Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
No, you're not missing anything. The Platinum is a glorified membership card. It's only two uses are airfare purchases and getting into SkyClubs and Centurion Lounges. I've maybe put $200 of non-airfare purchases on it in a year and that was mostly on accident where it was my default payment method for something and I forgot to change it to a more useful card.
Maybe those two uses are only for you, but I literally save thousands of dollars per year with IAP and FHR.

As with all things, YMMV.
gooselee likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Statman
Maybe those two uses are only for you, but I literally save thousands of dollars per year with IAP and FHR.

I would consider both IAP and FHR to be niche perks that only a small percentage of Platinum customers would ever consistently use and many might not even know about. Amex does not do a very good job of advertising the IAP program, were it not for FT I wouldn't even know it existed. I also don't believe either program offers exclusive benefits, which is why I didn't mention them or any of the other useful benefits of the Platinum card like the various credits and hotel statuses. They simply aren't unique to the card like 5x airfare and SkyClub/Centurion access are. You can get the same or similar benefits of both programs in a number of other ways including hotel status, airline status, other credit cards or simply taking advantage of public discounts or sales.

That isn't to say they aren't useful to some, I see success stories all the time on FT and various travel blogs, but I've never run into a situation where either program made financial sense and I obsessively comparison shop. IAP is great in theory, but any time I've called in to price shop an international J flight, it has taken me half an hour on the phone just to get a price that was marginally better than booking direct, if that. Perhaps my style of travel and typical destinations just don't align well.

Like you said, YMMV, but I don't think programs like IAP or FHR are ever going to be a factor in the decision making process of getting a credit card. At least they shouldn't be.
notquiteaff and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:44 pm

think programs like IAP or FHR are ever going to be a factor in the decision making process of getting a credit card. At least they shouldn't be.
Maybe not for you, but for me FHR is the only reason I keep the Platinum (for now).
Old May 16, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Statman

Can you explain how do you get the value from FHR? It is so expensive. And how do you get the value from IAP? Not familiar with this program. I currently have both business and personal Platinums, and I'm considering cancelling both of them, since I also have CSR, USB AR and Prestige.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by yugi
Can you explain how do you get the value from FHR? It is so expensive. And how do you get the value from IAP? Not familiar with this program. I currently have both business and personal Platinums, and I'm considering cancelling both of them, since I also have CSR, USB AR and Prestige.
Recent post from FT member 747FC:

"Competitive rates? Here is a wonderful example:

Just booked three nights at the Tokyo Conrad Hotel. FHR rates are $100 USD less per night than the least expensive Hilton website rate for members/seniors/AAA/etc. Then, add the early checking/late checkout/special benefit/upgrade....this is a wonderful use of the Plat card.
"

IAP offers discounted fares on first, business, and premium economy tickets. See here:

American Express International Airline Program
Old May 17, 2018, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by blaz
Maybe not for you, but for me FHR is the only reason I keep the Platinum (for now).
I think that is two different discussions. FHR as a reason to keep vs FHR as a reason to apply.

The post I was originally replying to seemed to be discussing new applications and the Platinum's viability as an everyday card. FHR is not an exclusive benefit that only Amex Platinum can provide and it is definitely not an everyday benefit. Any number of other things like hotel status or other credit cards can offer the same (or better) benefits, including the Chase Sapphire Reserve which that poster specifically mentioned as having more everyday use. FHR should not be a factoring decision on whether or not to get the Amex Platinum, you cannot assume you'll get use out of it until you've had experience with it.

If you already have the Platinum, then sure, IAP and FHR are great perks if you find that you can get use out of them. I personally have never once found a good deal using either program, but plenty of people obviously do. If you're one of them, great, someone must be getting use out of them or they wouldn't exist, but I'm willing to bet that you make up a tiny fraction of Platinum cardholders.

I do notice that both you and Statman are California based (SFO and LAX). You're far more likely to get value from IAP from those two major gateway airports than others who will likely need a positioning flight to get to a gateway hub that can offer the best rates. Just browsing the IAP thread, it sure looks like the people with the most success are those whose base is a major TATL/TPAC hub (NYC, LAX, SFO, SEA, ORD) and most of the success stories originate from those airports. Any time I've attempted to use IAP out of FLL, the difference in rate was marginal, if one existed at all. MIA is better but not by enough to justify the drive and if I needed to position to JFK, I might as well position to YYZ where cheap J fares are plentiful.

