Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX SPG Personal & Biz 35k 2017

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Time to Post?

Hit the $3K spend threshold on 5/13, billing period closed 5/19. Does it really take the 8-12 weeks stated in the T&Cs for the bonus points to post?
Old May 26, 2017, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by jmd001
Hit the $3K spend threshold on 5/13, billing period closed 5/19. Does it really take the 8-12 weeks stated in the T&Cs for the bonus points to post?
My bonus points (25k) posted to SPG account before the billing period closed (early this month).
Old May 29, 2017, 3:20 pm

Hit the min spend on both biz and personal mid-march for my wife's new cards. Biz bonus pts pointed within a week. Over 10 weeks now and personal bonus still hasn't posted. I have a feeling they are somehow blocking them due to her being an additional cardholder on my spg personal card, but my understanding is this should not preclude her from getting the bonus points. Of course there's a different person in India every time we call and they have a different story every time.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pesos
... I have a feeling they are somehow blocking them due to her being an additional cardholder on my spg personal card, but my understanding is this should not preclude her from getting the bonus points. ...
You are correct, holding a supplementary card is irrelevant. There's no benefit to calling before the amount of time specified in terms of the offer. If it says (example) eight weeks, that clock does not start running on the date the qualifying transaction posts, but rather when that transaction appears on a statement.

American Express using batch processing to award bonuses. If a qualifying transaction is not picked up on the earliest possible date the system doesn't keep looking for transactions on that date, it will be picked up weeks later, -or- not at all. If the full number of weeks has passed you should contact them with all of the relevant documentation, including a copy of the original offer.
Old May 29, 2017, 3:56 pm

Yep just odd that her mom's personal card posted the bonus immediately, as did her biz card.

also the second of the four times I called the rep (who admittedly seemed as clueless as he rest) explicitly told me she was not eligible bc she was an additional cardholder. Next week when we do reach the full 12 weeks, how do we get a hold of someone competent?
Old May 29, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jmd001
Update: After looking carefully at my Amex account web page, I realized the page was showing a semi-masked SPG account number that was not mine. Apparently even though I thought I input my existing account number, Amex opened a new account for me.

Just used an Amex chat session to get the linked SPG account number corrected. Was told it will take 5 days to get the corrected link established and incorrectly posted points transferred. I confirmed that I had met the spend threshold for 25K pts, but was given the T&C party line of 6-8 weeks for posting.

No urgent need for points, so I will just "patiently" wait.
Old May 29, 2017, 4:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by pesos
...explicitly told me she was not eligible bc...
This happens at all mass market businesses. The customer service agent is asked to explain an omission, and invents an explanation that incorporates a factual, but irrelevant, statement. It's unimportant.

There is no magic word that gets you past the frontline customer service agents. I sometimes ask, "Do you have the personal authority to award XXXXXX points during this call? No? May I speak with your manager." This can get me passed up a few levels, but eventually I reach a person who isn't going to transfer the call, and then it's a matter of staying calm and focused on results rather than explanations.

Best results are achieved during normal Eastern USA business hours, Tuesday - Friday. Avoid nights, weekends, holidays and the day after. Don't call (or Chat) when you are pressed for time.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by livestrongforever
I spent 10k and have not received the 35k bonus yet after statement cutoff.

I did a chat online and they said they didnt see any bonus offers on my amex....great. Submitted a ticket and they will get back to me.
Just wondering any update on this. I have the same issue, spent about 10k and they said they don't even see the promotion on my account.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by bobu
Just wondering any update on this. I have the same issue, spent about 10k and they said they don't even see the promotion on my account.
Do you mean $10k spending or 10k points? I have just finished spending $8k on AMEX-SPG-Business and hope to get the additional 10k bonus soon. Please confirm that I don't need to spend $10k.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 5:13 pm

Finally got the points. Took longer than the 12 weeks it's supposed to. Really weird that the biz card posted within a week and the personal card took over 3 months, but whatever. The most frustrating part of it is that you get 5 different answers from 5 different reps - they're all clueless.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hemera
Do you mean $10k spending or 10k points? I have just finished spending $8k on AMEX-SPG-Business and hope to get the additional 10k bonus soon. Please confirm that I don't need to spend $10k.
There may be different offers around. If you signed up for the $5k for 25k in the first 3 months and 10k more for a total of $8k in the first 6 months, then you only need to $8k spend. But not everyone signed up for that offer, so someone else may need to do something different.

Since my SPG biz 25k offer was on the statement (and timed with the statement) where I passed $5k, I would presume the soonest you could see the extra 10k bonus is on the first statement that includes the spend that took you over $8k total. (I'm still working on my $8k total, and have about 2 months to spare.)
Old Jul 15, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Hemera
Spent $10k, haven't gotten any points yet. Live chat said they couldn't find any promos on my account, but also told me it was a known issue. They said just to wait for next statement and contact them again so that's what i'm doing.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bobu
Spent $10k, haven't gotten any points yet. Live chat said they couldn't find any promos on my account, but also told me it was a known issue. They said just to wait for next statement and contact them again so that's what i'm doing.
But spent $10k on what schedule? If you had the SPG BIz 35k offer, that required $5k or more spend in the first 3 months, and then $8k or more spend total in the first 6 months. If you didn't achieve the $5k spend in the first 3 months, you wouldn't get any points AFAIK (since the $8k spend requirement is just for an add-on 10k points assuming you got the intiial 25k points for the $5k spend).

Also, what kind of spend? Not "obvious" gift cards I hope:
Old Jul 15, 2017, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But spent $10k on what schedule? If you had the SPG BIz 35k offer, that required $5k or more spend in the first 3 months, and then $8k or more spend total in the first 6 months. If you didn't achieve the $5k spend in the first 3 months, you wouldn't get any points AFAIK (since the $8k spend requirement is just for an add-on 10k points assuming you got the intiial 25k points for the $5k spend).

Also, what kind of spend? Not "obvious" gift cards I hope:
All organic spend, no MS whatsoever. And this was all done within 2 months.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: MM / UA 1K
It would be disappointing if Amex is interpreting tax payments as "fees or interest charges". If that's the case I think they should be more explicit in the T&C for the signup.

Originally Posted by silver02accord
I posted earlier about my spg biz bonus points not posting. I had them open an investigation they say I met the terms of the offer. Then through chat the csr says my $20k charge for taxes was invalid and doesn't count towards the minimum spend. This after they confirmed several times that terms had been met.

The csr reopened the investigation and it is still pending. It has been about 5 months I would guess. Will keep posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.