FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

gengar Jun 24, 2019 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by strife (Post 31219200)
Did you have issues even after being transferred to the Priority Support Team? I am no fan of Uber (as I have posted on the rideshare forum here, I am currently on my fourth account or payment method suspension with Uber - each of the past three times the Priority Support Team has stated the suspension was incorrect), but my problems have always been resolved quickly upon being handled by the Priority Support Team. The problem is the huge mess in getting in touch with them.

Yes, both the rep who claimed my Plat was "invalid" (again, whatever that could possibly mean) and the rep who claimed I had used my credit but sent me a receipt from the wrong month identified themselves as part of priority support. It just shows how awful Uber customer service is.

Racky Jun 25, 2019 5:58 am

Today, I tried to ride from SFO. The fee showed $15.69. But when i tried to order by using my $15.00 Uber Credit, the app just wouldn't let me request the ride. It just went back to the first screen. I guess because my Uber Credit was not enough to cover the whole trip, and it wouldn't let me charge the balance to my credit card. I finally just used other transportation. That's it , I am done with Uber. I just use the credit for Uber Eats and forget about the ride anymore.

Kacee Jun 25, 2019 8:07 am

Originally Posted by cfabar1 (Post 31220677)
I think Uber wanted to try to convince Amex users to use Uber Cash instead

That, and more generally, Uber simply does not want you to use the credit, but pay full price instead. It is a fundamentally unethical company. Dirty tricks are in its DNA.

Adelphos Jun 25, 2019 8:17 am

I have begun loading Uber Cash once a week with $100 (costs $95 with the discount). The Amex credits always appear in the Uber Cash bucket, along with other various $5 credits I get. This has been working pretty seamlessly and has actually helped reduce my Uber usage a bit

ucdtim17 Jun 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17 (Post 31235224)
RE Lime scooters - When you scan one in, the text tells you you can pay with credit, debit or uber cash, but the app does not provide an option to pay with uber cash. Add payment only allows adding a new credit card. I've sent an inquiry into uber but am not optimistic this is going to work. The text is probably just wrong.

I'm probably at 20+ emails back and forth with Uber so far and am still unable to get definitive answers on either using Uber cash for scooters or ordering Uber eats for takeout instead of delivery. The sunk cost has me hooked now - I still suspect neither will work at this time but I just can't seem to get them to say that in English words.

strife Jun 25, 2019 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Segments (Post 31221311)

Gold level members have access to the Priority Support team directly. Anyone using UberBlack has access to Premium Support team for 24 hours after trip completion.

I am Uber Platinum and have never gotten the Priority Support Team on initial contact. In fact it usually takes threatening never to use Uber again or requesting my account be closed in order to reach the Priority Support Team. Then the Priority Support Team resolves my issue immediately. It is such an unpleasant farce.

compddd Jun 26, 2019 10:50 am

I have plat and Schwab plat and only use the Uber benefit for Uber eats, about two months ago only $15 would show in UberEats but $30 would show in the Uber app, nothing I did would fix the issue including deleting and re-adding my plat cards, uninstalling the app, etc. and Uber support was completely useless and incompetent. The only thing that eventually fixed it was me deleting my Uber account and making a new one. Very frustrating ordeal and made me loathe Uber.

angra Jun 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Why anyone would chose to do business with a company that treats its customers this way is beyond me. Just move on.

MaxVO Jun 27, 2019 12:21 am

Originally Posted by angra (Post 31243185)
Why anyone would chose to do business with a company that treats its customers this way is beyond me. Just move on.

That's not the choice presented to this thread's participants. AmEx Platinum has bundled quite a few benefits, and charges a huge AF for the package. It's not possible to unbundle this package. So the choices are actually as follows:
1). Not get the personal PT card, and have no issues with Uber;
2). Get the PT card, and try to recover the sunk cost by using all or most of advertised benefits; or
3). Keep the card, ignore the wasted AF, and not deal with unsavory subcontractors like Uber. This option still allows the use of remaining benefits, but those can possibly be obtained for less with a different CC/bundle.

kennycrudup Jun 27, 2019 12:33 am

They do right by me.

gengar Jun 27, 2019 7:22 am

Believe me, I feel that way sometimes and I may very well just forego the Uber credit in the future if it is still such a hassle. Nevertheless, for those of us who do use rideshare services, this represents a direct loss of value and a loss of a promised benefit.

