Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 4:11 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Majuki
.... I couldn't see myself using the Platinum card for anything other than airline ticket purchases.
And yet you keep the card, because ?
kennycrudup and cplush like this.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:21 am

That's the problem with the Platinum card, and I've found this to be true of many AmEx card benefits. The benefits come across as good in theory but gimmicky in application. Look at the $200 airline credit. What percentage of people would you suppose have AA as their selected airline? The fact that there are many posts about $50 "change fees" shows that people really struggle to make use of the benefit. The same goes for Uber where a lump sum would be infinitely more useful than $15/month plus $35 in December. With the Chase Sapphire Reserve, I can spend as I normally would and not make sure that I have to select the correct airline or keep track of which charges would count toward the benefit versus those that would not. Removing the earning of Ultimate Rewards points on the $300 amount really hasn't changed things for me either. While the $200 airline credit was innovative back in late 2010 when AmEx debuted it, other issuers have since left AmEx in the dust.

I make exactly one charge on my card each year to use the $200 airline credit. I use my CSR for airline ticket purchases because I find 3x Ultimate Rewards to be more compelling than 5x Membership Rewards. Even if I were more invested in Membership Rewards and had a few other cards to supplement the spend in other categories, I couldn't see myself using the Platinum card for anything other than airline ticket purchases.
I keep hearing from the airlines that over 80% of their passengers fly with them only once per year. If this is true then I wonder how many Amex users actually use the credit? Since Amex ties you into 1 airline unlike Chase where you can use any travel provider I suspect there's a of wasted credits
Old May 25, 2018, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by sdix
I keep hearing from the airlines that over 80% of their passengers fly with them only once per year. If this is true then I wonder how many Amex users actually use the credit? Since Amex ties you into 1 airline unlike Chase where you can use any travel provider I suspect there's a of wasted credits
This is a really big understatement, but so true. I have talked to folks with the Platinum card who have no clue about all the benefits they have wasted. The fact is that Amex does not have to give generous point bonuses on stuff like dining, travel (except airfare) because the vast majority of folks don't take the time to learn the benefits of having multiple cards for each spend category. Folks on this board can dream all they want to (I do to) about Amex upping their game on points earning and air credits, but according to the latest stats that "mia" posted recently, Amex is doing more card transactions than ever before, so I think Amex is pricing their annual fee/cost/earn ratio accordingly. FT members are a tiny sliver of Amex's business.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Oh yes I forgot to mention Uber. The current Uber credit is one of those benefits that is good in theory, but since it can't be used overseas (this is a travel card, right?) and it is a monthly credit not an annual credit, it loses a whole lot of value in practical application. I guess if you're someone who consistently uses Uber, $15/month isn't nothing, but if you're only using Uber a few times a year on vacation, you're losing a ton of value. In my case, I am firmly pro-taxi and anti-Uber stateside so I get no use from the credit at all but I do use Uber internationally when available and unfortunately the credit does me no good overseas.

I agree with you wholeheartedly about everything else. I think if Amex adjusted the Platinum to have all the same airport lounge benefits it has now, double down on one of the two hotel statuses they offer and then add 5x MR for direct book hotel and consolidate the airline and Uber credits into a single $300 travel credit like the CSR, they'd have the card to beat. Like you said, you'd have a card with unmatched earning on the big ticket travel expenses, great transfer partners, a solid travel credit, the best lounge access of any card on the market and at least one high level hotel status. Even without things like trip cancellation/interruption insurance or a 2x/3x dining multiplier, you'd have the strongest all around travel card out there and the $550 AF would be nothing.

I really don't think it would impact Amex's bottom line all that much either. Yeah they may be paying up more for 5x MR for direct book hotels and a more usable travel credit, but the fact that more people would actually use their Platinum to book hotels rather than using another card should more than offset it. It'll be interesting to see what they do after the SPG/Marriott status devaluation. I'm not sure they can justify a $550 AF with the benefits as is, even if they want to make the argument that American Express has best in class customer service. That only gets you so far.
Exactly, once SPG/Marriott essentially becomes a "silver" status (yes I know it's gold, but it's watered down a lot from the gold of right now) I think Amex is going to need to do something else, either bring in a new benefit, a new hotel partner, or up it's Hilton status... (or maybe this will all be for not and the Amex won't actually dump us into the "new" Marriott gold...)

Uber is just... it doesn't feel like a benefit, it feels like a marketing partnership. Like a discount on a rental car or something, kinda like the Silver Car VISA Infinite benefit. It might get people using Uber and kicks a little off the cost, but it isn't really getting you anything special. Want a real "Ground Transportation" benefit or something, let me charge a private sedan airport transfer and get up to $200 off like a normal travel credit. Let me rent a Silver Car and get up to $200 off. Let me us Uber, Lyft, taxi, etc and credit back up to $200. That is a perk and benefit that these level cards should have, not a little monthly discount.

