Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2018, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by acarney
Exactly, once SPG/Marriott essentially becomes a "silver" status (yes I know it's gold, but it's watered down a lot from the gold of right now) I think Amex is going to need to do something else, either bring in a new benefit, a new hotel partner, or up it's Hilton status... (or maybe this will all be for not and the Amex won't actually dump us into the "new" Marriott gold...)

Uber is just... it doesn't feel like a benefit, it feels like a marketing partnership. Like a discount on a rental car or something, kinda like the Silver Car VISA Infinite benefit. It might get people using Uber and kicks a little off the cost, but it isn't really getting you anything special. Want a real "Ground Transportation" benefit or something, let me charge a private sedan airport transfer and get up to $200 off like a normal travel credit. Let me rent a Silver Car and get up to $200 off. Let me us Uber, Lyft, taxi, etc and credit back up to $200. That is a perk and benefit that these level cards should have, not a little monthly discount.

It'll be very very interesting to see what Amex does in the next 6 months to a year. The annual fee will really be solid with people by that time and the benefits for Marriott will be washed down the drain. However, they might not do a dang thing since the Chinese market will jump all over the high end Amex cards and they'll probably see strong growth from that...
I called amex to complain about the SPG/marriott devaluation and to see if they were going to bring in another benefit. Obviously, they didnt tell me anything but the rep I spoke with did say that they have received alot of complaints. Its really hard to justify paying such a high annual fee when the card is losing benefits to the point where the Plat is really not much better than other comparable cards on the market. I dont think they are going to consider doing anything until people complain/threaten to close cards. I encourage everyone to call/ get on live chat/email to let them know your comments and concerns. It only takes a few minutes.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:14 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
I don't think new Marriott Gold will prove to be a reduced benefit versus Starwood Gold. Marriott made an error when they matched SPG Gold to Marriott Gold rather than to Marriott Silver. That's not American Express' responsibility. We enjoyed a temporary upgrade.

Originally Posted by a_hm156
... I dont think they are going to consider doing anything until people complain/threaten to close cards......
It is apparent that American Express continuously "considers" product changes, but the only way for an individual consumer to impact the decision making process is to actually cancel. Don't bluff, don't be bought off with a retention offer, just cancel.
Old May 27, 2018, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I don't think new Marriott Gold will prove to be a reduced benefit versus Starwood Gold. Marriott made an error when they matched SPG Gold to Marriott Gold rather than to Marriott Silver. That's not American Express' responsibility. We enjoyed a temporary upgrade.

It is apparent that American Express continuously "considers" product changes, but the only way for an individual consumer to impact the decision making process is to actually cancel. Don't bluff, don't be bought off with a retention offer, just cancel.
Except it’s a guaranteed 4pm late check out with SPG and with Marriott it’s a 2pm late check out, and that’s even subject to availability... how often might we hear “oh, the hotel is packed today so we can’t offer that” when really it isn’t as busy as they’re saying... At least now if we hear that we can kinda ..... saying it’s “guaranteed late check out”.

It’s not huge, but certainly noticeable for those that use it and is a downgrade from current SPG Gold... fairly close after charging us MORE for the Amex. That plus the point earning is a downgrade from current Marriot matched gold... which sure, maybe we got lucky for awhile but taking those away is going to make it feel like we’re losing more, even if we shouldn’t have had it in the first place.

Just are MR points and lounge access and Uber AND $100 more AF worth more then Hilton Diamond and $250 aid credit, free weekend night, and $250 resort credit all for $450? What’s making the Platinum stand out any more?
Old May 27, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Except it’s a guaranteed 4pm late check out with SPG and with Marriott it’s a 2pm late check out, and that’s even subject to availability... how often might we hear “oh, the hotel is packed today so we can’t offer that” when really it isn’t as busy as they’re saying... At least now if we hear that we can kinda ..... saying it’s “guaranteed late check out”.
Just wanted to thank you for this data point. I've been thinking the same as mia, that the match to MR Gold was an overvaluation (and a temporary boost), but as I'm not much an SPG user I didn't realize there was late checkout guaranteed. I can say based on my experience with FHR, I do often take advantage of that perk.
Old May 27, 2018, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just are MR points and lounge access and Uber AND $100 more AF worth more then Hilton Diamond and $250 aid credit, free weekend night, and $250 resort credit all for $450? What’s making the Platinum stand out any more?
like anything it depends on your usage pattern. I highly value Centurion and Delta lounge access from the Plat, so for me viewing the Aspire card as a substitute is simply a non starter. Not saying the Aspire is a poor card, I think it's a very solid value proposition, but I don't see it replacing the Platinum card for many cardholders. I'll probably get the Aspire at some point since I am already mostly a Hilton guy. I just wish they'd offer a better sign up bonus relative to the lower cards but that is veering off topic.
Old May 27, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
like anything it depends on your usage pattern. I highly value Centurion and Delta lounge access from the Plat, so for me viewing the Aspire card as a substitute is simply a non starter. Not saying the Aspire is a poor card, I think it's a very solid value proposition, but I don't see it replacing the Platinum card for many cardholders. I'll probably get the Aspire at some point since I am already mostly a Hilton guy. I just wish they'd offer a better sign up bonus relative to the lower cards but that is veering off topic.
The Aspire is definitely interesting. Hilton's basically handing away their top tier status to anyone holding the card, with not even so much as a spending requirement to get it. So while it's not a devaluation from the perspective of the Amex Plat, what Amex did was they created a tier above the Plat with respect to Hilton. Any chance we see something like this for Marriott? Who knows. Amex did just release a new SPG card although at the moment, it only gives Gold, but to compete with Hilton, their top card would have to be giving Plat status. Of course, for anyone holding THOSE cards, the reason for holding the Amex Plat would be decreased.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old May 28, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by STS-134
The Aspire is definitely interesting. Hilton's basically handing away their top tier status to anyone holding the card, with not even so much as a spending requirement to get it. So while it's not a devaluation from the perspective of the Amex Plat, what Amex did was they created a tier above the Plat with respect to Hilton. Any chance we see something like this for Marriott? Who knows. Amex did just release a new SPG card although at the moment, it only gives Gold, but to compete with Hilton, their top card would have to be giving Plat status. Of course, for anyone holding THOSE cards, the reason for holding the Amex Plat would be decreased.
I think the calculation to determine what's your card is a lot more complicated than who gives out the highest status.

If you only stay a few times a year at mid- to high end hotels, and don't have or care about loyalty or points, then the Aspire could make sense. Although to be honest, I'm still not quite sure if there 's a huge difference between Gold and Diamond other than executive club access since both give you breakfast. If you prefer luxury hotels, the Amex FHR would give you the same and not tie you to a single chain.

If you care about the value of points, and stay ~50 nights a year, then it's much better concentrate your my stays to earn Plat on Marriott/SPG or Glob on Hyatt. They give far better treatment than Hilton Diamond and their points are more valuable.
Old May 28, 2018, 9:49 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SP03
I think the calculation to determine what's your card is a lot more complicated than who gives out the highest status.

If you only stay a few times a year at mid- to high end hotels, and don't have or care about loyalty or points, then the Aspire could make sense. Although to be honest, I'm still not quite sure if there 's a huge difference between Gold and Diamond other than executive club access since both give you breakfast. If you prefer luxury hotels, the Amex FHR would give you the same and not tie you to a single chain.

If you care about the value of points, and stay ~50 nights a year, then it's much better concentrate your my stays to earn Plat on Marriott/SPG or Glob on Hyatt. They give far better treatment than Hilton Diamond and their points are more valuable.
Clearly YMMV and different people have different prospectives.

FHR rates cost a LOT more than the typical Hilton (or Marriott or Ren or Sheraton or Westin).

It will be interesting to see what customer recognition is like in the new Marriott+Starwood program. I always found Starwood great and you are probably right that it was easier to earn a free night at Starwood than at Hilton. But, I always found Marriott lacking in recognition as it seemed they thought of ways to weasel out of benefits - like no free breakfast at Courtyards and certain Marriotts.
Old May 29, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
I expect nothing to be done with the SPG/Marriot devaluation. The lounge/breakfast benefit with Marriot was just due to the merger. It sucks though since now the Platinum card will be devalued once again, but I can't see them bumping it to Marriot/SPG platinum status since the new SPG Luxury card only comes with Gold. I'm not sure what else the Platinum card can add besides that. I keep hoping for a dining spending bonus, but Amex seems to keep wanting to add benefits rather than giving people a reason to actually spend on the card.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by zorbachs
I expect nothing to be done with the SPG/Marriot devaluation. The lounge/breakfast benefit with Marriot was just due to the merger. It sucks though since now the Platinum card will be devalued once again, but I can't see them bumping it to Marriot/SPG platinum status since the new SPG Luxury card only comes with Gold. I'm not sure what else the Platinum card can add besides that. I keep hoping for a dining spending bonus, but Amex seems to keep wanting to add benefits rather than giving people a reason to actually spend on the card.
It could potentially add status with spending threshold. Most benefits for PLAT are given for having the card. So in theory, they could offer more limited benefit to select few based on spending similar to what most cobrand cards are already doing.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by SP03

In my case, the real big benefit from having Hilton Diamond over Gold is the fact that in most cases, when arriving at destination very early in the morning, I almost always have instant access to a room. This is very important when arriving in Europe and it is the main reason I try to keep Diamond status with Hilton.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:03 am

Good to see more perks on the card. However, the one thing I really want is something more than 1x Dining. These perks do nothing to help boost the profile of the Platinum card, IMO, as I have no incentive to regularly use it in public over another card.

All in all, I get my money's worth from the card when buying things at home, but the physical card just stays hidden in my wallet most of the time.
Gig103 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by LightTraveller
Good to see more perks on the card. However, the one thing I really want is something more than 1x Dining. These perks do nothing to help boost the profile of the Platinum card, IMO, as I have no incentive to regularly use it in public over another card.

All in all, I get my money's worth from the card when buying things at home, but the physical card just stays hidden in my wallet most of the time.
Agreed. This card still isn't as powerful for travel as the CSR. I use that pretty much 100% of the time for flights, hotels, and dining. The Amex does seem pretty powerful for buying items though with it's newly announced purchase protection adjustments, 120 days now (instead of 90) purchase protections from damage/theft and the warranty (extra 2 years on items that come with a 2 to 5 years warranty) seems really nice, that said, to be honest, I haven't had many items actually break in the first couple years if they're fairly expense and come with long warranties to begin with...

I would kill for 5x on direct hotel bookings and even just 3x on dining (though 5x would be amazing)... but just us alone probably would bankrupt Amex if they kept the points worth the same and upped the bonus earning :P
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:57 pm

Would definitely be nice to AT LEAST match the AMEX Gold card with the 2x on Restaurants...would rather not carry BOTH cards everyday
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by lax01
Would definitely be nice to AT LEAST match the AMEX Gold card with the 2x on Restaurants...would rather not carry BOTH cards everyday
You can use Amex BBP for 2x anywhere, not just restaurants.
lax01 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.