Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit begins 30 March 2017

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit begins 30 March 2017

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 11, 19, 12:33 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: CKDGM
Wiki Link
Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
It appears that multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.

Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Apr 10, 17, 8:36 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,604
Originally Posted by uneeq View Post
Not sure what or who decides the mark up, but I've only tested/tried a couple of orders. Amazon PrimeNow will send me food with no mark up and $0 delivery fee, so I only use UberEATS on a place not on Amazon.
Ahh. Amazon Restaurants just came to my area and I got a couple $10 codes. Ive been wondering what their pricing scheme is. Awesome news if delivery is included with Prime!
gooselee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 17, 8:58 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: FL
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,168
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
What's the catch with UberEATS? (And does this credit apply to that? There seems to be some mixed data points here...)

Do you pay per mile the distance between the restaurant and where you are PLUS the $4.99 fee, or is it just the $4.99 fee? (Of course the cost of food, but that's a give in :P)

I highly doubt I'll ever use Uber, I just don't use taxi's or ride sharing apps to begin with. I like light rail when the option is there or renting a car/booking a professional private car for airport transfers or something. That said, I totally can see myself wanting food delivered to my hotel at 9pm or something after a full day of doing stuff and if I can use my credit for that I totally would. Heck, if it's seriously just $4.99 I could see myself using that for dinner the night I fly in, breakfast the next morning, and maybe a late snack that night too just to use the credit up :P

Anyone know if Serious Pie in Seattle is part of UberEATS? Oh god that would be awesome :P
I have checked 5 restaurants in my area and they have the same price. I guess Uber charges $5 plus a commission from the sale (like 10-20%). I value the $15 a month only $10 because $5 goes to the delivery.
lotrbfme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 7:29 am
  #183  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 22,700
Originally Posted by Juanefny View Post
Does the VIP option come up in any city?
New York has it. Haven't noticed any noticeable increase in estimated waiting time for VIP vs. regular UberX, not more than 1-2 minutes, if that. And interestingly, last night on my trip from JFK, the VIP option was a few $ less than regular UberX.
ijgordon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 11:08 am
  #184  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by lotrbfme View Post
I have checked 5 restaurants in my area and they have the same price. I guess Uber charges $5 plus a commission from the sale (like 10-20%). I value the $15 a month only $10 because $5 goes to the delivery.
Wait, can you use the $15 credit towards the FOOD cost too?! Does Uber just bill it as a single item. (I was thinking it would be food cost billed via whatever place you ordered and then Uber fee + whatever tip processed via your Uber account).

That would be awesome, I'll totally use free food!
acarney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 1:54 pm
  #185  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,604
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
Wait, can you use the $15 credit towards the FOOD cost too?! Does Uber just bill it as a single item. (I was thinking it would be food cost billed via whatever place you ordered and then Uber fee + whatever tip processed via your Uber account).

That would be awesome, I'll totally use free food!
Yes, you can apply the $15 toward food. It all posts as a single charge to your Amex (or whatever CC you use).

So:
$11 hot wings (incl tax)
+$4.99 Uber fee
$15.99 total bill

Without applying a credit, you'd just see $15.99 appear as a single charge on your credit card bill.

With applying the credit, you'd see $15.00 taken off on your receipt, and $0.99 as a single charge appears on your credit card.

Last week I ordered some Malaysian food and ended up with a $0.16 charge to my Amex. Probably one of the smallest charges I've ever processed on my Plat card.
gooselee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 6:15 pm
  #186  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Yes, you can apply the $15 toward food. It all posts as a single charge to your Amex (or whatever CC you use).

So:
$11 hot wings (incl tax)
+$4.99 Uber fee
$15.99 total bill

Without applying a credit, you'd just see $15.99 appear as a single charge on your credit card bill.

With applying the credit, you'd see $15.00 taken off on your receipt, and $0.99 as a single charge appears on your credit card.

Last week I ordered some Malaysian food and ended up with a $0.16 charge to my Amex. Probably one of the smallest charges I've ever processed on my Plat card.
That's fantastic! This totally helps with my attitude to the new perks/increased fee! So... never used UberEATS before, will they deliver to hotels, and do they expect lofty tips or they'll down rate you or anything? I don't mind a small tip but I feel like some of these food delivery services and stuff expect big tips because they think only rich people that have money to waste are using their services...
acarney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 17, 7:19 pm
  #187  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SEA
Posts: 1,869
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
Anyone know if Serious Pie in Seattle is part of UberEATS? Oh god that would be awesome :P
You can search in the UberEATS app...
and for the record the answer is no
steveman518 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:04 am
  #188  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: FL
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,168
Originally Posted by acarney View Post
That's fantastic! This totally helps with my attitude to the new perks/increased fee! So... never used UberEATS before, will they deliver to hotels, and do they expect lofty tips or they'll down rate you or anything? I don't mind a small tip but I feel like some of these food delivery services and stuff expect big tips because they think only rich people that have money to waste are using their services...

