Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by maxp0wers
with the increase on the business plat announced today, this is looking more attractive. My business renewal is in June, so i may as well hold on to that card till then, but most likely won't be renewing. I was considering applying for the personal plat today, but only if the $200 airline credit still will post for 2018.

It seems to me though that it might be too late, correct? I know first statements always generate a bit differently, so thought i'd ask rather than guess. If it's too late for the 2018 credit, then I will just hold off and make the switch when i cancel the business plat in June.
You should have no problem getting the credit for 2018 if you applied today. It has nothing to do with statement dates, your only enemy in this is time ticking off until the end of the year. Once you are approved, receive the card, and select your airline of choice you're good to go to use the credit. Amex is usually pretty fast about getting cards for new accounts sent out. You might even be able to use the credit before the physical card arrives since Amex gives the account number upon approval and you can select your airline and preferences within a day or so. If I were you and I wanted the card I'd certainly apply sooner rather than later.
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:01 pm

When a gold card is an "additional user" to the personal plat, does it inherit any gold features at all (i.e. 4x groceries, $10 dining reimbursement, etc)?
Old Apr 2, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by MaxVO
When a gold card is an "additional user" to the personal plat, does it inherit any gold features at all (i.e. 4x groceries, $10 dining reimbursement, etc)?
No, it earns at the same rate as the Plat.
FlyingHighlander likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What I really need is a public offer of 100k for the AMEX Platinum. It's been like two years since AMEX did this. Unfortunately I'm not targeted with the offer.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
What I really need is a public offer of 100k for the AMEX Platinum. It's been like two years since AMEX did this. Unfortunately I'm not targeted with the offer.
Have you tried the cardmatch thing at creditcards dot com? In the past, they did have legitimate 100K Amex Plat offers and I have known some who have applied for and earned it successfully.

Disc - Not an endorsement or recommendation for the service.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by hi55us
No, it earns at the same rate as the Plat.
I don't really understand the point of having additional Gold cards. Is it really just Amex way of saying you can get free secondary card without Platinum benefits? It doesn't have any Gold benefits either right?
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by SP03
I don't really understand the point of having additional Gold cards. Is it really just Amex way of saying you can get free secondary card without Platinum benefits? It doesn't have any Gold benefits either right?
It has a limited set of the Platinum benefits. For example, they can make their own airline incidental charges and they'll be covered by the $200 annual credit. (This incidental credit is shared across both the primary card and all AUs. AUs don't receive their own separate $200 credit.) Each AU - yes, even the free Gold card - also gets its own Global Entry / TSA PreCheck credit.

Limited benefits aside, some cardmembers enjoy the ability to hand out secondary cards. Amex advertises that you can give a secondary card to housekeepers or other employees for consolidating household expenses. I don't know how common this is but I suspect it's a matter of personal preference.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by SP03
It can be good for college age children who cannot qualify for a cc in their own name and account. I got cards for my daughters.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
It can be good for college age children who cannot qualify for a cc in their own name and account. I got cards for my daughters.
Right. And, when I went to college, it also had the benefit of bequeathing to the AU the Basic cardmember's Member Since trade line inception date. In those days, Membership certainly did have its privileges, since unlike many of my peers, I started with a relatively, on paper anyway, high Fico score with an impressive AAOA.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by Visconti
Right. And, when I went to college, it also had the benefit of bequeathing to the AU the Basic cardmember's Member Since trade line inception date. In those days, Membership certainly did have its privileges, since unlike many of my peers, I started with a relatively, on paper anyway, high Fico score with an impressive AAOA.
What’s different today for college students is that there were banking law changes after the financial crisis of 2008 that made it very difficult for those under 21 to get credit cards if they don’t have substantial income of their own. That makes these free additional user cards especially valuable for some young adults.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:14 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It's also useful if you don't want to carry around a metal card.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 9:19 am

Not much of a benefit anymore with these Amex cards when they've removed airline credits for flights. Plus they've increased their yearly annual fee. Apparently people are still paying for it, since if people stop they'll end this continuous increase yearly.

Delta airlines gift cards when able to purchase was amazing. But now it's just a scrap feeding on the bottom of the ocean while paying over $450/year for the card

interesting to hear how this ends

Platinum here and woulden't mind going at it. But agree with the majority ruining it. Benefits aren't the best with DL anymore

So $175 ticket each, $350 all together. You used two $50 GC and you got it, nice!
Why Ink card for the GC?

Let me know how this plans out

Last edited by mia; Jan 15, 2020 at 10:33 am Reason: Consolidate consecutive replies.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by johnmolanii
Not much of a benefit anymore with these Amex cards when they've removed airline credits for flights. Plus they've increased their yearly annual fee. Apparently people are still paying for it, since if people stop they'll end this continuous increase yearly.

Delta airlines gift cards when able to purchase was amazing. But now it's just a scrap feeding on the bottom of the ocean while paying over $450/year for the card

Platinum here and woulden't mind going at it. But agree with the majority ruining it. Benefits aren't the best with DL anymore

So $175 ticket each, $350 all together. You used two $50 GC and you got it, nice!
Why Ink card for the GC?

Hi John,
Welcome to Flyertalk! I would like to direct you towards a different thread for discussing the overall "Airline credit" perk and its value towards the Platinum cards, just because it's a valuable topic but you'll get more visibility aside from just in the Delta section (where we are).
2020 Airline Credit Strategy?

For what it's worth, Amex isn't "continuously" raising annual fees on the Platinum, they raised it on the personal card in 2017 and the business card last year. I gained $1800 in value for my $550 cost for 2019, so even if this year I can't use the $200 airline credit I'm still coming out ahead. For me the International Airline Program continues to pay more than $550 for just a single trip a year, and I love having access to a Centurion Lounge in my home airport (SEA).
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
1. They did not "remove airline credits for flights" as this was never actually a feature of the card. DL & Amex simply began properly enforcing that particular part of the existing T&Cs.
2. There is still a lot of value to be had in the various Amex cards, depending on each person's situation. The vast majority of cardholders are not trying to game the airline fee credit. And frankly, if you were only holding one of the cards for the airline credit and not utilizing any of the other benefits, that was a bad value proposition to begin with.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,

Why Ink card for the GC?

Unlike the chase sapphire reserve, this isn't a credit for any airline/travel costs, it's only for incidentals, which Am Ex is starting to enforce more strictly. For travelers like myself, who only fly one airline, the travel credit isn't that useful since we already get free checked bags,can get free drinks sitting in economy comfort and with the case of Delta the Am Ex card gets is access to the Delta clubs.

With the enhancements to the Delta Reserve Am Ex, I think Delta flyers would be better off with that card. You still get access to the am ex and delta clubs and you get MQMs, only thing you aren't getting is the Priority pass and you can get a better version of that with a $250 net annual fee on the CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.