Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page >

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Centurion
American Express press release is HERE.

American Express product site is HERE.

Price change dates for new and existing accounts:
When is the fee increasing for Platinum Card Membership?

Beginning on March 30th, 2017, the new annual fee for Platinum Card will be $550. For Existing Platinum Card Members, the annual fee will take effect on their annual renewal date on or after September 1st, 2017.

Unpublicized change to Priority Pass benefit:
At any visit to a Priority Pass Select lounge, you may bring in two guests for no charge.
Terms of the Uber benefit:
Only Basic Card Members on a Platinum Card account are eligible for Uber VIP and monthly ride Credits. To receive this benefit, you must have downloaded the Uber App version 3.219 or later for iOS or version 3.126 or later for Android and your eligible Platinum Card must be a method of payment in your Uber account. If you are assigned a new Card number, you must update your method of payment in your Uber account. Cards added to your Uber account through a third party such as Apple Pay or PayPal will not be eligible. A Platinum Card account may receive this benefit on one Uber account. If the same Card is added to multiple Uber accounts, only the first Uber account to which the Card is added will receive the benefit. Uber VIP is available in select cities and is governed by Uber’s terms and conditions. To redeem monthly ride Credits, you must select to use the Credit in your Uber app prior to completing the Uber ride. The discount will not apply to previous Uber rides. New and existing Uber users are eligible. Uber will apply discount at the point of sale. There is no limit to the number of rides you may apply the Credit to each month, up to a total of $15 in Credits per month. Each year in December, you may apply up to $35 in Credit. The discounted cost of a ride will be displayed on your post-ride email receipt. If you are eligible to receive additional Membership Rewards points on your ride, points will be awarded on the balance of the cost of the trip after Credits are applied. Credit may be applied to all Uber car types and cannot be applied to other Uber services. Credit may only be applied to rides within the United States. Monthly ride Credit expires at 11:59 PM local time on the last day of each month. Unused Credit will not carry over to the following month. Credit will be applied for the month in which the ride is completed. If ride is eligible for another promotion that you have added to your Uber account, the promotion will be applied before the Credit. Certain Uber-branded credits may be applied to your ride balance prior to this Credit.
*If you do not see a $15 credit appear and you receive a message your card may be the registered payment to another Uber account and you must delete your card from all Uber accounts and reenter your card on the Uber account your want the credit benefit.

Metal card availability:

How can Platinum Card Members get the new metal Card?

The new metal Card will be issued to Platinum Card Members 60 days prior to their Card expiration date or can be requested beginning on March 30th, 2017 by calling the number on the back of the Card or requesting a replacement card after you sign in to www.americanexpress.com and click on replace lost damaged card.
Print Wikipost

USA: New (2017) personal Platinum benefits; Higher annual fee ($550)

Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
...aren't in much of a position to pay $550 per year for a plat card. ...
The net cost of the card will be $150, or less.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mia
I think this benefit was specifically added to attract younger affluent consumers, rather than to appeal to the existing Platinum cardholder base.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireS...-card-45847904
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Interesting. I work with millennials and while they do use Uber more, they aren't in much of a position to pay $550 per year for a plat card. And they aren't traveling anywhere near as much as their GenX counterparts. Most haven't yet achieved the career height or the income to travel extensively for leisure or afford a high AF. Sure some have, but not most.
In which case they've completely missed the mark. A $15 uber credit/month isn't going to the move needle with millennials (I'm 28, I am one). They need to look at the CSR and copy it exactly if they are trying to go after millennials.

