Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Troopers
Can you quote the email?
"We are pleased to let you know we have decided not to increase your annual fee at this time. We previously sent you a letter stating that your AF would increase to $550 on 9/20/17. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. You dont need to take any action. The AF on your account will remain $450."

there it is
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:26 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Platinum cardholders now have access to LH Business lounges at MUC if flying LH group in any class of service. Access to Senator lounges if flying J.

Centurion cardholders now can acesss the T2 Satellite F lounge when flying LH group in any class of service!

Very nice overall upgrade. Will be interested to see if it comes to FRA.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/09/20/american-express-lufthansa-lounge-access/
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:39 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-austrian.html
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cplush
"We are pleased to let you know we have decided not to increase your annual fee at this time. We previously sent you a letter stating that your AF would increase to $550 on 9/20/17. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. You dont need to take any action. The AF on your account will remain $450."

there it is
Interesting... curious to see what my fee hits as. I should see it pop up next week.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:48 pm

just curious, did anyone else receive a complimentary $250 Barney's gift card about 2 weeks ago?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:34 am
mia

Moderator action

Discussion of October Uber credit moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ch-2017-a.html
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:31 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Originally Posted by kanlis
I think I get enough value from it to continue paying the AF.
Going OT, but for me: the $200 annual flight credit, $200 annual Uber credits, plus a bonus AX cashback reward that they offer for random merchants typically makes this card about "free" for me. So I'll take the club membership, Boingo access and DL club access for the few times a year I fly DL. If not for the Uber/flight credits, I'd be hard pressed to justify the card.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler
Going OT, but for me: the $200 annual flight credit, $200 annual Uber credits, plus a bonus AX cashback reward that they offer for random merchants typically makes this card about "free" for me. So I'll take the club membership, Boingo access and DL club access for the few times a year I fly DL. If not for the Uber/flight credits, I'd be hard pressed to justify the card.
Again going OT but You will find the airline credits are tough to use. The Uber credits are useless if you have your own car, plus those credits expire every month. Boingo is also useless for most due to the unlimited 4g data.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:43 pm
mia

Originally Posted by mediator
...You will find the airline credits are tough to use. .... Boingo is also useless for most due to the unlimited 4g data.
I have used the $200 airline fee reimbursement credit every year since the feature was introduced in 2010. What problem have you experienced?

It seems improbable that most Platinum cardholders have an unlimited 4g data plan with unrestricted global roaming and excellent indoor reception.
chrisny2 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Again going OT but You will find the airline credits are tough to use. The Uber credits are useless if you have your own car, plus those credits expire every month. Boingo is also useless for most due to the unlimited 4g data.
Next to the CSR, their travel credits are among the easiest to use, IMO.

Personally, however, (and apparently OT) I will be downgrading this card to their cheapest product as I also have the business plat which added the 5X earnings on airfare benefit this year making the non-biz platinum useless for me.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:06 pm
mia

Originally Posted by txpenny
... business plat which added the 5X earnings on airfare benefit this year making the non-biz platinum useless for me.
Only if you purchase tickets through Amex Travel. This is a substantial limitation for some cardholders.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I have used the $200 airline fee reimbursement credit every year since the feature was introduced in 2010. What problem have you experienced?

It seems improbable that most Platinum cardholders have an unlimited 4g data plan with unrestricted global roaming and excellent indoor reception.
At least for Delta I bought 4x$50 Gift Certificates. Almost instantly credited. Not sure how it could be any easier for someone to complain it is hard to use.

I don't. I have used the Boingo 8-10 times this years. It's airport that Boingo has under contract so they don't have their own 'free' WiFi.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Using them for AS has proved a real pain!
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mia

Thanks for moving my post.
Recent data suggests UA gift registry is not a reliable way for using the airline fee credit. The same is true for AA GC.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
The Uber credits are useless if you have your own car plus those credits expire every month.
It's comments like this I have a hard time understanding (unless your area doesn't have Uber), especially from people on flyertalk who in theory travel more often than your average person. You never take an Uber to or from an airport? or to get home after a late night out?

I live in one of the most car necessary cities in the US, drive everyday, and I still find it relatively easy to use $15 in Uber credits a month organically. I mean $15 isn't even a one way ride from Downtown to my house.
chrisny2 and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.