As @MaxVO mentioned, the simple reality is that the benefits offered by the AMEX Plat are bundled. No, I'm not going to cancel the card over this, because the reality is I'd keep the card just for Centurion Lounge access not to mention I get more value than the AF back every single time I book an FHR stay or an IAP flight.

But that's also why it's beyond ridiculous, for example, for others to suggest that if I'm not going to cancel my AMEX Plat then I shouldn't post my negative experiences in this thread. The whole point of this forum is to share experiences including negative experiences - in the case of the latter, first and foremost to help each other get these problems resolved, but also so that people know that problems exist, and hopefully know how to fix those problems should they continue to happen or at least make the right decisions about the product.

angra Jun 27, 2019 7:22 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO (Post 31244183)
That's not the choice presented to this thread's participants. .

You're right, and I expressed my thoughts poorly. My intent was not to cast shade on folks who are battling to get value but rather just an expression of my frustration with how Uber treats its customers. I would love it if there is a way to extract value from them via our benefit without actually giving them any money.

LightTraveller Jun 27, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Racky (Post 31237373)
Today, I tried to ride from SFO. The fee showed $15.69. But when i tried to order by using my $15.00 Uber Credit, the app just wouldn't let me request the ride. It just went back to the first screen. I guess because my Uber Credit was not enough to cover the whole trip, and it wouldn't let me charge the balance to my credit card. I finally just used other transportation. That's it , I am done with Uber. I just use the credit for Uber Eats and forget about the ride anymore.

Just encountered this today. It was highly annoying to say the least. The app provided no warning or error message, but would keep kicking me between requesting pick up and confirming pick up location. Finally, I "figured it out" by requesting the car on a credit card and attempting to switch the payment method to Uber cash, only to be told that I cannot apply Uber cash as I have insufficient funds.

This new inability to use the AmEx credit to offset part of a ride is ridiculous. To make matters worse is that Uber cash now seemingly has to be added in $25 increments. I do not expect anything to change from AE or Uber, and expect this will be the new norm, but I am at least logging my dissatisfaction with AmEx on this issue.

margarita girl Jun 27, 2019 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by LightTraveller (Post 31246485)
Just encountered this today. It was highly annoying to say the least. The app provided no warning or error message, but would keep kicking me between requesting pick up and confirming pick up location. Finally, I "figured it out" by requesting the car on a credit card and attempting to switch the payment method to Uber cash, only to be told that I cannot apply Uber cash as I have insufficient funds.

This new inability to use the AmEx credit to offset part of a ride is ridiculous. To make matters worse is that Uber cash now seemingly has to be added in $25 increments. I do not expect anything to change from AE or Uber, and expect this will be the new norm, but I am at least logging my dissatisfaction with AmEx on this issue.

See post # 1023 for the procedure Uber gave me to use Uber cash. Doesn’t sound like it worked for you!

LightTraveller Jun 28, 2019 12:56 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 31247422)
See post # 1023 for the procedure Uber gave me to use Uber cash. Doesn’t sound like it worked for you!

Yeah, that procedure does not work on my app (Android, latest update Jun 18, 2019). For recap for others reading this, the post 1023 procedure is pasted below. Maybe the iOS or other apps still allow partial payment with uber cash, but my app does not warn me that my uber cash is low. It just cycles between destination and pick up screens if I have Uber Cash selected and an insufficient balance. Also, it does not allow me to add a necessary amount of uber cash to cover. My app requires that I purchase in $25 increments. I find it fairly ridiculous I had to buy $25 in Uber Cash to cover the $2 I was short today.

When you want to use your Uber Cash balance on a trip, you’ll need to select it as a payment method before requesting the ride.

To do this:

1. Enter your destination
2. Tap on your payment method above “Confirm”
3. Tap "Change" under “Profile and Payment” if you’ve setup a profile
4. Select "Uber Cash"

When Uber Cash is your payment method, you’ll be asked to refill your Uber Cash balance to pay for rides if your balance is below the estimated price of your trip. You can purchase just enough to cover your ride, or you can purchase a set amount of Uber Cash and receive a discount on the purchase.