Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by dhodory
Horrible, horrible AmEx Platinum experience this month. My AmEx platinum is THE only payment methodology in my Uber app. Took two trips on April 1st, but could not select the Uber credit in the app (it was there, visible, but nothing happened when I selected it).
Called AmEx today to inquire as to where my credit was (as I was billed the full amount on my AmEx statement) and they gave me a 30 minute run-around with four (count 'em) different CSRs, none of which explained anything to the next CSR, and only one of which spoke english as their primary language. They kept passing the buck telling me it was an Uber app problem (which it very well may be). Ultimately, for a card with a $450/year annual fee, I expect better service, more "ownership" being shown by the CSRs in question and in the final analysis, I expect them to fix the issue, not pass the buck to Uber.
Given the increase in annual fee (for my next renewal in 2018), has me thinking I should maximize my benefits this year - travel credit, Rewards points, credit for Global entry/TSA pre-check -- and then move on to another card.
Has anyone else noticed a bit of a dip in the quality of service provided by the phone CSRs? They used to be so good. They weren't particularly fast, but when I called, I always felt like they would resolve whatever issue I was having.
You are not alone in having issues with the apps...I have had the fourth and fifth failures today, presently awaiting their response for the current level of bull telling me it was a 'temporary hold' as a 'security precaution' and my account should be good now. I still have not even been able to order a meal...cannot speak to trying to get a ride since I do not have cause to need a ride where I am located at present...

I cannot speak to your CSR experience though...I got people clearly based in the US on my two calls and actually got it escalated to work on AXP figuring out how to get with Uber to fix the problem.

I can only encourage those who have problems with the Uber apps to continue letting AXP know given that a 'benefit' that cannot be used seriously devalues the worth of the card...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
What is the process 'supposed' to be with the Uber app/Plat credit?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
What is the process 'supposed' to be with the Uber app/Plat credit?
My presumption was to download/install app, sign in, use app. However, that is not working...

AXP concedes that the credit appearing in Eats was an 'unintended consequence' but that does not address why the app has my card info but when I try to complete a transaction it immediately goes to 'account disabled' on not only Eats but also the basic Uber app...
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:56 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hiima
If Uber eats doesn't work, there's gonna be a lot of unhappy campers
Originally Posted by michelle227
...AXP concedes that the credit appearing in Eats was an 'unintended consequence' ...
It's pretty clear from the terms (cannot be applied to other Uber services) that UberEats is not intended to be part of this benefit, and we should assume it will disappear. However, it's also clear that Uber is experiencing some technical challenges implementing the benefit, and fixing this may not be top of their to-do list.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
My presumption was to download/install app, sign in, use app. However, that is not working...

AXP concedes that the credit appearing in Eats was an 'unintended consequence' but that does not address why the app has my card info but when I try to complete a transaction it immediately goes to 'account disabled' on not only Eats but also the basic Uber app...
I would agree. Add the card. Use the card in the app. Credit is somewhere to be used.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:45 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I was excited that UberEats was working for other folks, and was hoping it was going to be like the Airline credit that "can't be used for airfare" but gift cards usually work.

So, I finally signed up for an Uber account and added my PLT as my only payment. At Ubereats checkout, my payment "couldn't be validated". I did not try without the "credits" checked because I wasn't interested in paying the $5 delivery out of pocket for a restaurant 2 miles away.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:54 am

Now on my THIRD 'disabled' message after they claimed to have 'fixed' the issue...

I am curious whether there are others in this thread who only signed up because of the AXP benefit.

The inability to use either app (uber or uberEats) is seriously and rapidly devaluing the Platinum card and will cause me to question whether I want to maintain it come renewal time...
I have and I had the biggest headache trying to sign up for an account because they wouldn't accept my Google Voice number. It was a nightmare and their reps are useless and incompetent. If it wasn't for this amex promo I would never ever gone through all the troubles I did for a damn uber account.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by mia
It's pretty clear from the terms (cannot be applied to other Uber services) that UberEats is not intended to be part of this benefit, and we should assume it will disappear. However, it's also clear that Uber is experiencing some technical challenges implementing the benefit, and fixing this may not be top of their to-do list.
That's my take as well. Let's enjoy $15/mo. of free UberEats while we can. These fixes might seem simple from the outside, but I'm sure it takes some serious IT work.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:27 am

And now up to SEVEN times seeing the error messages and immediately having my account disabled...so much for the claim from UberSupport last night that they had fixed the problem. They had asserted in a message that there was some sort of an issue making their system believe it was a fraudulent use of the card, which says THEY have a software problem given that AXP has repeatedly assured me there is no issue with the Platinum card...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
...issue making their system believe it was a fraudulent use of the card...
Can you try another credit card to test if the problem is specific to the card account?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
That's my take as well. Let's enjoy $15/mo. of free UberEats while we can. These fixes might seem simple from the outside, but I'm sure it takes some serious IT work.
Ugh, I wish they would at least let the credit apply to their service fee... but of course they wouldn't be as likely to make money off people. They want an Uber ride to be $30 or something and the credit to just discount the service, not "free rides".
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
Given what I know about Uber, I'm not sure it's technical challenges as much as them not wanting to do it. That said, if the UberEats loophole disappears, my finger will be pretty close to pushing the cancel button on this card, because they will have raised the fees and in exchange provided a benefit that I find completely useless.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I had such a bad experience signing up for Uber a couple years ago I just use Lyft (where I can). My AF won't go up until next May so we'll see if I use the Uber benefit enough to keep the card.

My Uber experience was this: There was a (I guess) dormant account with my phone number (my number was fairly new then, less than 6 months old). They would not let me complete the sign up saying "phone number in use." Now the usual way around this is to call/text the number to prove I own it. Nope, took three weeks of back and forth with their support until they finally fixed it. By then the trip where I was going to use it had passed.

For company supposedly based on their "amazing technology" it was a big fail.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I have Apple iOS, my default payment is Plat card, my credits appear, my credit selection slider is 'on' ... I took two rides last night, and they are showing as pending charges at full price -- is my account broken ?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by 4aks
I have Apple iOS, my default payment is Plat card, my credits appear, my credit selection slider is 'on' ... I took two rides last night, and they are showing as pending charges at full price -- is my account broken ?
Check your receipt. And the pending charges won't post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.