Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun

American Express Platinum Card® and Centurion® Card Benefit

You can receive up to $200 in Uber Cash annually by adding your Consumer Platinum Card® or Centurion® Card from American Express as a payment method on your Uber account.

The Amex Benefit in Uber Cash is distributed in monthly increments of $15, plus a $20 bonus in December (for $35 in December total). This amount can be used for Uber services in the United States. The Amex Benefit will expire at the end of each month and will not roll over to the following month.

To use the Amex Benefit in Uber Cash:

1. Enter your destination on the home screen
2. Tap on your payment method
3. Select Uber Cash (If you're using ride profiles, tap Change and select Uber Cash)
4. Request a ride

To find your Uber Cash balance, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of your app and select 'Payment'.

When Uber Cash is selected as your payment method, the Amex Benefit will be applied to your fare. When your Amex Benefit isn't enough to cover the cost of the ride, you will be presented options to top-up your Uber Cash using a payment method on file. Alternatively, you may choose to pay the remaining balance for the cost of the ride using your preferred payment method. You can view your current Amex Benefit balance by tapping 'Payment' in the main menu of your Uber app.

You will receive the Amex Benefit each month as long as your Card remains eligible and is a payment method on your Uber account. If your eligible card is added to multiple Uber accounts, the account that you added the card to first will receive the benefit.

If you already have an eligible card on your Uber account, the benefit will automatically be applied to your Uber Cash balance. To add an eligible card to your Uber account, go to the 'Payment' section of the Uber app and select 'Add Payment Method'.

The Basic Card Member is eligible to receive this benefit. Additional Card Members are not eligible. You'll receive $15 in Uber Cash each month (plus the $20 bonus in December) for each eligible card on your Uber account.

How to switch which Uber account gets the Amex Benefit:

1. Delete the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account(s) with the eligible card on file that you do not wish to receive the benefit.*
2. Add the eligible card as a payment method on the Uber account you wish to receive the benefit. If the eligible card is already on this account, skip this step.
3. Complete steps 1 and 2 by 12:00 AM EST on the 1st day of the applicable month that you want the Amex benefit to apply to the applicable account. The benefit will switch accounts for the new month.

*You can always re-add your eligible card on the additional account(s) after completing these steps if you wish to use this eligible card as a payment method in those additional account(s).

Members with an eligible card will have access to UberVIP in select US markets. UberVIP is currently available in Atlanta, Dallas, Nashville, New Jersey, New Orleans, and New York City, and will be expanding to new cities beginning January 2019.

If you have specific questions about your American Express Card or other American Express benefits, please call the number on the back of your American Express Card.

For more information and to see the terms and conditions please visit uber.com/amex

Multiple $15 credits can be added to a single uber account by two different AMEX platinum cards and each card will trigger an increase of $15 to the credit balance.
If you are the primary Card Member on multiple eligible Card accounts, and those Cards are payment methods in your Uber account, you will receive the combination of credits for multiple Cards. For example, if you have two eligible Cards, you will receive $30 in credits each month for the combination of the two $15 credits. In December, you will receive $70 for the combination of the two $35 credits.
Your uber app must be set to request rides in 'personal' profile mode - other options (family, business) will not offer the AMEX credit

Terms of the Uber benefit (as of 2017-12-15, maybe obsolete):
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card.
Print Wikipost

USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2019, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
My monthly Uber credit keeps come in even though I cancelled my Plat 3 months ago. Has this happened to anyone?
It's been known to happen with cancelled and replacement cards. I was getting duplicate credits earlier this year after requesting a replacement card, and both my original and replacement cards were getting $15/mo for either 2 or 3 months since they were different card numbers.
MaxVO likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Remember Uber/Amex are evil so you definitely shouldn't take the free money. This benefit could never, ever work in the customer's favor. =P

But seriously, that's a very interesting effect. Have you been able to actually spend the credit? Obviously do not call and ask about it.
I spent the credits for June and July without any issue.

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's been known to happen with cancelled and replacement cards. I was getting duplicate credits earlier this year after requesting a replacement card, and both my original and replacement cards were getting $15/mo for either 2 or 3 months since they were different card numbers.
So in your case, it stopped after 2 or 3 months? Did Amex/Uber ask for the credit back?
gooselee likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by asdfghjk
So in your case, it stopped after 2 or 3 months? Did Amex/Uber ask for the credit back?
Yeah, just stopped one month, I guess after they trued up the list of active Plat cards with the cards receiving credits. Never heard a word from either company.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:08 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Racky
In the Bay Area, California, we just started to have the pickup service about 2 weeks ago. I rather pickup it up myself than having some unknown people to delivery to me. You just don't know what they did to your food when they were driving.
This is not as GrubHub where basically the same restaurants that delivery offer pickup... at least in my area, the pick up options are very limited compared to those who offer delivery.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Yeah, just stopped one month, I guess after they trued up the list of active Plat cards with the cards receiving credits. Never heard a word from either company.
I got a double credit month a little while back when I lost my card. After removing the old one and adding the replacement I got another $15 and a welcome email even though I had already spent my credit that month.

