Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2017, 10:52 pm
JCN

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, National Exec
I just read through 30 pages of comments and I guess I'm in the minority.

I use $20-$50 in Uber each month. I fly out of SFO when in the Bay Area and connect in DFW when possible to use the Centurion Lounges because of how nice they are. In all honesty, I hope the new higher AF causes enough cancellations that the lounges will be less crowded.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by madbrain
Really difficult to see how one arrives at that conclusion....
So...from all your posts it seems that this card isn't really for you at all. You'd be making the right move in cancelling or downgrading.

However, it remains a reasonably worthwhile card for many other people.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by madbrain
Is there a card with no or lower AF that I can signup for , or downgrade to, in order to keep the ability to transfer those MR points ? As far as Hilton gold status, I believe I could sign up for an Amex hilton surpass to get that.
Apply for the Amex Everyday card. Full MR privileges with no annual fee. If you're lucky, you'll even come across a 25k MR signup bonus.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:49 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by seawolf
Anybody used the Uber benefit?
Replies moved to separate thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ch-2017-a.html
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by crimsona
5 dollar deliver fee means you're limited to a 9 to 10 dollar item though
Or just pay the difference and enjoy at $15 discount.

I tried to use UberEATS last night but my order kept getting cancelled. I'm guessing all the EATS drivers were declining orders so they could avoid the highway mess.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:44 am

Just give it 1:1 spg point transfer and most of us would be ecstatic.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Klimo
This will never happen, at least as long as the SPG cards exist on their own. After the merger finishes, then it's just going to be 1:1 Marriott as it is right now.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Klimo
Couldn't agree more. I'd settle for this even without the 20% SPG transfer bonus.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Couldn't agree more. I'd settle for this even without the 20% SPG transfer bonus.
combine the benefits and i'd honestly pay upwards of $1000$ for it.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Apply for the Amex Everyday card. Full MR privileges with no annual fee. If you're lucky, you'll even come across a 25k MR signup bonus.
Thank you ! I will be looking for that offer.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Scattered discussion of the bundled Gold cards has been consolidated:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...old-cards.html
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:29 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
So I had actually started putting some airfare purchases on my Plat due to the 5x points enhancement... Then last month I was out of town and incurred a delay of THREE DAYS in returning home due to the winter storm on the East Coast. When I received notification of my flight cancellation, knowing that it would be likely several days before I could get back, I frantically searched for my e-ticket receipt in my e-mails, breathing a sigh of relief when I saw that I'd actually used my Chase Sapphire Reserve for the purchase.

Chase's travel delay insurance just approved my claim in the amount of over $850 (there were two passengers). Going forward, I don't think I'll be using my Amex on airfare purchases anymore as I wouldn't consider 5x MR more valuable than 3x Chase Ultimate Rewards + travel delay insurance.

I understand that Amex has issues with conflicts with affiliate business lines, since they also sell travel insurance... but considering how many Citi and Chase cards now have travel cancellation and travel delay insurance... I think it's a real gap in Amex's offering and hopefully something they continue to consider for any future benefit additions.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Amex really does need to get trip delay coverage. I heard that when they did have it, it was superb.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:41 pm

I think adding the package of included protections that the CSR has would have made the increased fee much more palatable. Most of the time, 5x MRs > 3x URs. But that one time that you're stuck due to IRROPS, being able to pick your hotel room and restaurants rather than being stuck wherever the airline puts you negates all of the extra points you earned on the Plat.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hiima
Amex really does need to get trip delay coverage. I heard that when they did have it, it was superb.
Honestly, I would forego this and the 5x arlines/hotels for even just 2x on dining like the PRG. I really love the new metal card, but I'm still struggling to find any justification why I would use it over the PRG or CSR when eating out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.