Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:21 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blaz
It is obvious that Amex is hurting. The latest changes are a really bad attempt at extracting more money from a dying product.

The Uber credit is designed for breakage. They bank on the fact that a lot of people will not use it (true) or that they will not use it every month (also true).

The 5x points on prepaid hotels is designed to move people away from booking directly with hotels.

The metal card "update" is just plain sad. I know that Amex started the trend with the Centurion card, but now they are in a group with the likes of the Barclaycard Luxury Card. This is all just bling with absolutely no substance. Sad, just sad.

In summary: The Platinum give you $200 in airline fee credit which is a pain to use. You get $200 in Uber credit, which is a pain to use. You get 5x in MR points for hotels, but only for hotels booked through their travel agency, so again a pain to use. You get hotel status, but if you use it (by booking direct with Starwood or Hilton) you don't get 5x points. You get access to lounges, but the lounges that are unique to Amex (Centurion) are often so crowded that you are better off just staying in a restaurant.

My annual fee is coming up in May. I was thinking of keeping the card for the FHR benefit, which is the only benefit I find valuable. But with the AF hike, there is no way I can justify this product. I will cancel the Platinum and switch what little was going to the Platinum back to the CSR.
I agree it's been dying.

It's been dying since they started the 100K sign up bonus and this was even before Prestige and CSR came in the picture.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:22 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
It is obvious that...
The only thing obvious to me is that competition is good for consumers. Citi has tried, and failed, three times to challenge Platinum. Chase is trying, and will likely fail, but in the interim we have three half-priced products that provide an amusing distraction from life's serious problems.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:23 am

Existing customers aren't hit until September so those with renewals in May have a year to go
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
My annual fee is coming up in May. I was thinking of keeping the card for the FHR benefit, which is the only benefit I find valuable. But with the AF hike, there is no way I can justify this product.
But you won't pay the increased annual fee until May 2018 since it's staying $450 until Sept 1
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by mia
The reality is very different.
You know that, I know that, but what are the odds an average person will know that when deciding to apply?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ntr91
I think most millennials (of which I am one) prize flexibility over being locked in. A relatively small segment of the population has enough free cash to pay $450 for an annual fee, let alone $550, and locking them in to $200 (in ancillary fees only) with one airline and $15 in Uber each month is not generous enough to entice my generation to spend the $550.

With the CSR, whether I take the train, park a car, take an Uber, buy a plane ticket, or bring a checked bag, I can get reimbursed. With the Plat, only two of those can get reimbursed, and one is limited to $15 a month, and you have to pay $100 more. Not a good way to attract the CSR crowd.
Bingo 100%. Agree wholeheartedly. The simplicity is key and Chase as whole has nailed that with the CSP/CSR. Most people (FTers excluded) don't want to remember what card to use when every time they go to buy something (oh, it's a grocery store so I want to use my EDP if I get 30 or more transaction this month, otherwise I want to use my PRG for 2x, but if I want to buy airlines I use my AMEX Plat, etc.).

I recommend CSP (and now CSR) to my non-miles obsessed friends and family because it's simple and easy. You get 2x or 3x on all travel and restaurants and you get $300 back on any travel (for CSR). Done that's it.

AMEX is complicated (well you get a $200 rebate but you have to choose the airline and then do handstands to make sure you get it in a manner that useful and then you get DL SkyClub but only if you are traveling alone, with others it'll cost you, etc., etc.).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
It is obvious that Amex is hurting. The latest changes are a really bad attempt at extracting more money from a dying product.

The Uber credit is designed for breakage. They bank on the fact that a lot of people will not use it (true) or that they will not use it every month (also true).

The 5x points on prepaid hotels is designed to move people away from booking directly with hotels.

The metal card "update" is just plain sad. I know that Amex started the trend with the Centurion card, but now they are in a group with the likes of the Barclaycard Luxury Card. This is all just bling with absolutely no substance. Sad, just sad.

In summary: The Platinum give you $200 in airline fee credit which is a pain to use. You get $200 in Uber credit, which is a pain to use. You get 5x in MR points for hotels, but only for hotels booked through their travel agency, so again a pain to use. You get hotel status, but if you use it (by booking direct with Starwood or Hilton) you don't get 5x points. You get access to lounges, but the lounges that are unique to Amex (Centurion) are often so crowded that you are better off just staying in a restaurant.

My annual fee is coming up in May. I was thinking of keeping the card for the FHR benefit, which is the only benefit I find valuable. But with the AF hike, there is no way I can justify this product. I will cancel the Platinum and switch what little was going to the Platinum back to the CSR.
What is sad is they waited this long to upgrade it even Amazon card beat them to the punch. In fact, it is shameful. CSR came out in August, and they didn't even upgrade it when they added 5x airlines in October.

Previously, I could justify spending $250 (after airline rebate) for concierge and centurion/skyclub lounge access. All I see now is that they raised the price by $100 while adding 5X hotels and uber benefit that I won't get benefit from. Hotel bookings being restricted to their portal is stupid (prevents earning hotel rewards points) and I prefer Lyft for a number of reasons. Luckily, I got until Nov until the AF kicks in. Let's hope they listen by refining or adding more benefits.

Amex profit has taken a big hit since Costco left them and SPG is likely to leave as well once the merger completes later this year, so I can't see how it is good for them if even longtime plat holders start cancelling their cards.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:44 am

I'm guessing you cant buy uber gift cards like airline credit since it goes through cashstar? Would still be a pain to have to remember buying $15 every month.

https://uber.cashstar.com/gift-card/buy/
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mia
The reality is very different.
So zero mention of the Centurion Card. I know it's a different product but benefits always use to trump the Plat. Recently Plat has had a couple of adds that Centurion didn't.

Hoping Centurion sees these or better changes.........
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by vletnguyen
I'm guessing you cant buy uber gift cards like airline credit since it goes through cashstar? Would still be a pain to have to remember buying $15 every month.

https://uber.cashstar.com/gift-card/buy/
No it won't work.

My reading of the T&Cs in the FAQ is the credit is actually implemented by Uber as in they discount your ride before charging the payment method as opposed to an AMEX offer where AMEX credits your account after the charge is posted.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:52 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by vletnguyen
The description of how this will work is that it is NOT a credit to be applied by Amex. Rather, it will be coded into the Uber app and will only apply to rides (the discount/credit will be automatically applied by Uber upon finishing a ride, with your preferred payment method being charged any overage).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:54 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
We do not yet know if the price or features changes will apply to the business version, nor how quickly Citi and Chase will match the price increase.
This implies that Business Platinum will not incorporate these changes:

What is the difference between the Consumer Platinum Card and Business Platinum Card?

The American Express OPEN Business Platinum CardŽ is designed as a tool for business owners who use their Cards to make commercial or business purchases. To learn more about the Business Platinum Card visit https://www.americanexpress.com/us/s...ness-platinum/
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Duke787
Bingo 100%. Agree wholeheartedly. The simplicity is key and Chase as whole has nailed that with the CSP/CSR.
This. Amex instead of making the product easier to use is adding new hoops to jump through to get value from it.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
But you won't pay the increased annual fee until May 2018 since it's staying $450 until Sept 1
True, you have a point. I'm not sure though that I want to pay two $450 fees (Platinum and CSR), considering that I won't be keeping one of the two long term. Oh well, I still have a couple of months to make a final decision on the fate of my Platinum.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
I guess I'll wait and see if any new benefits not announced are any better. If not I'll cancel before next Jan AF.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.