I think Uber's integration is just really lazy along the lines of "Do these digits match the plat card prefix and authorize? If yes give credit"

That being said I wouldn't recommend trying to intentionally exploit this. I could see them being forgiving about accidents because of lazy coding, but "losing" multiple cards to churn credits is a good way to get the ban hammer wrath real ....ing quick.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Amazing. I have the app default on Uber cash. It almost always ignores that and selects my Amex. Today it took that to the next level: It wouldn’t let me switch to cash (and use the Amex benefit) during the ride. After the ride, it wouldn’t let me switch payment to cash. I sent a message to support and someone there promptly resolved it, switching to cash for the ride.

It’s hard for me to see this as anything other than bad faith on Uber’s part. This has been going on for months.
angra likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 12:55 pm

I always set Uber Cash before ride when I get the benefit...I assume uber is defaulting away from Uber Cash when your balance goes to $0....they probably see it as a feature and not a bug
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by Javier1704

This is not as GrubHub where basically the same restaurants that delivery offer pickup... at least in my area, the pick up options are very limited compared to those who offer delivery.
I am lucky, at least the one I ordered before already have the pickup option, save me at least $5 per order. As I said it would take time for the others to sign the new agreement, it is just less than a month in the Bay Area. I can't see why GrubHub can do it but Uber Eats can't.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by Racky
I am lucky, at least the one I ordered before already have the pickup option, save me at least $5 per order. As I said it would take time for the others to sign the new agreement, it is just less than a month in the Bay Area. I can't see why GrubHub can do it but Uber Eats can't.
I agree. I hope more restaurants sign up!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:16 pm

are people still having issues where not both of your platinum cards are giving you Uber credits? For example, I only received $15 this month but should have received $30 because i have a vanilla plat and Ameriprise plat.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM - Jet Blue Mosaic - Hyatt LTG - Marriott Plat - Hertz PC
Again I did not receive the Uber credit for this month. Uber support is useless and just claims the problem is with AMEX. I have not heard back from AMEX yet on this (wrote a letter to corporate). Going to give up on this until I hear back from AMEX.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
I don't disagree on Amex/Uber's intent, but in this case this is a restaurant I order from (or go to) all the time, and those prices are exactly what you'd pay in the restaurant or for carryout. The Amex credit covered my delivery fee plus a little more and saved me a drive to/from the restaurant. This was family-style Chinese so giant portions - this particular order covered dinner + next day's lunch for both me and my wife plus some leftover veggies for the following night's dinner.

Not everything is terrible all the time.
So the Amex "Uber" credit actually subsidized some of your food? They didn't cut the credit when it hit the "delivery" charge?

GC
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
So the Amex "Uber" credit actually subsidized some of your food? They didn't cut the credit when it hit the "delivery" charge?

GC
The Amex credit doesn't distinguish. It just brings down your total charge, whatever it might be, up the the amount of the credit. If you ordered $11 of food and had a $4 delivery fee, your entire order would be free.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
The Amex credit doesn't distinguish. It just brings down your total charge, whatever it might be, up the the amount of the credit. If you ordered $11 of food and had a $4 delivery fee, your entire order would be free.
That is a real surprise!
OTOH, I suppose that most of the time, the delivery is more that the "allowance" (even in the "big spender" month of December)? Maybe not...
I didn't realize that any Uber charge could/would be quite so small.
(Obviously, DH is the Uber user in our household. Also, he uses the premium service level, so the amounts he's mentioned are nowhere near "less than $15".)

Is there a minimum charge for the driver "just to show up", even if driving someone next door or such?

GC
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by GeezerCouple
That is a real surprise!
OTOH, I suppose that most of the time, the delivery is more that the "allowance" (even in the "big spender" month of December)? Maybe not...
I didn't realize that any Uber charge could/would be quite so small.
(Obviously, DH is the Uber user in our household. Also, he uses the premium service level, so the amounts he's mentioned are nowhere near "less than $15".)

Is there a minimum charge for the driver "just to show up", even if driving someone next door or such?

GC
To clarify, I'm talking about Uber Eats, the food delivery service. They have a completely different pricing structure from "main" Uber, the rideshare service. In both cases, yes, the pricing is set that there is effectively a minimum fee.

For Eats, smaller orders sometimes make less financial sense because this means the delivery fee is a very large % of the overall cost - but if you're stuck somewhere and need food it's sometimes worth it (I've definitely done this when arriving late at a hotel where there's no room service, restaurant is closed, and there's nothing within safe walking distance).

Also, with Eats everything is paid to Uber. It's not like you pay the restaurant and then separately pay Uber to deliver. They wrap it all up in a single transaction for you (and I'm sure Uber takes some cut of the food cost, in addition to their cut of the delivery fee, in exchange for generating business for the restaurant).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.