Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Plat UK travel insurance questions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:12 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
From a quick Google of First Direct it looks like you’re in the UK?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by tonei
From a quick Google of First Direct it looks like you’re in the UK?
I am indeed.

Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tonei
....you’re in the UK?
Originally Posted by RockyRobin

I am indeed.

This matters because American Express issues cards in scores of countries, and the benefits are different. I have moved your question into a thread discussing the UK travel insurance benefit. Here is a link to the benefits document:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...umentation.pdf

“Insured” means (i) Cardmembers and their Families, (ii)
Supplementary Cardmembers and their Families and (iii)
grandchildren of the Cardmember or a Supplementary
Cardmember who are under the age of 25 and travelling with
anyone insured under the Card Account.
Family” means Your partner or spouse, living at the same address
as You, and Your Children.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by mia
This matters because American Express issues cards in scores of countries, and the benefits are different. I have moved your question into a thread discussing the UK travel insurance benefit. Here is a link to the benefits document:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cont...umentation.pdf
Thanks for your help.

i had read that document but I wasn't clear if it applied to the partner if they were travelling alone. I understand it had to be booked on the card.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:07 am
mia

The way I read it is that your partner, who will likely also be a supplementary cardholder, will be an Insured Person. No doubt someone will come along to confirm or deny based on direct experience.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mia
The way I read it is that your partner, who will likely also be a supplementary cardholder, will be an Insured Person. No doubt someone will come along to confirm or deny based on direct experience.
iirc you need to pay for the supplementary card so I'm not planning to get her one
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:39 pm
mia

iirc you need to pay for the supplementary card so I'm not planning to get her one
In the UK there is no additional cost for up to five supplementary cards.

Extend your benefits to those closest to you and earn points for their purchases with up to five complimentary Supplementary Cards (one Platinum and a combination of four Gold or Green Cards).
https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/c...latinumCard-fc
Old Feb 21, 2019, 3:36 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You absolutely must get her a supplementary Platinum card.... as she'll then get her own Priority Pass card! So, if you're every travelling together with another couple, you both can take a guest free-of-charge.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
You absolutely must get her a supplementary Platinum card.... as she'll then get her own Priority Pass card! So, if you're every travelling together with another couple, you both can take a guest free-of-charge.
Absolutely! I've spotted that; I received my card yesterday and last night the first thing I did was order her a card. At outstations the third party lounges look better than the BA options. E.g. I was at Edinburgh yesterday and I ask my brother what breakfast they had and he described a rather nice sounding hot breakfast. He then said oh but you'll be in BA...

He was off to Paris for the rugby and I was going to London for work, I wasn't jealous stood at gate 6 watching them 15 metres away in All Bar One.

Some research does need to be done on the travel insurance as the reward points for booking with Platinum are lower than the BA card and you have to use the travel centre.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:45 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Some research does need to be done on the travel insurance as the reward points for booking with Platinum are lower than the BA card and you have to use the travel centre.
Whilst I’m not sure of your exact needs I had similar questions when I signed up. I called AMEX and got the following information.

For general travel insurance that I previously bought separately (health coverage, cancellations, etc.) your card benefit covers you whether you purchase on the card.

For baggage delay cover, additional car hire insurance and others which go beyond normal cover, you need to have bought the flights / car hire on your card.

All this is as I understand it and I’m happy to be corrected.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 8:43 am

Thank you DaveNCL interesting.

A bit of a quandary as the BA card gives more points than the Platinum. oh well first world problem etc
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Not sure what you mean by the above. You can use your platinum card to book travel anyway and still be covered.

PS... Check your offers on the Amex site. You may have the £200 credit for £600 spend. You do need to use the Amex travel for that one, but it's a great offer.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 5:15 am

Thanks I will look for the offer

I thought I had read that you had to book through Amex Travel to get some elements of the benefits. Maybe that's just for the offers around the Finest Collection hotels or whatever it is called.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: BA GGL/GfL; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Ambassador; IHG Diamond;
Postponement vs cancellation coverage?

Hi folks, has anyone used the trip postponement insurance via Amex? I am having to decide between cancelling or postponing a trip due to illness, but am getting conflicting messages from AXA.

Agent I spoke to on the phone indicated that change fees for postponement would be covered only if they were no greater than the cost of cancellation. Needless to say, trying to postpone a restricted flight booking booked several months in advance at the last minute for a couple weeks later, is quite expensive (and significantly more than what I paid for the ticket originally).

However, I don’t see any such limitation in the insurance documentation - anyone have any experience with this?
Old Sep 11, 2019, 9:40 am
mia

Perhaps cardholders have access to a more complete document, but I see only this paragraph:

You will be covered for the following:
Up to £7,500 for Your unused travel, accommodation, excursions
and leisure activities that have been Purchased on the Card
Account, which are non-refundable or any fee You are charged to
change them if You cancel, postpone, change or abandon Your
Trip, due to:
I read this to mean that the policy reimburses amounts you have already paid, less refunds, but not any new expenses that you incur, aside from change or cancellation fees. In other words, they will not reimburse the cost of rescheduling to the extent that it is a "fare difference" rather than a "fee".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.