Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by yugi
You can use Amex BBP for 2x anywhere, not just restaurants.
Is that short-hand for Business Plat? I'm thinking about getting that next...

Weird, I'm seeing "Status currently unavailable" on the AMEX site right now...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by acarney
Agreed. This card still isn't as powerful for travel as the CSR. I use that pretty much 100% of the time for flights, hotels, and dining. The Amex does seem pretty powerful for buying items though with it's newly announced purchase protection adjustments, 120 days now (instead of 90) purchase protections from damage/theft and the warranty (extra 2 years on items that come with a 2 to 5 years warranty) seems really nice, that said, to be honest, I haven't had many items actually break in the first couple years if they're fairly expense and come with long warranties to begin with...

I would kill for 5x on direct hotel bookings and even just 3x on dining (though 5x would be amazing)... but just us alone probably would bankrupt Amex if they kept the points worth the same and upped the bonus earning :P
Would be nice. As far as benefits go, I'd love to see a Hotel incidental credit of $100-$200 annually. Not sure how that might work with the FHR credit, but that would make me get the card.

But still, I wouldn't charge a whole lot to it.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by lax01
Is that short-hand for Business Plat? I'm thinking about getting that next...
Amex Blue Business Plus. 2x up to $50k annually
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:20 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discussion of the Saks 5th Avenue $50x2 annual credit has been moved:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...plat-card.html
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:15 am

Is it possible to apply for the us platinum amex and post it to an overseas address as long as I have a us bank account?. Or Do I have to use a mail forward service? if I need to do it through a mail forward service. Can you guys recommend any of them
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:20 am
mia

Originally Posted by muhanna
....I have a us bank account?.....
Do you also have a USA Social Security number and credit history?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 9:28 am

No. I am aware that Amex US can open an amex account without SSN. I am looking for a us mail forward service that will forward my card to my country. And my account is in BofA because they open a checking account without a ITIN or SSN
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:05 pm

Does anyone know when I will be hit with the $175 for the 3 additional platinum cards? They were opened at the time I opened the entire account. I was charged the $550 annual fee on my 1st statement. I'm now had 3 statements and still no sign of Amex taking the additional $175.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
YMMV. They forgot about the additional fees for some of us for a while, and then they un-forgot about them. But not retroactively, so just enjoy it while it lasts.
Old Sep 15, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
YMMV. They forgot about the additional fees for some of us for a while, and then they un-forgot about them. But not retroactively, so just enjoy it while it lasts.
^
Old Sep 15, 2018, 12:15 pm

To folks whose AU fee didn’t post immediately, did you add the users right away ? I added mine after I activated the primary. Same cycle. First cycle hadn’t closed yet.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: United Plat
PLAT card members can get free additional Gold Card. Gold card has been refreshed with new benefits today. Does the free Gold card from Plat membership come with new Gold benefits?
Old Oct 4, 2018, 11:56 am

No. old authorized user cards never had the old gold earn rates
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by sfo3388
PLAT card members can get free additional Gold Card. Gold card has been refreshed with new benefits today. Does the free Gold card from Plat membership come with new Gold benefits?
Originally Posted by crimsona
No. old authorized user cards never had the old gold earn rates
Darn that would have been unbelievably awesome for us Plat holders earning only 1x on non-flights.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:52 pm
mia

Supplementary gold or green cards on a Platinum account earn the same rewards as the Platinum card itself: 5X for airfare and prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel, 1X elsewhere. It's the account that matters, not the color of the card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.