Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:28 pm

Programs: MR, AA, UA, DL, AVIS and growing
Originally Posted by Gig103
Hi John,
Welcome to Flyertalk! I would like to direct you towards a different thread for discussing the overall "Airline credit" perk and its value towards the Platinum cards, just because it's a valuable topic but you'll get more visibility aside from just in the Delta section (where we are).
2020 Airline Credit Strategy?

For what it's worth, Amex isn't "continuously" raising annual fees on the Platinum, they raised it on the personal card in 2017 and the business card last year. I gained $1800 in value for my $550 cost for 2019, so even if this year I can't use the $200 airline credit I'm still coming out ahead. For me the International Airline Program continues to pay more than $550 for just a single trip a year, and I love having access to a Centurion Lounge in my home airport (SEA).
How do you arrive at $1800 value in 2019 with no SUB?

Think you overvalue some perks.

Centurian in SEA for me is very small, no showers, buffet food weak, and ridiculous charging on alcohol.
SO funny the bartender had a MT Dew in refrigerator with a glass door on it.
I said since he had mediocre quality alcohol ro beer and was charging I'd take the Mt Dew and he told me he codlin;t allow it.
When I asked why is it in the refrigerator he said he had no idea.

Figures.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by euromannn

Centurian in SEA for me is very small, no showers, buffet food weak, and ridiculous charging on alcohol.
SO funny the bartender had a MT Dew in refrigerator with a glass door on it.
I said since he had mediocre quality alcohol ro beer and was charging I'd take the Mt Dew and he told me he codlin;t allow it.
When I asked why is it in the refrigerator he said he had no idea.

Figures.
I thought all drinks were comped at the Centerian Lounges????

If I'm flying out of SEA, I'd rather use the skyclub anyway.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I thought all drinks were comped at the Centerian Lounges????

If I'm flying out of SEA, I'd rather use the skyclub anyway.
I don't recall the Centurian availability but it was like limited to a low quality beer and I think cocktail drinks were charged.

Skymile club doesn't do much for me -- nice shower, very roomer, lots of soups but the charge for quality liquor and unimpressed by their beer.

In SEA --- I enjoy Bambuza restaurant using CSR PP $28 gratuity. So I take my food from Bambuza then head for Skymile if flying delta orThe Club if on AA.

DOn't think the lounge are convenient in SEA unless flying out of Concourse A r B.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I don't recall the Centurian availability but it was like limited to a low quality beer and I think cocktail drinks were charged.

Skymile club doesn't do much for me -- nice shower, very roomer, lots of soups but the charge for quality liquor and unimpressed by their beer.

In SEA --- I enjoy Bambuza restaurant using CSR PP $28 gratuity. So I take my food from Bambuza then head for Skymile if flying delta orThe Club if on AA.

DOn't think the lounge are convenient in SEA unless flying out of Concourse A r B.
I'm sure the cocktails are free at the LAS centurion lounge but it's been a while since I've had adult beverages there.

The free stuff at the Skyclub isn't too bad It's not top shelf but three-olives isn't a bad vodka, beats that Gordon's crap they tried using for a couple months five or six years ago The SEA skyclub also has Beecher's mac and cheese. I've been in the Alaska lounge also back when skyclub members could access it and it wasn't too bad but didn't like the two drink max.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:04 am

Unless something changed last year (...it didn’t) cocktails are free at Centurion. I believe they do have a paid liquor selection in addition but you have to be asking for the really good stuff.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I had thought it was $1800 but I pulled it up and it's $1682. I try to be pretty careful in my valuation.

