FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

mia Apr 2, 2018 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Finance_underling (Post 29593398)
I...Sapphire Reserve completely changed the AMEX Platinum strategy. ...the discontinued Mercedes Platinum card several times. There's a real counterpoint....

I think there is confusion because you have some unstated insight into American Express's Platinum marketing strategy -and- the specific reasons that the Mercedes co-branded cards are being discontinued. Perhaps you could summarize what you know , and how you know it?

Finance_underling Apr 2, 2018 10:08 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29593468)
I think there is confusion because you have some unstated insight into American Express's Platinum marketing strategy -and- the specific reasons that the Mercedes co-branded cards are being discontinued. Perhaps you could summarize what you know , and how you know it?

I'm just putting 2 + 2 together. I don't think it's farfetched to say that the new Platinum card was a direct response to Sapphire Reserve and it's significant and unexpected millenial adoption. The trend is that younger people prefer ride-sharing options over owning a car (though probably not in gooselee's world since his employees drive Toyotas, Mercedes, etc.). While I don't have firsthand knowledge that AMEX is going after this demographic, I believe it's very likely they are and they view Chase as a serious competitor (both present and future).

I'm not sure what you mean by "unstated insight" into the AMEX marketing strategy. The Uber credit was highly marketed as one its key perks. I believe that this is one indication that AMEX is preparing for a tech/sharing economy. You think the Uber credit will be eliminated and the AF just remains at 550 at year-end and things revert to status-quo -- like removing the companion ticket benefit 10 years ago. Perhaps you could summarize what you know, and how you know it?

gooselee Apr 2, 2018 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Finance_underling (Post 29593398)
I was just responding to your rant about your younger employees/co-workers and how you like to pay them well because they're skilled. What I'm saying about AMEX and their Uber credit is actually relevant to the topic.

You're not reading the posts thoroughly, nor are you thinking about the context. If you did either, you wouldn't conveniently ignore the fact that the Sapphire Reserve completely changed the AMEX Platinum strategy. If you actually did read back, then you would have read that I mentioned "affluent millenials" as the AMEX Platinum target group. What I'm saying (which you then supported yourself) is that AMEX believes that I am a minority and that the benefits of the card will continue to diverge from my needs. Thus, I mentioned the discontinued Mercedes Platinum card several times. There's a real counterpoint.

I will stand by my argument that AMEX will not remove the Uber credit, nor will they keep the AF at 550 if they do without a viable substitute. I have no clue what you're trying to argue. That (1) your millenial employees are competent and drive cars. Therefore (2a) you pay them well for their work and (2b) the trend for millenials is to own cars than rely on Uber? Try to make the connection back to the topic. And provide some "evidence" that doesn't involve your well-paid employees who drive Toyotas...even Mercedes.

My goodness.

Here was my original argument, which I believe to be quite relevant to the conversation re: what might happen to the Uber credit and, in turn, what might happen with the AF for the Plat Amex and/or other benefits of the card:

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 29589173)
Amex will weigh the cost of the Uber partnership vs. the cost of lost business if they let it go. They of course know exactly how many people use it, to what extent, and how the benefit did or did not influence new sign ups and/or retention.

Just because a few of us on FT don't like whatever decision they end up making doesn't mean it's not a good business decision.

My guess is that they have enough customers who are either sticky to the brand or will simply remain due to inertia that dropping the benefit, not changing the AF, and not immediately adding a new benefit is a very likely outcome.

And here was your direct response to my post, in which you quoted me and bolded my middle paragraph.

Originally Posted by Finance_underling (Post 29591858)
The new Plat card targeted millenials who likely won't drive cars (Mercedes Platinum card anyone?). They do not post on FT either. It's not only the cost of lost business, but also future business. Eliminating the benefit would not be a good business decision in the Sapphire Reserve era.

You raised the issue of millenials, who does and doesn't drive cars, and a still-not-clearly-explained reference to the M-B Platinum card without really stating a clear line of reasoning or conclusion. Then we had a very confusing and roundabout exchange in which we both eventually got back to our primary arguments:
- You would like to count on a series of tangential assumptions and "very likely" beliefs about Amex marketing, the Chase Reserve, and millenials to draw the conclusion that Amex will not end the Uber credit, or if they do, they will either add a substitute benefit or lower the AF.
- I would like to count on a single common-sense assumption that Amex collects, maintains, and analyzes its own product data in order to make good business decisions to draw the conclusion that Amex will make what it believes to be the best business decision for itself, regardless of whether random people on an internet message board like it or not.

As you said, we can reconvene in December.

And, BTW, my "even Mercedes" comment was mostly in jest. I appreciate their vehicles and am happy that you own one. Personally, I can't stand their design style. But that's for another day and another forum.

yugi Apr 2, 2018 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Finagler (Post 29373475)
Just an update: I force closed the Uber app and then reopened it, and both my Amex credit and other Uber credits are now showing up. FYI: I am using iOS 11.2.2 on an iPhone X.