It'll be very very interesting to see what Amex does in the next 6 months to a year. The annual fee will really be solid with people by that time and the benefits for Marriott will be washed down the drain. However, they might not do a dang thing since the Chinese market will jump all over the high end Amex cards and they'll probably see strong growth from that...
RumPatrol likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by bigbuy
I have talked to folks with the Platinum card who have no clue about all the benefits they have wasted.
I know someone who frequently flies out of PDX (where Priority Pass has the $28 credit at several restaurants, to make up for the capacity-controlled AS lounge) and has yet to sign up for PP, every time I ask them about it.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:23 pm

So PP and where it works and where it doesn't is something where lack of use makes a little more sense to me. However, when paying $550/year for a credit card I would think the user would at least have one or two big perks that they keep track of, either the hotel status, travel credit, or lounge access. Are people really paying Amex $550 just to say "look, I have this metal Amex card!" ? Or are they doing it because they like the Hilton and Marriott status and just don't fuss with the other stuff?

I totally can see something drawing them in and the rest just being background noise, but when you increase the price $150 a year and DON'T increase the benefits then people might pay attention a little to the $550 fee and wonder what extra value they're getting. If these guys like the lounge access then that just became $150 more expensive; are the lounges nicer, less packed, higher shelf booze? Or are they the same and just more expensive to access now? If they use the travel credit but not really anything else, they're now paying $150 more for the same $200 and same points earning ability, worth it to them or not? If they like the hotel status because they bounce back and forth between the two, or travel enough to make use of it but not 40+ nights a year, well now it's $150 more expensive AND they're getting worse perks at one of those hotel brands.

I highly doubt the Uber credit is a make it or break it for a lot of people, especially with Uber coming out with their own rewards earning card at a much less (or free?) fee...

So yes, they're probably not massive power users like us trying to figure out if we're breaking even at least or making money off the deal, but I would hope they notice a $550 fee for something that isn't giving them anything new compared to last year (other then Uber), or worst case, actually worse hotel perks.

So while I don't think the card will get amazing overnight, I could at least see them re-work the hotel perks, either Diamond on Hilton and drop Marriott, work with Marriott to get Platinum (basically the current gold status), or drop Marriott and add someone else. I don't think Uber will go anywhere because I'm sure that's a cost sharing plan with Uber and not 100% out of Amex's pocket; they're essentially driving business to Uber. I doubt the travel credit will change because they probably do have a lot of people that leave some or all that on the table yet it looks like a nice $ for $ benefit.

The points earning... welllllll, I could see maybe earning bonus on direct hotel booking... maybe
Old May 25, 2018, 3:28 pm

Yeah, they should most def drop Marriott (whom I didn't even realize AX gave status for) and move it to HH Diamond (as I'm going to be LTPP on Mariwood on 8/1)
Old May 25, 2018, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by acarney
I could see maybe earning bonus on direct hotel booking... maybe
Yes, please- I'm doing 5 figures/yr on Mariwood spend.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by bigbuy
I have talked to folks with the Platinum card who have no clue about all the benefits they have wasted. The fact is that Amex does not have to give generous point bonuses on stuff like dining, travel (except airfare) because the vast majority of folks don't take the time to learn the benefits of having multiple cards for each spend category.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. A lot of the benefits discussed in this very thread are barely even advertised by American Express so many people have no idea they exist, never mind how to use them. I also agree that Amex's target demo for Platinum users are likely people who wanted a "prestige" card, could benefit from some of the lounge access and maybe want to take advantage of the hotel status for their once or twice a year family vacation.

I know quite a few people just like that who had no clue some of the benefits ever existed until I brought it up and others who had never even used their airline credit. I don't think Amex really even needs to advertise some of those fringe, secondary benefits because I think they're getting the customers regardless. Unfortunately those of us more in tune with the credit card game likely suffer a bit because it also means Amex (and even Chase) have no real need to make improvements year to year.

That's the problem with the Platinum card, and I've found this to be true of many AmEx card benefits. The benefits come across as good in theory but gimmicky in application. Look at the $200 airline credit. What percentage of people would you suppose have AA as their selected airline? The fact that there are many posts about $50 "change fees" shows that people really struggle to make use of the benefit. The same goes for Uber where a lump sum would be infinitely more useful than $15/month plus $35 in December. With the Chase Sapphire Reserve, I can spend as I normally would and not make sure that I have to select the correct airline or keep track of which charges would count toward the benefit versus those that would not. Removing the earning of Ultimate Rewards points on the $300 amount really hasn't changed things for me either. While the $200 airline credit was innovative back in late 2010 when AmEx debuted it, other issuers have since left AmEx in the dust.

