Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Can lounges decline or restrict entry to Priority Pass members?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can lounges decline or restrict entry to Priority Pass members?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:57 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by lastcallfordeparture
If someone was denied due to being full, how does this person know the lounge wasn't full at all if he never entered?
Most of the lounges that I used PP at, the desk at the front and you can see in the lounge.
I often check out the lounge crowding before I will bother going in.
At some airports the gate area is less crowded than the clubs,
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Some of the comments in this thread seem to imply that there's some sort of conspiracy going on whereby lounges deny PP cardholder access, claiming "lounge crowding" but where there's actually some other reason. Could someone spell out just what they think these other motivations might be?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum UK and related Hotel loyalty programs
Originally Posted by Steve M
Some of the comments in this thread seem to imply that there's some sort of conspiracy going on whereby lounges deny PP cardholder access, claiming "lounge crowding" but where there's actually some other reason. Could someone spell out just what they think these other motivations might be?
Maybe they go more money from walk up fees or other programmes so they hold out for them. In BHX i was turned away even though you could see from the door that it was very quiet.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
I am a Amex Plat card holder based at DFW with both Centurion Lounge and Club DFW access. A couple years ago they started pushing PP card holders to a window-less room that seat about 12. For the past two weeks I had gone there twice. Twice they had a waitlist going. I gave up the first time and asked if I could use one of the three showers (the main reason for me going there since most of the time these showers are available vs. the ones at the Centurion) Today I was told that I could not. When asked if the showers were available, I was told by the old dragon woman "yes, but it's for those already in the club" That really p***sed me off. I called PP and lodged a complaint this PM and was told someone will be in touch on Monday.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by DFWFairy
...Club DFW access. ...
The Club at lounges are the only lounges operated Priority Pass itself. (Technically not true, but operated by another company owned by Collinson Group.) Seems odd that they would discourage Priority Pass members.

Note that you now also have access to Minute Suites near Gate D23 which includes two shower suites.

Last edited by mia; Apr 30, 2017 at 1:18 pm
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by robiles
Maybe they go more money from walk up fees or other programmes so they hold out for them.
It's not an either/or issue: they can admit both PP members AND walk-ups AND those from other programs that pay them more money. The only case where it is an either/or is if the lounge is at capacity or is anticipated to do so prior to your expected lounge departure. You bolster my point, not refute it.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by jbarm
Air France/KAL lounge at SFO is known to block Priority Pass holders on occasion.
Personal record of 50% deny rate is a bit more then on occasion. Denying me once is going to count a lot more toward my perception of the lounge than acceptance.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The PP lounge at JFK T4 (Forget the name) recently had a sign saying they were not accepting PP members for entry at that time, on our way out. It was definitely very crowded when we arrived, but by the time we left it was much less crowded yet they still had the sign up.
It was a Thursday at about 6pm, so prime pre-TATL time.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
The PP lounge at JFK T4 (Forget the name) recently had a sign saying they were not accepting PP members for entry at that time, on our way out. It was definitely very crowded when we arrived, but by the time we left it was much less crowded yet they still had the sign up.
It was a Thursday at about 6pm, so prime pre-TATL time.
The wingtips lounge in T4 is not intended to be a DL lounge, and instead acts as a lounge for other international airlines out of T4 in addition to lounge networks. The lounge is closed to lounge network access daily and Priority Pass notes that
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The Alaska Lounges will restrict PP access as of May 1; no more guests. But perhaps members themselves will be able to access them more consistently again.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The Alaska Lounges will restrict PP access as of May 1; no more guests. But perhaps members themselves will be able to access them more consistently again.
I hope so. I was denied recently and had to use a day pass (for being MVP 75K) and when I entered the lounge was about 1/3 full.
Old May 1, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Basically it's a scam. I am not an attorney but wonder what's the legality on this?
Old May 1, 2017, 9:34 am

Basically it's a scam. I am not an attorney but wonder what's the legality on this?
I doubt any of us actually paid for it.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
What is a scam? What terms and conditions did you agree to that you feel are being violated?
Old May 1, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Some lounges (such as KE at ICN main terminal) have permanent signs outside telling Priority Pass users to go to other lounges (with names provided)

The response from Priority Pass:

============================
Thank you for contacting us. We’re very sorry to hear you were denied access into a few of our participating lounges. The Lounges addressed are participating lounges in the Priority Pass program and we do show members are able to access these lounges when not at capacity.

As sometimes these lounges will not allow access to walk-ins for short periods of time when they have capacity issues.

Some of the lounges are contractually with airlines and are obliged to hold any pre-booked spaces for the duration of the booking, as passengers may arrive at any time within the booking period. This means lounge staff may need to decline access to on-demand guests, as this would exceed their lounge capacity and safety limits.

So, although it may look like there is space within a lounge, the lounge staff may be expecting a number of pre-booked guests from airlines or tour operators.

===========================================

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.