AMEX SPG Personal & Biz 35k 2017

Old Apr 18, 17, 4:31 am

It's not a bad idea since we don't know when the SPG business offer will end. In the past they did have 35k offers in August. No guarantee that will happen though.
Old Apr 18, 17, 4:46 am

Thanks rrgg. Have some spend I need to make before August, so will likely go for the 25k.

EDIT: Hadn't noticed the spend was 5K in 3 months for the biz card vs. 3K for the personal. And have already had the personal before. So this one's out of the running unless there's a 3K spend offer for the biz version.

Originally Posted by rrgg View Post
It's not a bad idea since we don't know when the SPG business offer will end. In the past they did have 35k offers in August. No guarantee that will happen though.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Apr 18, 17 at 4:57 am Reason: Spend is 5K not 3K
Old Apr 18, 17, 7:58 am

If you're just looking to rack up some SPG points there's the Marriott card that gives you 100k + 7.5k with AU. That's what I got after realizing I missed out on the 35k SPG.
Old Apr 19, 17, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy View Post
Thanks rrgg. Have some spend I need to make before August, so will likely go for the 25k.

EDIT: Hadn't noticed the spend was 5K in 3 months for the biz card vs. 3K for the personal. And have already had the personal before. So this one's out of the running unless there's a 3K spend offer for the biz version.
Well, then you wouldn't care for the 35k biz either, because it was 25k for spending $5k in 3 months, plus an additional 10k for spending $3k more ($8k total) in 6 months.

Perhaps Amex is getting tired of people doing what you were planning to do (and what I did when the 35k offer was available), and applying for business cards just because they wouldn't get the "once in a lifetime" bonus on the personal card, and decided to make it harder to dissuade some people? If so, it apparently worked on you (but didn't work on me).

Last edited by sdsearch; Apr 19, 17 at 1:03 pm
Old Apr 19, 17, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
If you're just looking to rack up some SPG points there's the Marriott card that gives you 100k + 7.5k with AU. That's what I got after realizing I missed out on the 35k SPG.
But the personal Marriott card is subject to 5/24, and I don't see a current 100k offer for the business card, only 80k. (The business Marriott card is exempt from 5/24.)
Old Apr 19, 17, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow View Post
Although I received the 100k Marriott offer, I've hesitated in applying for that card. I feel that Chase likes to make a splash and will come up with something better eventually. Since Marriott points are inflated, they could come up with a 200,000 point headline someday. Just a thought...
Old Apr 20, 17, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Although I received the 100k Marriott offer, I've hesitated in applying for that card. I feel that Chase likes to make a splash and will come up with something better eventually. Since Marriott points are inflated, they could come up with a 200,000 point headline someday. Just a thought...
Someday doesn't matter. Next 2ish years is what matters.

You can get the card now, and then 2+ years from when that 100k bonus posts (if you've cancelled the current card by then) you can get it again (assuming you're not at 5/24 either time).

So all that matters is whether it gets to 200k within a bit over 2 years, and I would think that's very unlikely.

Keep in mind that the present climate is Chase Marriott competing with Amex SPG which both earn essentially the same currency. But if the merged program drop Amex, then there'll be less competition between banks just at the same moment that there's one fewer major hotel programs competing against each other. That analysis implies the bonus is maybe not as likely to be as high when the new merged program settles in.
Old Apr 21, 17, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post

You can get the card now, and then 2+ years from when that 100k bonus posts (if you've cancelled the current card by then) you can get it again (assuming you're not at 5/24 either time).

So all that matters is whether it gets to 200k within a bit over 2 years, and I would think that's very unlikely.

Keep in mind that the present climate is Chase Marriott competing with Amex SPG which both earn essentially the same currency. But if the merged program drop Amex, then there'll be less competition between banks just at the same moment that there's one fewer major hotel programs competing against each other. That analysis implies the bonus is maybe not as likely to be as high when the new merged program settles in.
I don't think we will see signup bonuses higher than 100k without seeing more tiered spending schemes. SPG 35k (25k+10k) for $5k/$8k and British Airways 100k (50k+25k+25k) for $20k spend are two examples of this. Main goal is that they want to get people to use the card more than the first couple of months after they get the bonus.
Old Apr 21, 17, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post

That's exactly my point. They are competing right now and a better offer could come along in the next 12 months. Maybe you think I'm exaggerating with 200k, but I don't think so. People would have said exactly the same thing about 100,000 miles on BA until it happened. Now 100k is the new bar. Besides 200k Marriott is < 100k BA < 100k UR and those happened.

Originally Posted by Explorer789 View Post
I don't think we will see signup bonuses higher than 100k without seeing more tiered spending schemes
That's not at odds with anything I've said. I'll spend more to get more.
Old Apr 22, 17, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott PLT
I'm so tired of hearing "we don't take American Express".

We got the SPG Business and have been trying to satisfy the $5K in spend. We've been upgrading the siding on our home. Each year we do a new section of the house. This year's section was about $6K. When the bill has been $10K the lumber company has wanted to charge me a fee to take credit card payment. This year I was glad to hear they wouldn't charge me a fee. Then they come back with "we don't take American Express."

I've asked if they'll take money orders and they say they will. But will Am Ex claw back the points because it's a cash equivalent?

The painter still has to finish his work so the lumber company hasn't given us the final bill yet. I still have time to come up with another solution. Does anyone have a clever way to use the SPG? I had a Bluebird account but it was frozen last year.

Yesterday I got some new glasses and upgraded the lens in my sunglasses. Bill was over $800. I pull out the SPG card. "We don't take AmEx".

I did a chat on AmEx today to find out the exact date we need to make purchases to satisfy the spend requirement. It's June 2 so I have some time.

I told the chat person I'm tired of hearing "we don't take American Express because their fees are too high." I gave her the details of the 2 large spends. She said she would pass this on. She apologized for the inconvenience. Hoped I wouldn't be deterred by this one off issue. I told her it wasn't a one off issue but that it happens often.

I told her I was able to use my Chase Sapphire Reserve and it's fortunate I have the Chase card.

She gave me a reference number for the chat and said someone will be contacting me.
Old Apr 22, 17, 11:29 am

The 100K Marriott offer already requires spending more (5K instead of 3K). I think the 80K offer is also still available with spending 3K.

That's exactly my point. They are competing right now and a better offer could come along in the next 12 months. Maybe you think I'm exaggerating with 200k, but I don't think so. People would have said exactly the same thing about 100,000 miles on BA until it happened. Now 100k is the new bar. Besides 200k Marriott is < 100k BA < 100k UR and those happened.

That's not at odds with anything I've said. I'll spend more to get more.
Old Apr 22, 17, 4:50 pm

Use Plastq to pay your contractor via a check and charge it to your Amex.
Old Apr 22, 17, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by gardengirl View Post
I'm so tired of hearing "we don't take American Express".
It's not like this is a new or unknown issue. There have always been a higher percentage of merchants that don't accept Amex. Everybody knows that. If it's that big of a deal for you, then cancel your Amex cards and use something else.
Old Apr 23, 17, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10 View Post
Use Plastq to pay your contractor via a check and charge it to your Amex.
+1 for Plastiq

It takes a while to process (couple weeks) so pay it out now
Old Apr 24, 17, 11:01 am

Do you need the SPG card to get the airline transfer bonus? I can't seem to find any language that suggests that's mandatory but I'm not 100% certain either.

Search this Thread