They deliver anywhere. They use Uber drivers to pick up the food in the restaurant and deliver it to the address you put. The best thing is that drivers dont expect at all tip. Its a seamless transaction just as regular Uber. You can track when your order is being made, when its ready and even the position of the driver when he is coming. Once the driver gives you the food he just leaves. Overall MUCH better than any other delivery company.
lotrbfme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:06 am
  #189  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: FL
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 1,168
Originally Posted by lotrbfme View Post
They deliver anywhere. They use Uber drivers to pick up the food in the restaurant and deliver it to the address you put. The best thing is that drivers dont expect at all tip. Its a seamless transaction just as regular Uber. You can track when your order is being made, when its ready and even the position of the driver when he is coming. Once the driver gives you the food he just leaves. Overall MUCH better than any other delivery company.
oh and they dont rate you and you dont rate them. So it doesnt matter if you tip. As I said before. So far I have ordered 5 times (we have several amex plats) and all of the times they just come, give you the food and leave really fast.
lotrbfme is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 17, 9:46 am
  #190  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,604
Originally Posted by lotrbfme View Post
They deliver anywhere. They use Uber drivers to pick up the food in the restaurant and deliver it to the address you put. The best thing is that drivers dont expect at all tip. Its a seamless transaction just as regular Uber. You can track when your order is being made, when its ready and even the position of the driver when he is coming. Once the driver gives you the food he just leaves. Overall MUCH better than any other delivery company.
Originally Posted by lotrbfme View Post
oh and they dont rate you and you dont rate them. So it doesnt matter if you tip. As I said before. So far I have ordered 5 times (we have several amex plats) and all of the times they just come, give you the food and leave really fast.
+1 on both of these.

Though last night, my delivery driver decided to use his own nav app vs. linking out from the Uber app (I assume the UberEATS driver app has much of the same functionality as regular Uber).

He ended up typing the wrong street name and drove 30 mins in the wrong direction (from a restaurant 0.5 mi from my house) before calling me. Food arrived late and cold - I'm requesting a refund from Uber and am unsure how that will work with the Amex credit applied.
gooselee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 17, 11:32 am
  #191  
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 189
Originally Posted by lotrbfme View Post
The best thing is that drivers dont expect at all tip.
While theoretically this is true; I had drivers ask for a tip.
gsxsilver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 17, 11:52 am
  #192  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,604
Originally Posted by gsxsilver View Post
While theoretically this is true; I had drivers ask for a tip.
At which point, I somehow happen to not be carrying cash and their rating drops a star from whatever it would have been before.

Uber drivers are specifically instructed to NOT solicit tips, since that's one of the selling points of the program for riders.
gooselee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 17, 12:43 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Austin (TX)
Posts: 305
Now on my THIRD 'disabled' message after they claimed to have 'fixed' the issue...

I am curious whether there are others in this thread who only signed up because of the AXP benefit.

The inability to use either app (uber or uberEats) is seriously and rapidly devaluing the Platinum card and will cause me to question whether I want to maintain it come renewal time...
michelle227 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 17, 3:52 pm
  #194  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ATL
Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 2,038
Glad to see UberEats counts. I use it a bunch. Far more than the car service. Except when delta has a meltdown over a thunderstorm
dinanm3atl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 17, 8:28 am
  #195  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 69
Horrible, horrible AmEx Platinum experience this month. My AmEx platinum is THE only payment methodology in my Uber app. Took two trips on April 1st, but could not select the Uber credit in the app (it was there, visible, but nothing happened when I selected it).
Called AmEx today to inquire as to where my credit was (as I was billed the full amount on my AmEx statement) and they gave me a 30 minute run-around with four (count 'em) different CSRs, none of which explained anything to the next CSR, and only one of which spoke english as their primary language. They kept passing the buck telling me it was an Uber app problem (which it very well may be). Ultimately, for a card with a $450/year annual fee, I expect better service, more "ownership" being shown by the CSRs in question and in the final analysis, I expect them to fix the issue, not pass the buck to Uber.
Given the increase in annual fee (for my next renewal in 2018), has me thinking I should maximize my benefits this year - travel credit, Rewards points, credit for Global entry/TSA pre-check -- and then move on to another card.
Has anyone else noticed a bit of a dip in the quality of service provided by the phone CSRs? They used to be so good. They weren't particularly fast, but when I called, I always felt like they would resolve whatever issue I was having.
dhodory is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread