Marriott no longer matching SPG Gold via Amex Plat?

Old Mar 7, 17, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Marriott no longer matching SPG Gold via Amex Plat?

I was Silver with Marriott, but upgraded to Gold based on the Marriott/SPG merger and status match. (I don't stay with SPG, I only have Gold because of the Amex Platinum card).

My Marriott status got downgraded to Silver a week or so ago, but I was told at that time it was a timing difference between Marriott and SPG for their annual status reviews.

I called again today and the Marriott customer service rep called SPG to confirm my Gold status, but then spoke to her supervisor about upgrading me back to gold. The supervisor said that Marriott is no longer matching SPG Gold status if it was earned through a promotion or as a credit card benefit.
Old Mar 7, 17, 7:59 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
My Marriott account still shows Gold. I would have Silver status if it were not for the SPG match.
Old Mar 7, 17, 8:10 am

Wow, if this is true that is very alarming, and is a further hit the AMEX Plat. Right now for me, the biggest reason I keep the AMEX Plat is for Delta Lounges, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, and National Emerald Executive. If they start taking away hotel benefits, in conjunction with the increase in the AF, then for me there is simply no reason to keep the card.
Old Mar 7, 17, 8:11 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by marcdc View Post
Wow, if this is true ... If they start taking away ...
Has your Marriott status changed?
Old Mar 7, 17, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Has your Marriott status changed?
My Status is still Gold. But I became Gold like a day or two after they announced that they are status matching with SPG Gold (and vice versa). So while they didn't take my status away, I'm not sure what's going to happen when my status expires and I need to "rematch" with the SPG level.
Old Mar 7, 17, 8:25 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimboski93 View Post
I called again today and the Marriott customer service rep called SPG to confirm my Gold status, but then spoke to her supervisor about upgrading me back to gold. The supervisor said that Marriott is no longer matching SPG Gold status if it was earned through a promotion or as a credit card benefit.
In my past experience, Marriott Rewards' customer service was far weaker compared to SPG, and I was often given incorrect or inconsistent information, so I wouldn't rely too much on this one call. Can you try calling again and see if you get the same answer?
Old Mar 7, 17, 8:25 am

Programs: Skyteam Elite+, VS Red, HHonours Diamond, Accor Plat
Data point - My SPG Gold was via Amex Plat and not stays. Marriott account linked and upgraded to Gold via the automatic match. It's still Gold.

Qualifying Activity
The date of your last qualifying activity was 10/02/16.
Your account will remain active and points won’t expire as long as you stay or use some of your points by 10/02/18.
I cannot see any expiriation date for Marriott Gold. On the status page it simply says

Your Marriott Rewards® and SPG® accounts are linked. View your SPG account.
If I follow the link, under my SPG Gold it says

Gold Preferred Guest (My Benefits)
Marriott Rewards® Member • Earning with Uber
I wonder if the OPs account has become unlinked somehow?
Old Mar 7, 17, 9:58 am

Hi everyone, I haven't link my account yet, I am Gold with SPG and Gold with Marriot, but expiring in April.

Is there pros and cons to link now to remain Gold, or let it expire in April, than Link later to give my Marriot gold a longer life assume Marriot still matching the SPG Amex Gold.
Old Mar 7, 17, 10:41 am

I'm still gold from status matching shortly after it was available. I'll be keeping an eye on this though, since I have a hotel stay booked in May based on that status which I'll switch to Sheraton or Hilton if it drops off...
Old Mar 7, 17, 10:49 am

I was matched via Amex as well.
Will keep an eye on this.
Old Mar 7, 17, 11:07 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jimboski93 View Post
The supervisor said that Marriott is no longer matching SPG Gold status if it was earned through a promotion or as a credit card benefit.
Looking through the T&Cs, only "temporary promotional status" is mentioned as an exclusion (which seems to refer to status matches/challenges where status is given for less than the full membership year/period, pending the completion of some stay challenge), not credit card obtained status. Excluding status obtained via a credit card would affect not just AMEX Plat holders, but possibly also Amex SPG cardholders who have gold via spend, and Ritz Carlton Visa holders who get MR Gold for the first year (and in subsequent years via spend).

"Temporary Promotional Status Benefits. In the event that a Linked Member has received a temporary promotional status upgrade in connection with a Program (for example, Rewards’ “Taste of Gold” promotion), the promotional status upgrade will not be considered when determining matched status pursuant to these Terms and Conditions."
Old Mar 7, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
I just checked and my status is still Gold (achieved from Amex -> SPG -> Marriott). But I only got the card a month ago so this "annual review" OP talks about might not have come up for me yet.
Old Mar 7, 17, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Originally Posted by marcdc View Post
Wow, if this is true that is very alarming, and is a further hit the AMEX Plat. Right now for me, the biggest reason I keep the AMEX Plat is for Delta Lounges, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, and National Emerald Executive. If they start taking away hotel benefits, in conjunction with the increase in the AF, then for me there is simply no reason to keep the card.
But didn't you have the AMEX PLAT card before you got Marriott Gold? So the Marriott Gold it was a "free" status for you for a card you already had. If they take away that "free" status it is not like you were worse off from when you originally got the card.
Old Mar 7, 17, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
The bigger picture is that it implies that Marriott may not be willing to work with Amex after the SPG merger is complete, or they are working on a plan to match SPG Gold with a different tier.

Last edited by Gig103; Mar 7, 17 at 6:40 pm
Old Mar 7, 17, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta PLAT, Marriot Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, A couple of other airlines - pee on
Originally Posted by Gig103 View Post
The bigger picture is that it implies that Marriott may not be willing to work with Amex after the SPG merger is complete, or they are working on a plan to match SPG Gold with a different tier.
To me, SPG gold Is way better ranking than Marriott silver. It may be that they are planning to reduce AMEX Plat card to give Marriott Silver similar to the Chase Marriott card.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: