That's the whole Amex business model: give people benefits that are annoying to use and hope that they don't use them. And it appears to be costing them big time because the CSR has become much more popular with Millennials than the Plat. Millennials aren't dumb, we do our research before signing up, and many have decided that jumping through hoops to use benefits is just not something they want to do.
Old May 3, 17, 7:56 am

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
It's a shame that using this credit has to be so complicated for many FTers.
I think the blame lies with Uber for this one, though.
Old May 3, 17, 9:13 am

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes View Post
Right.
Old May 3, 17, 11:12 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Amex Plat
Originally Posted by patrick.barnes View Post
If you are referring to the decision to split the benefit into $15 per month increments that must be used or lost, to be honest, I think it was a mutual decision by both Amex and Uber, although for different reasons. Amex likes to offer benefits that are difficult to use, because it thinks that by doing this, it won't have to pay as much. Uber on the other hand, wants to get people in the habit of using their services. They don't want people to blow their entire $200 credit on maybe 2-3 long distance rides, or 1-2 nice takeout meals. They'd rather have people have to return every month and use their services again and again.
Old May 3, 17, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by STS-134 View Post
If you are referring to the decision to split the benefit into $15 per month increments that must be used or lost, to be honest, I think it was a mutual decision by both Amex and Uber, although for different reasons. Amex likes to offer benefits that are difficult to use, because it thinks that by doing this, it won't have to pay as much. Uber on the other hand, wants to get people in the habit of using their services. They don't want people to blow their entire $200 credit on maybe 2-3 long distance rides, or 1-2 nice takeout meals. They'd rather have people have to return every month and use their services again and again.
I think patrick.barnes was referring to your comment of "It's a shame that using this credit has to be so complicated for many FTers"...so, were you referring to the decision to split the benefit as so complicated?
Old May 4, 17, 6:58 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Does anyone know if the AMEX plat credit can be applied towards rides taken under Uber's ride pass program?
Old May 7, 17, 8:01 am

Platinum uber benefits

Has anyone else had trouble activating their platinum uber benefit.

I see the credits loaded on my app, however, I never seen the credits applied. Is there a long delay?

Search this Thread