I make exactly one charge on my card each year to use the $200 airline credit. I use my CSR for airline ticket purchases because I find 3x Ultimate Rewards to be more compelling than 5x Membership Rewards. Even if I were more invested in Membership Rewards and had a few other cards to supplement the spend in other categories, I couldn't see myself using the Platinum card for anything other than airline ticket purchases.
I know many people who never even used their airline credit until I basically held them hostage until they bought gift cards. The airline credit really is mostly a gimmick, but as someone who flies Delta 99.9% of the time domestically, I'm at least able to utilize it via gift card purchases. I wish I didn't have to do it that way, but at least I get use out of it. Someone else who might not be loyal to a single airline or whose travel is arranged by their company may not get that use.

Unfortunately, like I said above, I just don't think American Express is all that compelled to do any improvement because their bottom line seems to be doing just fine. They'll get customers on name alone.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:43 pm

The airline credit really is mostly a gimmick, but as someone who flies Delta 99.9% of the time domestically, I'm at least able to utilize it via gift card purchases
Yeah, and let's hope that loophole doesn't go away- I'm comped on drinks and WiFi on WN due to status, so it's GCs or I lose it (haven't been on anyone else in years, thanks to a fat intra-CA schedule and good availability anywhere else I've had to go recently).
Old May 25, 2018, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Yeah, they should most def drop Marriott (whom I didn't even realize AX gave status for)
Indirectly via SPG Gold, which is matched to Marriott Gold.
Old May 25, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
And yet you keep the card, because ?
Even with my single charge per year, my use of the card's benefits puts me at a net neutral / slight positive, even with the higher annual fee. Let's say I use the Uber and airline fee credits, taking the annual fee down to a net $150. Now, I do use the airline fee credit on my Admirals Club membership, so you could say I would go to the Admirals Club or Priority Pass lounge - which I currently get through AmEx Plat but could switch to Hilton Aspire or CSR - instead of the Centurion Lounge, but I think there is some value that one could attach to a Centurion Lounge visit. The same goes for the Sky Clubs the few times I'm traveling on Delta annually versus sitting in the terminal. I wouldn't place the value at $50 for a day pass for either option (which you can't even do for Centurion Lounges anymore), but I'd certainly pay between $15-20 for an entry given the food and beverage options.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL GM
Yeah, and let's hope that loophole doesn't go away- I'm comped on drinks and WiFi on WN due to status, so it's GCs or I lose it (haven't been on anyone else in years, thanks to a fat intra-CA schedule and good availability anywhere else I've had to go recently).
Yep, I've never needed to pay a fee of any kind of DL in years so if for some reason this loophole went away, I'd never recoup enough value from the Platinum to make the AF worth it. Maybe a couple $29 SkyClub guest charges here and there for Mrs. RumPatrol but definitely not $200 worth. I also have the PRG so there's another $100 in airline credits.

I'm still holding out hope they eventually go to a universal travel credit like Chase but even if they don't, I can make do as is.
Old May 26, 2018, 4:26 am

I think you hit the nail on the head here. A lot of the benefits discussed in this very thread are barely even advertised by American Express so many people have no idea they exist, never mind how to use them. I also agree that Amex's target demo for Platinum users are likely people who wanted a "prestige" card, could benefit from some of the lounge access and maybe want to take advantage of the hotel status for their once or twice a year family vacation.

I know quite a few people just like that who had no clue some of the benefits ever existed until I brought it up and others who had never even used their airline credit. I don't think Amex really even needs to advertise some of those fringe, secondary benefits because I think they're getting the customers regardless. Unfortunately those of us more in tune with the credit card game likely suffer a bit because it also means Amex (and even Chase) have no real need to make improvements year to year.

I know many people who never even used their airline credit until I basically held them hostage until they bought gift cards. The airline credit really is mostly a gimmick, but as someone who flies Delta 99.9% of the time domestically, I'm at least able to utilize it via gift card purchases. I wish I didn't have to do it that way, but at least I get use out of it. Someone else who might not be loyal to a single airline or whose travel is arranged by their company may not get that use.

Unfortunately, like I said above, I just don't think American Express is all that compelled to do any improvement because their bottom line seems to be doing just fine. They'll get customers on name alone.
Your last sentence pretty much says it all.
Example, just this past week, I know a married couple who charged an $8,000 cruise and then at the last minute, they had to cancel because of a medical situation. They bought no extra cruise insurance. And guess what card they used to pay for the 8k cruise???? Yep, it was the Amex Platinum with no insurance and one point per dollar instead of using the Chase Reserve with insurance and 3 points per dollar.
RumPatrol likes this.
Old May 26, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Hrmph. Few things make me happier than when I land at SJC/SAN and see the "Rideshare Apps" waiting area overflowing and see tumbleweeds rolling thru the taxi pickup area. At SJC stuff like a $15 flag-drop means "good riddance"!
OMG No joke - I flew into SJC once and Uber was surge-city and long waits. Of course, the tumbleweeds in the taxi area you mentioned also meant there was a lack of taxis too, but it wasn't too long a wait to get in a car. Ended up being cheaper than the surge price from Uber for a short trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.