Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
It's comments like this I have a hard time understanding (unless your area doesn't have Uber), especially from people on flyertalk who in theory travel more often than your average person. You never take an Uber to or from an airport? or to get home after a late night out?

I live in one of the most car necessary cities in the US, drive everyday, and I still find it relatively easy to use $15 in Uber credits a month organically. I mean $15 isn't even a one way ride from Downtown to my house.
I take that back. Yes the Uber credit might be useful but it expires every month! In the months that I don't travel, those credits are essentially wasted. Uber is not a reliable way for me to get to the airport. I live about an hour away from a major airport and most drivers simply refuse to take the trip.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by mediator
I take that back. Yes the Uber credit might be useful but it expires every month! In the months that I don't travel, those credits are essentially wasted. Uber is not a reliable way for me to get to the airport. I live about an hour away from a major airport and most drivers simply refuse to take the trip.
First, I have taken Uber trips of far greater than an hour before. Heck, I know people who regularly take Uber from MCO to TPA and back. Drivers who refuse a trip get dinged on their own profiles. Granted, you need to be starting in an area well-serviced by Uber.

However, I'd venture that Amex targets the Platinum card at people who either a) travel at least once a month and/or b) live/work/play in major metropolitan areas where Uber has indeed become a regular part of everyone's routine. I'd imagine that the people who have no use for Uber credits are the exception rather than the rule in Amex's target audience.

This is even without including the UberEATS loophole.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:34 pm

My wife got the 60k upgrade “offer” from prg to plat.
i don’t apply for any cards for her to go back to 4/24 in 5 months, but would accepting this upgrade have any effect on the 5/24 she is currently?
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mediator
Again going OT but You will find the airline credits are tough to use. The Uber credits are useless if you have your own car, plus those credits expire every month. Boingo is also useless for most due to the unlimited 4g data.
I get my $200 of WN credit from gift cards each year.
I use my Uber credit each month.
I have a car. It is 5 years old this month, and just hit 20K miles. Shorter hops where I'm going to be paying too much for parking y/o having a few adult beverages make the calculation very simple. (Also, trips greater than an hour around here might only be 20 miles or less depending on the time.)

I have never used Boingo.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Thino
My wife got the 60k upgrade “offer” from prg to plat.
i don’t apply for any cards for her to go back to 4/24 in 5 months, but would accepting this upgrade have any effect on the 5/24 she is currently?
Shouldn't. Upgrade/downgrades reflect the original account open date. I'd do it, that's a solid upgrade offer. If anybody disagrees with me I'm sure they'll chime in
Old Oct 26, 2017, 4:19 am

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by gooselee
First, I have taken Uber trips of far greater than an hour before. Heck, I know people who regularly take Uber from MCO to TPA and back. Drivers who refuse a trip get dinged on their own profiles. Granted, you need to be starting in an area well-serviced by Uber.

However, I'd venture that Amex targets the Platinum card at people who either a) travel at least once a month and/or b) live/work/play in major metropolitan areas where Uber has indeed become a regular part of everyone's routine. I'd imagine that the people who have no use for Uber credits are the exception rather than the rule in Amex's target audience.

This is even without including the UberEATS loophole.
This may be true but while I am in that target demographic because I travel monthly and use Uber monthly the credits are still worthless. The reason is they are only good in the United States and 90% of my travel is international and that is where I use Uber. So while I am spending over the $15 per month that Amex provides with Uber since Amex has limited this benefit to the US just like so many of there other features it makes the card much harder to justify. It is the same reason I have a problem with so many of the Amex offers i am targeted for especially with hotels since i travel primarily internationally and the Amex offers are all US and Puerto Rico only.

I just don't get why Amex promotes this as travel card and then tells you that most of the perks are only good when traveling in the US.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Joe1690

I just don't get why Amex promotes this as travel card and then tells you that most of the perks are only good when traveling in the US.
THIS!

I haven’t had the PRG in year and that was the problem w PRG dining bonus. USA only
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
You can use the Uber credit on Uber Eats if you have it in your area.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 5:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Joe1690
This may be true but while I am in that target demographic because I travel monthly and use Uber monthly the credits are still worthless. The reason is they are only good in the United States and 90% of my travel is international and that is where I use Uber. So while I am spending over the $15 per month that Amex provides with Uber since Amex has limited this benefit to the US just like so many of there other features it makes the card much harder to justify. It is the same reason I have a problem with so many of the Amex offers i am targeted for especially with hotels since i travel primarily internationally and the Amex offers are all US and Puerto Rico only.

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
THIS!

I haven’t had the PRG in year and that was the problem w PRG dining bonus. USA only
My understanding of this is:
  • AMEX MR are paid for by interchnage rates (~3% in the US)
  • Interchange is capped in most other countries (why reward cards in other places aren't as lucrative)

Obviously other banks such as Chase pay the same rewards worldwide. I guess they assume most transactions would be in their users home markets, while AMEX doesn't want to take on that cost.

I don't agree with it either. But then again most places I travel to don't accept AMEX anyway.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 6:07 pm

I’ve found. Europe to be cool w Amex. Canada isn’t, on the other hand. I suspect it’s got to do with their tightly controlled cartel banking system
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:07 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by JHake10
My understanding of this is:
  • AMEX MR are paid for by interchnage rates (~3% in the US)
  • Interchange is capped in most other countries (why reward cards in other places aren't as lucrative)

Obviously other banks such as Chase pay the same rewards worldwide. I guess they assume most transactions would be in their users home markets, while AMEX doesn't want to take on that cost.

I don't agree with it either. But then again most places I travel to don't accept AMEX anyway.
Where does it say you don't earn MR points with a Platinum card outside the USA?
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:11 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stc
Where does it say you don't earn MR points with a Platinum card outside the USA?
We do, but on cards that have retail bonus categories, such as groceries, gasoline or dining, the bonus is typically restricted to domestic USA transactions.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:19 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mia
We do, but on cards that have retail bonus categories, such as groceries, gasoline or dining, the bonus is typically restricted to domestic USA transactions.
Ah, I've always found bonus categories to be close to a scam and in general a PITA. (I tend to use one credit card for one kind of spend - meals out, household, gas, travel, etc. Switching cards to get a little bit of extra bonus spend every 3 months doesn't make sense to me.) Besides, this thread is about Personal Platinum cards which don't have bonus spend except for the 5x airline and prepaid hotel which AFAICT is worldwide.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 7:31 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by stc
... this thread is about Personal Platinum cards....
Correct, read back to see that the initial complaint is about the inability to use the Uber credit for trips outside the USA, which lead to a mention of a similar restriction on the Premier Rewards Gold bonus categories. That's the nature of conversation.
Old Oct 27, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by stc
Originally Posted by mia
As MIA noted, the bonus points are not awarded for those categories outside the USA (restaurants, gas, groceries, etc). Sorry for the confusion. My hunch is that AMEX doesn't make as much interchange on those swipes and therefore, doesn't pay out the MR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.