Again, YMMV with these benefits, but I get so much value out of the net AF I spend on the Platinum via lounge access alone that it pays for itself repeatedly.
ptownca likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:12 am

Any number of other things like hotel status or other credit cards can offer the same (or better) benefits, including the Chase Sapphire Reserve which that poster specifically mentioned as having more everyday use. FHR should not be a factoring decision on whether or not to get the Amex Platinum, you cannot assume you'll get use out of it until you've had experience with it.
I have a feeling that you don't quite have a good understanding of what FHR offers. I am not aware of any other credit card or hotel status that would give you the equivalent of FHR. I do hold the CSR and have tried to use Visa's Luxury Hotel Collection. The selection of hotels on LHC was much smaller than FHR and the prices were ridiculous, way above booking direct with hotels. On the other hand, FHR prices are usually on par with a comparable directly booked rate, while FHR adds free breakfast for two, a $100 food or spa credit, guaranteed late checkout and frequent upgrades. Even when I am not upgraded I at least receive a decent room. Again, I am not aware of any way to achieve the same with other cards or loyalty programs, especially not at properties that don't even have a loyalty program like Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. If you prefer to stay at Hiltons or Marriotts, then FHR is not for you indeed.

My experience with FHR is in Las Vegas (Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons), Tokyo (Mandarin Oriental), Hawaii (Fairmont Orchid) and Germany (Waldorf Astoria Berlin).

I believe Virtuoso offers an experience similar to FHR, but the need to book over the phone with a travel agent turns me off Virtuoso.

I think there might also be different expectations here. FHR is not intended to be a bargain, it is more about upgrading your experience at a reasonable cost.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Recent post from FT member 747FC:

"Competitive rates? Here is a wonderful example:

Just booked three nights at the Tokyo Conrad Hotel. FHR rates are $100 USD less per night than the least expensive Hilton website rate for members/seniors/AAA/etc. Then, add the early checking/late checkout/special benefit/upgrade....this is a wonderful use of the Plat card.
"

IAP offers discounted fares on first, business, and premium economy tickets. See here:

American Express International Airline Program
Discounted by $100? What was the final rate? $500?
Old May 17, 2018, 10:23 am

FHR

My wife and I went to New York a few weeks ago for a wedding and we stayed at the Peninsula hotel. The lowest rate on the hotel's website was $577 a night.

I booked through FHR and paid $446 a night (third night free was included in the rate) and in addition got 1) free daily breakfast for two, 2) $100 spa, room or beverage credit, 3) noon check in and 4 pm checkout, and 4) room upgrade. Breakfast is not cheap at the Peninsula, but I will place a conservative value of $50 per day.

Savings = $643 ($393 room rate savings + $100 credit + $150 free breakfast)

IAP

Was in Seoul in February for the Winter Olympics and used IAP for two J class tickets LAX-ICN.

Google flights was quoting roughly $3800 each on Asiana and IAP got the same tickets for me for $3200 each.

Savings = $1200.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Value of FHR and IAP really depends on whether you perceive value in luxury travel. If you would normally stay at the Peninsula and fly international business class, then you can often save some money off the publicly available rates. If you would rather stay in high end hotels on the budget, then it would won't save you much, except for Vegas.

It reminds me of the Costco saying, you save so much money, you'll go bankrupt. FHR saves you money, but you may end up spending more on experiences you may otherwise never spend on. Not necessarily a bad thing.
Old May 17, 2018, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by blaz
I have a feeling that you don't quite have a good understanding of what FHR offers. I am not aware of any other credit card or hotel status that would give you the equivalent of FHR. I do hold the CSR and have tried to use Visa's Luxury Hotel Collection. The selection of hotels on LHC was much smaller than FHR and the prices were ridiculous, way above booking direct with hotels. On the other hand, FHR prices are usually on par with a comparable directly booked rate, while FHR adds free breakfast for two, a $100 food or spa credit, guaranteed late checkout and frequent upgrades. Even when I am not upgraded I at least receive a decent room. Again, I am not aware of any way to achieve the same with other cards or loyalty programs, especially not at properties that don't even have a loyalty program like Four Seasons or Mandarin Oriental. If you prefer to stay at Hiltons or Marriotts, then FHR is not for you indeed.