It's a long term bug of Uber app. It had it for ages. I was complaining to support, but then figured out how to get my credits back. Close the app, then reopen it again, and credit will appear.

Finance_underling Apr 3, 2018 9:41 am

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 29593775)
You raised the issue of millenials, who does and doesn't drive cars, and a still-not-clearly-explained reference to the M-B Platinum card without really stating a clear line of reasoning or conclusion. Then we had a very confusing and roundabout exchange in which we both eventually got back to our primary arguments:
- You would like to count on a series of tangential assumptions and "very likely" beliefs about Amex marketing, the Chase Reserve, and millenials to draw the conclusion that Amex will not end the Uber credit, or if they do, they will either add a substitute benefit or lower the AF.
- I would like to count on a single common-sense assumption that Amex collects, maintains, and analyzes its own product data in order to make good business decisions to draw the conclusion that Amex will make what it believes to be the best business decision for itself, regardless of whether random people on an internet message board like it or not.

As you said, we can reconvene in December.

And, BTW, my "even Mercedes" comment was mostly in jest. I appreciate their vehicles and am happy that you own one. Personally, I can't stand their design style. But that's for another day and another forum.

I'm glad you pay your staff well enough that they can afford a car like a Mercedes.

Waiting to see the result in December sounds fair.

matrixwalker2012 Apr 4, 2018 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Finance_underling (Post 29592143)
I'm a millenial who drives a Mercedes

And I’m a millennial who has never stayed in an AirBnB, doesn’t tweet, doesn’t do much social media, exploits the heck out of the benefits of my many credit cards, and holds top tier status with AA and Hilton. I guess I’m really a minority of my generation...

Finance_underling Apr 5, 2018 8:02 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012 (Post 29600773)

And I’m a millennial who has never stayed in an AirBnB, doesn’t tweet, doesn’t do much social media, exploits the heck out of the benefits of my many credit cards, and holds top tier status with AA and Hilton. I guess I’m really a minority of my generation...

Do you happen to drive a "Toyota, Tesla, or even a Mercedes"?

gooselee Apr 5, 2018 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Finance_underling (Post 29605570)
Do you happen to drive a "Toyota, Tesla, or even a Mercedes"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MK...utu.be&t=1m05s

tmorse6570 Apr 5, 2018 9:49 pm

I didn't use to use Uber every month, but now I usually think "I've got a credit, so why not" and have been using the service kind of regularly.

GarlicFlyer Apr 6, 2018 4:41 am

Is it confirmed that the Uber credit is only given when the ride is taken in the USA?

flyershmlyer Apr 6, 2018 5:35 am

The credit is given each month every month. It is applied to rides only in US.

Diplomatico Apr 6, 2018 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by GarlicFlyer (Post 29609123)
Is it confirmed that the Uber credit is only given when the ride is taken in the USA?

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer (Post 29609233)
The credit is given each month every month. It is applied to rides only in US.

What flyershmlyer said. I'm out of the US right now and while I have the AMEX Uber credits for April showing on my account, underneath it says "not available in your region."

holocker May 7, 2018 10:58 am

Uber Eats Credit with Platinum Card

Are people still getting their $15 credit when using Uber Eats this month? The credit did not show on my account and when I did a chat with AMEX they said it was not valid for Uber Eats but after going back and forth was told I would get a courtesy credit this time. Was also told the credit comes from Uber not AMEX.

If anyone has wording from AMEX that says it is good for Uber Eats can they please send me the link.
Thank You

mia May 7, 2018 11:29 am

Try this link:

https://online.americanexpress.com/u...ct=true#detail

Uber Rides with Platinum
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber's terms and conditions. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and UberEATS orders. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride or placing the UberEATS order. The discount will not apply to previous Uber transactions and cannot be used when paying with an UberFAMILY profile. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of transactions you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride transaction, points will be awarded on the balance after Credits are applied. Credit may only be applied within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM Hawaii Standard Time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the transaction is completed. If transaction is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your balance prior to this Credit. For purposes of fulfilling upon this benefit, American Express will share with Uber certain information about your card, including the card type, and updated Card information from time to time. If you do not wish to participate in this program, please call the number on the back of your Card

LightTraveller May 7, 2018 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by holocker (Post 29725752)
Are people still getting their $15 credit when using Uber Eats this month? The credit did not show on my account and when I did a chat with AMEX they said it was not valid for Uber Eats but after going back and forth was told I would get a courtesy credit this time. Was also told the credit comes from Uber not AMEX.

If anyone has wording from AMEX that says it is good for Uber Eats can they please send me the link.
Thank You

In addition to mia's post, the credit continues to show up on both Uber and UberEats for my account.

From personal experience, do not waste your time with the Chat feature on AmEx. Many of the Chat CSRs have no idea what they are doing. Every time I have called in with a issue, the phone CSR has resolved it during the call. Last time I used chat to ask about my missing Global Entry reimbursement, the Chat CSR kept quoting me the CBP processing time for a Global Entry application even after I repeatedly said that was not the issue...