FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Express | Membership Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards-410/)
-   -   USA personal Platinum Uber $200/year credit (2017-2019) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-express-membership-rewards/1832025-usa-personal-platinum-uber-200-year-credit-2017-2019-a.html)

Juanefny Apr 6, 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 28139481)
AFAIK, VIP just guarantees you a driver with a 4.8 rating or above.

The downside is that since there are fewer drivers with that rating, it can *sometimes* take you longer to get a ride. Not really an issue in high-traffic areas.

That's actually pretty awesome. Sometimes they give you drivers that are just plain awful and dont' have a clue where they are going.

chrisny2 Apr 7, 2017 10:56 am

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 28136098)
Doesn't appear to be the case any more. No VIP comes up for me in DC.

I have VIP in DC. I have to scroll through the options to the "More" list.

kennycrudup Apr 7, 2017 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny (Post 28139518)
Sometimes they give you drivers that are just plain awful and don't have a clue where they are going.

If a driver doesn't use a Nav app on a trip, I tell 'em I'm derating them if they don't fire it up. There's no excuse for not using the benefit of real-time traffic; "I know where I'm going" won't fly with me.

seawolf Apr 8, 2017 9:23 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup (Post 28144855)
If a driver doesn't use a Nav app on a trip, I tell 'em I'm derating them if they don't fire it up. There's no excuse for not using the benefit of real-time traffic; "I know where I'm going" won't fly with me.

Definitely no excuse not using GPS considering Uber app integration into google maps or waze. I don't think the driver even have to type the destination in.

michelle227 Apr 10, 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Westin. (Post 28106074)
Has anyone actually tried this in Uber eats yet?

The credit showed up in the account, but when I tried to order, I got a message that my Uber account was disabled.

I never had an Uber or UberEats account prior to the AXP change and had not used either account prior to this attempt. Not a happy camper right now...

hiima Apr 10, 2017 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by michelle227 (Post 28155390)
The credit showed up in the account, but when I tried to order, I got a message that my Uber account was disabled.

I never had an Uber or UberEats account prior to the AXP change and had not used either account prior to this attempt. Not a happy camper right now...

If Uber eats doesn't work, there's gonna be a lot of unhappy campers

michelle227 Apr 10, 2017 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by hiima (Post 28155441)
If Uber eats doesn't work, there's gonna be a lot of unhappy campers

This was to have been my first attempt to use either Uber OR UberEats...they show me as 'account disabled' and won't respond in any manner...I may wind up in the #deleteUber group for reasons other than the hashtag originally contemplated...

GiantCow Apr 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Didn't Uber exit the Austin market?

StatusChallenged Apr 10, 2017 1:09 pm

No UberEats credit for me on a $50 charge, which is fine since I'm traveling this week and will end up using Uber at least once or twice.

lotrbfme Apr 10, 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by StatusChallenged (Post 28155636)
No UberEats credit for me on a $50 charge, which is fine since I'm traveling this week and will end up using Uber at least once or twice.

I have used mine twice already. Last time it was yesterday.

michelle227 Apr 10, 2017 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow (Post 28155611)
Didn't Uber exit the Austin market?

they did...my attempt to use the app was not in Austin or Travis County

acarney Apr 10, 2017 7:21 pm

What's the catch with UberEATS? (And does this credit apply to that? There seems to be some mixed data points here...)

Do you pay per mile the distance between the restaurant and where you are PLUS the $4.99 fee, or is it just the $4.99 fee? (Of course the cost of food, but that's a give in :P)

I highly doubt I'll ever use Uber, I just don't use taxi's or ride sharing apps to begin with. I like light rail when the option is there or renting a car/booking a professional private car for airport transfers or something. That said, I totally can see myself wanting food delivered to my hotel at 9pm or something after a full day of doing stuff and if I can use my credit for that I totally would. Heck, if it's seriously just $4.99 I could see myself using that for dinner the night I fly in, breakfast the next morning, and maybe a late snack that night too just to use the credit up :P

Anyone know if Serious Pie in Seattle is part of UberEATS? Oh god that would be awesome :P

uneeq Apr 10, 2017 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 28157878)
What's the catch with UberEATS? (And does this credit apply to that? There seems to be some mixed data points here...)

Do you pay per mile the distance between the restaurant and where you are PLUS the $4.99 fee, or is it just the $4.99 fee? (Of course the cost of food, but that's a give in :P)

I highly doubt I'll ever use Uber, I just don't use taxi's or ride sharing apps to begin with. I like light rail when the option is there or renting a car/booking a professional private car for airport transfers or something. That said, I totally can see myself wanting food delivered to my hotel at 9pm or something after a full day of doing stuff and if I can use my credit for that I totally would. Heck, if it's seriously just $4.99 I could see myself using that for dinner the night I fly in, breakfast the next morning, and maybe a late snack that night too just to use the credit up :P

Anyone know if Serious Pie in Seattle is part of UberEATS? Oh god that would be awesome :P

For me, the menu prices are marked up 10% and UberEATS charges a $3.99 fee. Other than that, it's whatever you ordered + tax, no other charges.

gooselee Apr 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by uneeq (Post 28158086)
For me, the menu prices are marked up 10% and UberEATS charges a $3.99 fee. Other than that, it's whatever you ordered + tax, no other charges.

Interesting. Most places I go it's a 0%-5% markup (I assume the restaurant decides?) And a $4.99 delivery fee, plus tax.

Also, the entire charge goes through Uber. So if you buy $10.01 worth of food+tax and then add the $4.99 delivery fee, that will use your entire $15 credit in one order.

uneeq Apr 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee (Post 28158103)
Interesting. Most places I go it's a 0%-5% markup (I assume the restaurant decides?) And a $4.99 delivery fee, plus tax.

Also, the entire charge goes through Uber. So if you buy $10.01 worth of food+tax and then add the $4.99 delivery fee, that will use your entire $15 credit in one order.

Not sure what or who decides the mark up, but I've only tested/tried a couple of orders. Amazon PrimeNow will send me food with no mark up and $0 delivery fee, so I only use UberEATS on a place not on Amazon.