Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Apologies for my relative inexperience in using AMEX.

Yes. I did it the day before buying the card. But I shouldn't call AMEX right...

Chat rep said it won't - should I safely ignore her?
Penny wise pound foolish.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
"Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits."

Does this mean Amex Platinum Business is not eligible?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:28 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj

Does this mean Amex Platinum Business is not eligible?
That's not what the sentence means, but this feature is not offered on Business Platinum.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by mia
That's not what the sentence means, but this feature is not offered on Business Platinum.
Gotcha. Thanks. Guessing Basic means not affiliated with airline or hotel etc.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:37 am
mia

No, basic means only the primary card on the account is eligible. The Uber credit isn't available to supplementary cardholders (which other issuers call Authorized Users). It's included in all the current variants of personal Platinum, but not Business Platinum or legacy cards (e.g. Fidelity).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ch-2017-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...onal-card.html
Old Jun 9, 2017, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by mia
No, basic means only the primary card on the account is eligible. The Uber credit isn't available to supplementary cardholders (which other issuers call Authorized Users). It's included in all the current variants of personal Platinum, but not Business Platinum or legacy cards (e.g. Fidelity).

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ch-2017-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...onal-card.html
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Thanks again!
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:36 pm

Guys. Just checking if anyone has actually gotten Global Entry reimbursed on the supplementary free gold cards?

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:42 pm
mia

Originally Posted by slivrflyr
... actually gotten Global Entry reimbursed on the supplementary free gold cards?
See most recent post here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28240543-post78.html
Old Jun 10, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
No, review your cardmember agreement.

You and your mean the person who applied for this Account and for whom we opened the Account. You and your also mean anyone
who agrees to pay for this Account. You are the Basic Cardmember.
It's good practice to read and understand the terms of your agreement with a financial institution.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by mia
Thanks @mia!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:44 am
mia

Originally Posted by kb9522
It's good practice to read and understand the terms of your agreement with a financial institution.
Indeed, but that's just the beginning. American Express practice frequently deviates from published policy, and almost always in the customers' favor. It's important to know the policy, but it's useful to understand how the policy is implemented, and that's where Flyertalk adds value.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 11:56 am

I got my Plat card at the end of April from a mailer - 100k w/ 5k spend in 3 months. Today I got what looked like the same mailer for 100k points. I thought this was strange since I already opened the card. Out of curiosity I opened the flyer and it was an even better deal! 100k points with 3k spend in 3 months. That is a redic offer!
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by mia
Indeed, but that's just the beginning. American Express practice frequently deviates from published policy, and almost always in the customers' favor. It's important to know the policy, but it's useful to understand how the policy is implemented, and that's where Flyertalk adds value.
Good to know.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by slm9555
I got my Plat card at the end of April from a mailer - 100k w/ 5k spend in 3 months. Today I got what looked like the same mailer for 100k points. I thought this was strange since I already opened the card. Out of curiosity I opened the flyer and it was an even better deal! 100k points with 3k spend in 3 months. That is a redic offer!
I recently had the reverse (fortunately). Signed up for the 100k/$3k offer then received 100k/$5k. Bonus recently posted.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:56 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by ucdtim17
I recently had the reverse (fortunately). Signed up for the 100k/$3k offer then received 100k/$5k. Bonus recently posted.
You got two 100k sign up bonuses?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.