Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by AllieKat
How is "metal card" a benefit? It means no more contactless cards! (You can't do a metal contactless card) - that's a step backward, not forward.

Heavier wallet, no contactless, no benefit.
Contactless in card form isn't exactly something that's in demand by American consumers. Metal cards, however, are desired by at least a subset of them.

Besides, card issuers would much rather not have to produce physical cards at all eventually, hence the support for mobile wallets.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tmiw
Contactless in card form isn't exactly something that's in demand by American consumers. Metal cards, however, are desired by at least a subset of them.

Besides, card issuers would much rather not have to produce physical cards at all eventually, hence the support for mobile wallets.
Traveling around rural Scotland last summer, several B&Bs and smaller hotels had to use one of those old cc "machines" with ditto sheets that imprints the raised number onto the receipt. I couldn't use CSP b/c of that. In one case it was b/c the internet was out, and so they needed physical proof, I guess.

Assuming all metal cards do away with raised numbers, have a backup.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
... those old cc "machines" with ditto sheets that imprints the raised number onto the receipt ... Assuming all metal cards do away with raised numbers, have a backup.
I would not assume that Amex Platinum metal cards have no raised numbers until we see what they are actually like. The Amex Centurion metal cards most certainly do have traditional raised numbers and letters, and work fine in the old imprint machines.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AllieKat
How is "metal card" a benefit? It means no more contactless cards!
I don't use contactless payments at all

I tried once using Android Pay when I was in Australia and probably looked like a moron with the Android Pay app open on my phone trying to pay for a coffee and completely failing.

I like my physical cards. and I say this as a Millennial that should be all over this new technology.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I don't use contactless payments at all

I tried once using Android Pay when I was in Australia and probably looked like a moron with the Android Pay app open on my phone trying to pay for a coffee and completely failing.

I like my physical cards. and I say this as a Millennial that should be all over this new technology.
I think contactless would be easier if it was in card form. Of course, security concerns a decade ago when we first tried it probably killed that idea permanently here.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
I think contactless would be easier if it was in card form. Of course, security concerns a decade ago when we first tried it probably killed that idea permanently here.
Yea I actually quite like the contactless payments here in France. I think it's for charges under 25 euros, you can use your card for contactless payments 5 times in a row, and then after that, you have to put in your pin. So max concern would be ~125 euros...

Would be nice for the banks in the US to start using a system like that.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthpence
Yea I actually quite like the contactless payments here in France. I think it's for charges under 25 euros, you can use your card for contactless payments 5 times in a row, and then after that, you have to put in your pin. So max concern would be ~125 euros...

Would be nice for the banks in the US to start using a system like that.
The one nice thing is that AmEx will give you such a card if you ask for it. Otherwise the (vast?) majority of issuers don't even offer it as an option, let alone issue cards with it by default.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:01 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the Uber credit has been transferred to a separate thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ch-2017-a.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Steve M
I would not assume that Amex Platinum metal cards have no raised numbers until we see what they are actually like. The Amex Centurion metal cards most certainly do have traditional raised numbers and letters, and work fine in the old imprint machines.
Ah. That's good to know.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:14 am

AMEX site updated to show new card designs. It's happening.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:04 am

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

1. Call tomorrow and ask for metal card
2. Add amex tomorrow to uber to get $15 credit by Friday
3. Anything else? TIA
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bmms8
3. Anything else?
Have you already done everything on the checklist in the Wikipost at the top of this thread?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...d-do-list.html
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by WantsAmex
AMEX site updated to show new card designs. It's happening.
I'm still only seeing the old card design on the website... Not sure why.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TexasTea
I'm still only seeing the old card design on the website... Not sure why.
I'm seeing the new card when I log into my account, but the old one on the public side of the site.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I'm seeing the new card when I log into my account, but the old one on the public side of the site.
Now I see. Both my mobile app and website show the new card when logged in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.