$200 Airline reimbursement
$100 Saks
$100 Global Entry
$100 Global Entry (wife's gold card)
$716 International Airline Program
$156 Uber (Not $200 b/c when I use "Eats" I subtract the service fees)
$140 Fine Hotels & Resorts Seattle (breakfast & resort credit, not counting the 'value' of the upgrade they gave me)
$74 Fine Hotels & Resorts Portland (Hilton property so I would have had a less expensive but still included breakfast)
$479 the value of 5x points for airfare (2% of the charged value to accurately reflect gains over my 3% Citicard)
$167 lounges (9 visits, I put in values based on what I had that day versus if I had it in the terminal)
=$2232 ($1682 after annual fee)

Edit: And Centurion alcohol is included. Seattle might be cramped, but they have 6 bourbons and some local ciders that are quite enjoyable.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:53 pm

I had thought it was $1800 but I pulled it up and it's $1682. I try to be pretty careful in my valuation.

$200 Airline reimbursement
$100 Saks
$100 Global Entry
$716 International Airline Program
$156 Uber (Not $200 b/c when I use "Eats" I subtract the service fees)
$140 Fine Hotels & Resorts Seattle (breakfast & resort credit, not counting the 'value' of the upgrade they gave me)
$74 Fine Hotels & Resorts Portland (Hilton property so I would have had a less expensive but still included breakfast)
$479 the value of 5x points for airfare (2% of the charged value to accurately reflect gains over my 3% Citicard)
$167 lounges (9 visits, I put in values based on what I had that day versus if I had it in the terminal)
=$2232 ($1682 after annual fee)

Edit: And Centurion alcohol is included. Seattle might be cramped, but they have 6 bourbons and some local ciders that are quite enjoyable.
"$716 International Airline Program"
What is this perk?

FHR prices do not seem to be of great value to me --- yes you get some extra perks but your paying a lot more for hotels.
Lounges pretty vague number......when I visited Centurian in Seattle....tiny buffet of left over roast beef...pretty bad looking.
Alcohol Centurian charges.....so I skipped. Tiny lounge with no showers, mediocre food that I most likely won't visit again..
Old Jan 18, 2020, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
What is this perk?
tl;dr discounts on Y+/J on some carriers on US-originating itineraries (and some Canada). FT thread:

USA International Airline Program (IAP) relaunched as discount benefit (2017).
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
What is this perk?

When I booked two business class tickets to Paris last July, I paid $2763/pp to Amex Platinum Travel, but the cheapest on Google Flights was $3121 each.

FHR prices do not seem to be of great value to me --- yes you get some extra perks but your paying a lot more for hotels.
Lounges pretty vague number......when I visited Centurian in Seattle....tiny buffet of left over roast beef...pretty bad looking.
Alcohol Centurian charges.....so I skipped. Tiny lounge with no showers, mediocre food that I most likely won't visit again..
The card is designed for cardholders who prefer premium travel including luxury hotels, but you should keep an eye on those FHR rates. My 2 night stay at the Duniway in Portland cost $26 over the HHonors rate and I got $220 in FHR benefits. You are of course welcome to your own Centurion (note the spelling) and Skymiles valuation; considering the alcohol and food my wife and I consume it's easily worth $10/pp/visit.
chrisny2 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:18 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
$100 Global Entry
Are you saying that the free AU gold card my wife gets with my Plat membership conveys a GE credit for her (in addition to my GE credit)?

I did not know that...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Are you saying that the free AU gold card my wife gets with my Plat membership conveys a GE credit for her (in addition to my GE credit)?

I did not know that...
Yup!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:52 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Yup!
Thanks!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
when I visited Centurian in Seattle....tiny buffet of left over roast beef...pretty bad looking.
Not sure why you thought alcohol is charged (it isn't) and there definitely is a shower, I've used it, though pretty sure they only have one. That being said the Seattle Centurion Lounge isn't a fair representation of the other 8 Centurion Lounges in the US due to its small size and limited kitchen.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
That being said the Seattle Centurion Lounge isn't a fair representation of the other 8 Centurion Lounges in the US due to its small size and limited kitchen.
If I recall, this is one of those Cent Lite facilities. There must be other Cent "lites" out there, but they escape me at the moment.

PS - At this rate, they should just turn SFO into a Cent Lite and maybe make it a west coast tech thing with LAX being the exception.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:44 am

Centurian... charging on alcohol.
Alcohol Centurian charges...
This simply isn't true. It doesn't matter how often you write it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.