It's been pretty incredible to see all my friends who could care less about points and miles suddenly become the biggest CSR fans in the world - posting stories on FB and pulling it out of their wallets left and right. The 100k bonus, the focus on travel (as a broad category with an easy to understand travel credit and no hoops to jump through), and category bonuses on travel and restaurants are easy to understand align with the traveling / eat out / fast-paced nature of millennials (at least the ones I know - which represent the millennial demographic Citi / AMEX / Chase are trying to attract).
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Thumbs down Amex. As I have never used Uber I will not be renewing by Amex Plat Card when the annual fee comes up.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by mia
The net cost of the card will be $150, or less.
That is very debatable. To me $15 in Uber credits a month != $15 cash. I might have no use for Uber that month and there seems to be always deals on Uber and Lyft going on that may or may not be usable with the Amex credit. So to me the value of the Uber credits is considerably less than $200 of course this is YMMV.

Honestly even the airline fee credit is worth less than $200 to me. I am forced to game the system with Amex (Citi and Chase are better in this respect) and buy GCs. That is fine as far as it goes but it does force to me use a particular carrier which may or may not be optimal so again I have to discount the airline fee somewhat since $200 cash can be used anywhere. An airline gift card can only be used on that airline so again $200 airline credit != $200 cash to me.

That said there are plenty of other benefits but I doubt I'll be able to justify continuing to hold both the Personal and Business Plat.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hi55us
Wonder why they made this strange Uber move with all the bad press Uber has been getting. Wish they would extend the credit to Lyft as well.
Amex already has a promotional relationship with Uber, offering 2x MR points on Uber rides, so it was probably a more natural fit. Selfishly, I'm not complaining since we have Uber in Houston, but no Lyft.

I'm moderately annoyed that my account renewal date is only a couple weeks after the cutoff for the lower $450 fee. Was also hoping Amex would make the travel credit easier to use.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Was also hoping Amex would make the travel credit easier to use.
+1 That was what I was really hoping for.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:43 am

Reuters is reporting there will be increased lounge access. Curious to see what that ends up being.

The new Platinum benefits will include richer credits for spending, access to more airport lounges, special dining and entertainment options and free use by family members of an American Express Gold card, according to Janey Whiteside, general manager of Global Charge Products, Benefits & Services for American Express.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:46 am

People on Reddit that have called into priority pass have been confirmed to get upgraded memberships that allow for 2 guests instead of cardholder only effective mid April
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
So the first credit comes March 30, and my annual fee hits in January, so I effectively get free Uber credits all of 2017?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:54 am

New Amex Platinum

There is a new Platinum card announced with a higher fee ($550) and better benefits.
(see http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/02/pf/a...rds/index.html)

They state "The new card launches on March 30, and current Platinum customers can start taking advantage of the added benefits on that date. "

This seems to imply that those that want the card should apply before then, nd hope to avoid the higher fee for the first year, and get the greater benefits.

" American Expres (AXP)teamed up with Uber to offer up to $200 in rides every year ($15 a month, with a $20 bonus in December) when customers make the card their payment method on the app.

The company also enhanced the card's travel rewards: Customers can earn five points for every $1 they spend on certain hotels booked through Amextravel.com using the card.

The card also has a brand new look and feel: it will be made of metal. "
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:55 am
mia

Originally Posted by bodiddely
... increased lounge access. ...
I think all the news agencies are working from the same source material. In some articles this is followed by mention of the Centurion lounges in Hong Kong and Philadelphia, that are already known. Adding free guests to Priority Pass would be simple to implement, and inexpensive.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 7:56 am

They should make two versions for plat card instead of forcing card members to pay 550. Not everyone uses Uber.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:01 am
mia

Originally Posted by trikotret
...Not everyone uses Uber.
If everyone used every benefit the annual fees would be much higher. We need to choose the card that is the best match for our requirements and let the others go.

It seems like whether this is good or bad for any individual really comes down to whether that person used Uber. I do use it regularly enough that that seems like a $100 reduction in the cost of the card for me. If I never used Uber, it would be a $100 increase. The 5x hotel thing seems pretty useless, for me anyway, as I never book stays through AMEX.
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I don't live in the US (even though I have the US card) so the Uber credits are mostly useless except for occasionally when I visit. The monthly expiration thing really sucks.

I'm hoping I can link a friend's account so that they can use them. I wonder if this requires them being an AU.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.