FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

ijgordon Sep 3, 2019 8:27 am

I did get an email a week or so ago about some changes to Uber Cash and priority, and it did say to make sure you update the app.
I used my credit on 8/31 (phew!), and I did have to change it to Personal and Uber Cash (it might have been set for my Business profile from my previous usage), but then for my use of the Sept credit on 9/1 I didn't need to do anything extra.

Mediahound Sep 3, 2019 11:23 pm

Mine defaulted to a credit card last month. I will say that I was able to change the payment method to the Uber Cash after the trip however, and it automatically refunded the charge to my credit card.

747FC Sep 5, 2019 10:56 am

Usually I have to go through minor gyrations to make sure the Uber Cash is used. This month, it was automatic out of my personal profile.

ucdtim17 Sep 11, 2019 7:05 pm

Just made Uber eats order, confirmed Apply Credits toggle was on, and it proceeded to charge the full bill on my card. :confused:

xov91 Sep 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 31515869)
Just made Uber eats order, confirmed Apply Credits toggle was on, and it proceeded to charge the full bill on my card. :confused:

I had the same experience last week. Once the charge moved from pending to posted, the amount updated to reflect the credit and $15 was deducted from my uber cash balance.

margarita girl Sep 22, 2019 1:20 am

First time using Uber in US in several months. (Last time was a nightmare, and Amex ended up giving me the $15 credit that Uber refused to give me.)

A little background info. I had to transfer from JFK to a hotel near LGA. I was planning on taking the airport shuttle to LGA ($17), followed by hotel shuttle. Lucky for me, I arrived at 8:30 pm and the last shuttle was at 7 pm. So I had no choice but to take a cab, Uber or Lyft. With much trepidation, I decided to try Uber again. I chose Uber cash as payment method. It was showing the $15 credit. It worked like a charm. Fare was $31, Uber cash was zeroed out and $16 went to my Amex. I saved $1 and got dropped off directly at my hotel. Woo-hoo! 👍

MaxVO Sep 22, 2019 2:56 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 31483922)
So far I have not experienced the part c. However, my tablet flashed a message today that the Uber app was recently updated. Hope that update included the features you described. I may find out in a couple weeks.

I got to test out the "enhanced" Uber version 3 days ago. It was a short ride quoted at ~$12. Before the ride the app flashed the display that this ride would be covered by Uber cash including the AmEx credit (with the last part in red). During the ride the billing option was Uber Cash (the pooled amount w/o the breakdown option). After the ride, the entire amount was taken from the no-expiration credit, and none from AmEx credit!!!
I'm aware that there are regional variations, and the latest "enhancement" is likely no different. :td:

bradpitch92 Sep 25, 2019 12:03 pm

Has anyone had any luck with using two $15 uber credits? Mine still doesn't work. Called in again this month and Amex was much less helpful and only gave me 500 MR points for my troubles, which definitely doesn't cover it all. The rep suggested i only have one card on the app at beginning of month, and then once that credit is used, delete the card and then add my other card.

Diplomatico Sep 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by bradpitch92 (Post 31562820)
Has anyone had any luck with using two $15 uber credits? Mine still doesn't work. Called in again this month and Amex was much less helpful and only gave me 500 MR points for my troubles, which definitely doesn't cover it all. The rep suggested i only have one card on the app at beginning of month, and then once that credit is used, delete the card and then add my other card.

I have a vanilla Plat and a Schwab Plat; $30 Uber cash to start the month.

dhuey Sep 27, 2019 6:10 pm

Just received an email from Amex. My guess is that they got tired of so many complaints and leaned on Uber to solve the problem. Good on you, Amex. I continue to have a very high regard for your products and services. Uber was tarnishing your good name.

What's changing?

Starting in September, your Uber Cash will be set to automatically apply your benefit to your next ride so that you can easily take advantage of your benefit every month.

Here's what you need to do

To receive this new experience, you must download Uber App version 3.363.10000or later for iOS or version 4.274.10000 or later for Android, and your eligible Platinum or Centurion Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account.

If you have questions about the benefit, or would like to view the terms and conditions, please visit https://www.uber.com/us/en/u/amex/

Adelphos Sep 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31571612)
Just received an email from Amex. My guess is that they got tired of so many complaints and leaned on Uber to solve the problem. Good on you, Amex. I continue to have a very high regard for your products and services. Uber was tarnishing your good name.

What's changing?

Starting in September, your Uber Cash will be set to automatically apply your benefit to your next ride so that you can easily take advantage of your benefit every month.

Here's what you need to do

To receive this new experience, you must download Uber App version 3.363.10000or later for iOS or version 4.274.10000 or later for Android, and your eligible Platinum or Centurion Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account.

If you have questions about the benefit, or would like to view the terms and conditions, please visit https://www.uber.com/us/en/u/amex/

This is exactly how the benefit has worked for several months (if not a year or more)

dhuey Sep 27, 2019 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 31571791)
This is exactly how the benefit has worked for several months (if not a year or more)

For you, perhaps. Not for many of us (see this very thread). Obviously there is no need for this announcement if everything has been
peachy for several months (if not a year or more).

margarita girl Sep 27, 2019 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 31571791)

Very odd. Uber issues started almost a year ago (Oct 2018) for just about everyone else on this thread.

Adelphos Sep 28, 2019 8:38 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 31571945)
For you, perhaps. Not for many of us (see this very thread). Obviously there is no need for this announcement if everything has been
peachy for several months (if not a year or more).

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31571957)
Very odd. Uber issues started almost a year ago (Oct 2018) for just about everyone else on this thread.

1) I haven't received the announcement via e-mail
2) My Uber app version seems to be several versions ahead of the one cited in the quoted e-mail
3) I use Uber Cash extensively - it always has worked the same since they moved from the "credits" to the Uber Cash system. The amex benefit adds the $15 on the first of the month, and it is the first dollar out whenever I use Uber Cash. Not that it matters that much given cash is fungible and I spend ~$500 a month on uber

dhuey Sep 28, 2019 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 31573019)
3) I use Uber Cash extensively - it always has worked the same since they moved from the "credits" to the Uber Cash system. The amex benefit adds the $15 on the first of the month, and it is the first dollar out whenever I use Uber Cash. Not that it matters that much given cash is fungible and I spend ~$500 a month on uber

Many of us, many times have seen Uber switch from our default of cash to credit card. Even more frustrating, I've had times where I tried switch back during the ride, but the app wouldn't let me do that. I've had to request the switch from support 3x.

Looks like Amex has finally put a stop to this.