My experience with FHR is in Las Vegas (Mandarin Oriental and Four Seasons), Tokyo (Mandarin Oriental), Hawaii (Fairmont Orchid) and Germany (Waldorf Astoria Berlin).

I believe Virtuoso offers an experience similar to FHR, but the need to book over the phone with a travel agent turns me off Virtuoso.

I think there might also be different expectations here. FHR is not intended to be a bargain, it is more about upgrading your experience at a reasonable cost.
I have a very clear understanding of what FHR is supposed to be, but I think your experience with FHR is in the minority. I have never found FHR prices to be on par with a comparable directly booked rate or reputable OTA. For reference, I stayed at 14 different properties that are also part of the FHR program last year. Just 3 of those 14 times was the FHR rate competitive (within ~$100/night) and only 1 of those 3 had a comparable rate (Mandarin Oriental Shanghai).

You don't actually believe FHR is offering you exclusive, American Express only, benefits, do you? They're convenient benefits to have for existing cardholders, but they are absolutely not offering you something you can't get elsewhere and they're charging a hefty premium for it most of the time. Many of these properties offer the benefits you list for being either a member or for booking direct, including Mandarin Oriental just by signing up for the Fans of MO club or whatever they call it. I have never not had a late checkout or daily breakfast/dining credit at MO properties and I always book direct (four times last year).

Unless something has changed recently, you don't even earn 5x MR when booking a FHR property, so the only actual unique benefit booking a hotel through Amex might provide isn't even applicable. Like I said, if you're finding what you consider to be a good deal and getting good use out of it, then good on you. But you are most certainly in the minority and you'd be doing a disservice talking it up to someone exploring the Platinum for the first time when most people will never get a single bit of use from it.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
Value of FHR and IAP really depends on whether you perceive value in luxury travel. If you would normally stay at the Peninsula and fly international business class, then you can often save some money off the publicly available rates.
I do perceive value in luxury travel, especially nowadays when my work schedule rarely allows me to utilize my full vacation time. Flying 10+ hours on a lay flat bed allows me to hit my destination running and maximize my vacation time on the ground, not to mention reducing the creaks and groans on my not-so-young body.

I do normally stay in hotels like the Peninsula and I fly J class internationally on my own dime. Thus, IAP and FHR are the main reasons why I have the Platinum and will continue to pay the annual fee. Any other perks from the card is just icing on the cake.

Again, YMMV.
gooselee likes this.

Last edited by Statman; May 17, 2018 at 6:23 pm
Old May 18, 2018, 12:48 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by SP03
Value of FHR and IAP really depends on whether you perceive value in luxury travel. If you would normally stay at the Peninsula and fly international business class, then you can often save some money off the publicly available rates. If you would rather stay in high end hotels on the budget, then it would won't save you much, except for Vegas.

It reminds me of the Costco saying, you save so much money, you'll go bankrupt. FHR saves you money, but you may end up spending more on experiences you may otherwise never spend on. Not necessarily a bad thing.
I agree, and the same is true with air miles. I can tell my coworker that his domestic flight award flight is a bad value compared to an international J redemption, but he wouldn't buy J anyway (I do). My wife likes a nicer hotel, and so having access to FHR has probably resulted in a small uptick in our hotel spending, but we get more-for-our-money in those cases. Also, we aren't blind users of Platinum Travel Services; when I found a prepaid rate in Shanghai for 1/2 the FHR rate, I went prepaid and bought my own breakfast!

Conversely, I never stay at Hilton properties and have stayed at one SPG & one Marriott in the past 18 months of Platinum membership - so what perceived value am I receiving from those hotel status perks?
Old May 18, 2018, 1:16 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Discounted by $100? What was the final rate? $500?
$610 for Lounge-access room.
Old May 22, 2018, 9:58 am

Received an "invite" to upgrade from PRG to Platinum.

I get 3-4 of these annually.

But this time, it came with a free pass (+1 guest) to a Centurion lounge.

I guess the comment above that the Platinum is essentially a lounge card is accurate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.