Best use of Amex points for domestic UA flight

Old Feb 21, 17, 12:52 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Best use of Amex points for domestic UA flight

Hi,

I'm trying to book BFL-SFO on UA. There is award inventory available for 10K UA miles each way (which is far better than the cash price of $400+, at that point I'd rather take Greyhound!).

If I wanted to use MR instead, what would be the best way of doing it? UA isn't a partner but I assume I can transfer to a Star Alliance carrier. I looked at a couple but they all seem to insist that I sign up for an account before showing availablility. Any suggestions for things to look into? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 21, 17, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally Posted by cbn42 View Post
I'm trying to book BFL-SFO on UA. There is award inventory available for 10K UA miles each way (which is far better than the cash price of $400+, at that point I'd rather take Greyhound!).

If I wanted to use MR instead, what would be the best way of doing it? UA isn't a partner but I assume I can transfer to a Star Alliance carrier. I looked at a couple but they all seem to insist that I sign up for an account before showing availablility. Any suggestions for things to look into? Thanks in advance.
If you have Business Platinum AMEX for its 2 cents per point redemptions and 40K MR points with which to play with and can designate UA for that Platinum AMEX card, you could spend net approx. 20K MR points to purchase a $400 UA ticket....

Old Feb 21, 17, 1:16 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pshuang View Post
If you have Business Platinum AMEX for its 2 cents per point redemptions and 40K MR points with which to play with and can designate UA for that Platinum AMEX card, you could spend net approx. 20K MR points to purchase a $400 UA ticket....

Ahh unfortunately I don't. I have the personal platinum AMEX.

But it's actually ~$400 each way I'm pretty sure almost no one pays cash for this route without a connecting flight.
Old Feb 21, 17, 2:12 am
In memoriam

Personally, I'd just rent a car and drive.
Old Feb 21, 17, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
Personally, I'd just rent a car and drive.
+1

When you look at the whole picture, driving may be a better solution.
Old Feb 21, 17, 3:34 pm

Just sign up for an Aeroplan account, it's free and you can book the flight online if it's available. 12.5k each way
Old Feb 21, 17, 4:21 pm

I live in Bakersfield. I can see how the flight might be more convenient on a time saving perspective, but SFO is notoriously bad at regional flights competing with international fights for a slot in the air traffic controller's schedule. In other words, if a 747 full of several hundred people coming from Japan is ready to land, you get to wait another 15 minutes (and if there are more than one 747, you could wait longer).

That being said, I have the business platinum and the CSR. I would probably just use the chase travel portal to use my UR points at 1.5 cents per point. And as the other poster stated above, using the business platinum has a great pay with points benefit. Have you tried using the Amex travel center to see how many points it would take to book a UA flight? The benefit would be that you could use the MR to pay for a revenue ticket, which would count toward UA Elite status (earning EQM).

If UA elite status is not something you're interested in, then I would suggest transferring to Singapore airlines (they are a star alliance carrier). The only caveat is that you'd have to call Singapore Airlines directly to book the award ticket, and there has to be saver level award ticket seats available on the UA metal at the time of booking.

See the following website for more info (thanks MMS!)

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2015/1...the-caribbean/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: