Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott no longer matching SPG Gold via Amex Plat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by jimboski93
It would appear that
You over reacted.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
You over reacted.
If you'd like to clarify, at what point is posting on FlyerTalk about a phone agent describing a massive shift in policy an overreaction? It didn't seem, at least to me, like OP was definitively stating a new policy, he made sure to qualify that he was describing what he was told by an agent of Marriott. Poor employee training is hardly OP's fault.

On a related note, I was bumped down to silver and had to spend about an hour on the phone total sorting it out. I probably wouldn't have even checked my Marriott status had I not been notified because of this thread.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 1:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mhdena
You over reacted.
What overreaction? When an agent of a company/organization in their working capacity provides adverse information/misinformation to consumers, should consumers just bite their tongue and say nothing about it?
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks to Oformula and GUWonder.

I titled this thread with a ? and I pointed out that the info I received from Marriott seemed questionable.

As we've learned, no, Marriott is not changing their program.
I was upgraded back to gold today and consider this topic closed.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:26 pm

On a related note, if you get Marriott Gold status through the Amex Platinum card, how many nights do you have to go to hit Marriott Platinum? Since you're Gold via Amex Platinum, are you effectively at 50 nights (i.e., 25 nights away) or 0 nights (i.e., 75 nights away)?

Put another way, can you stack the Amex Platinum with the Chase Marriott to get to 65 nights, so that you only have 10 nights to go to Platinum?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:36 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Bobberjet
... Since you're Gold via Amex Platinum, are you effectively at 50 nights?
No, you have Gold status with zero nights.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
My status is still gold. I got the Marriot card after you posted this and linked accounts and it automatically upgraded me to gold.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I received my Platinum Charge Card yesterday and upgraded my SPG account then. Today I was able to match my Marriott Rewards account for an upgrade to Gold too.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
I received my Platinum Charge Card yesterday and upgraded my SPG account then. Today I was able to match my Marriott Rewards account for an upgrade to Gold too.
I received my Platinum card and my SPG Gold status from the card. I called Marriott today to match and they absolutely refused. In fact, the rep was pretty rude to me about it.

Is there another way to go about getting this match besides calling Marriott cust. support?
Old May 9, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by AggieZig
I received my Platinum card and my SPG Gold status from the card. I called Marriott today to match and they absolutely refused. In fact, the rep was pretty rude to me about it.

Is there another way to go about getting this match besides calling Marriott cust. support?
It just happened automatically for me. Took a few days for the match to flow through, but it showed up eventually.
Old May 9, 2017, 1:33 pm

It just happened automatically for me. Took a few days for the match to flow through, but it showed up eventually.
I agree. The reps probably don't do it manually and have no idea what we're talking about (although they still shouldn't be rude of course). If your SPG account is showing as Gold, and they are properly linked, I think your Marriott status will adjust to Gold within a few days.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by AggieZig

I did mine via Starwood website and bypassed the possibly rude CSR.

Can't find the Starwood link but this Marriott one should work.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott-rew...my-accounts.mi
Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:55 am

Does anyone know if Gold status (SPG & Marriott) through AMEX platinum is daily checked against your holding AMEX platinum? Or is it only checked on anniversary of initial Gold status matching?

In other words, if I did the Gold status match last Nov, and I cancel my AMEX platinum today (June), do I keep the SPG & Marriott Gold status to Nov or lose them right away (June/July)?
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DelAbbot
Does anyone know if Gold status (SPG & Marriott) through AMEX platinum is daily checked against your holding AMEX platinum? Or is it only checked on anniversary of initial Gold status matching?

In other words, if I did the Gold status match last Nov, and I cancel my AMEX platinum today (June), do I keep the SPG & Marriott Gold status to Nov or lose them right away (June/July)?
Once Starwood grants you Gold status based on Amex, it lasts until the end of the Starwood elite membership year period even if you cancel your Amex a few days after Starwood upgrades your SPG account based on the Amex Platinum card.

And a completed Marriott status match based on SPG status won't get pulled because of an Amex card cancellation.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
On a related note, if you get Marriott Gold status through the Amex Platinum card, how many nights do you have to go to hit Marriott Platinum? Since you're Gold via Amex Platinum, are you effectively at 50 nights (i.e., 25 nights away) or 0 nights (i.e., 75 nights away)?

Put another way, can you stack the Amex Platinum with the Chase Marriott to get to 65 nights, so that you only have 10 nights to go to Platinum?
I did the Platinum Challenge in 9 one-night stays (within either 60 or 90 days, I forget which).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.